Port or Full time vacuum - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2010, 07:03 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You haven`t said anything that is worth quoting. I didn`t say I would ban you, I can`t. I said your going to get yourself banned by coming on here with the attitude "I know it all" you think we haven`t seen your type before?
The reposting of 1 thing four times over makes you appear to be a kid and it wouldn`t come as a surprise if you were. If your not at least you can do is act like a adult. I`m a idiot? I`d rather be a idiot than a kid who runs his mouth only be proven wrong there after. I don`t have to make you look foolish, your doing a grade A job of it yourself.
You were the one who brought back a post that`s older than the hills, if this was so important to you the least you could have did was start a fresh post. Next you disrespected some members who have been here a long time and your the newbie. You attacked them and no, I didn`t attack you, I simply told it like it was, you obviously have a problem with the truth and that doesn`t surprise me either. Where did I say you were wrong? I didn`t agree with what you said and that`s not the same thing as saying your wrong, but then again, you sure aren`t right as Cobalt pointed out on the prior post. A basic small block chevy, often set to 12 degrees base timing, vac advance disconnected and plugged. Plug it to a manifold source and the timing will go up at idle to 20 to 24 degrees depending. Now, place a fully timed balancer cover and aftermarket pointer on any late 90`s computertized vehicle, connect the timing light and the base timing will be right around 24 degrees before top dead center, exactly the same place a carbed engine would run with manifold vacuum which further proves my point. Gee, I wonder why GM programmed it to be like this? I wonder why catalysts say to disconnect the vac advance and plug it when setting the base timing, as said, if it were connected to a ported source there would be no need to unplug it because there is no vacuum at idle on ported sources.
I`m pretty much done with this and with you. You must have let the petty name go to your head as you seem to believe your the richard petty of mechanics, Looks like you got black flagged.

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010, 07:13 AM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Terry Petty,

You asked to point out where you were wrong and I pointed out at least three things you said that are just plain fallacy.

By the way, could you list the brand and part number of those awesome heads that had so much port velocity they caused detonation?

DV has you pegged. You're just a snot-faced boy who is on here seeing if he can be the world's biggest troll. Well, you just go ahead and post to your little heart's content. I won't be feeding you anymore and I doubt that any other serious members on here will reply to your nonsense. Have a good life.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:14 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

TP has left the house. Doncha just hate it when your house gets TP'ed? LOL
Post #18 and beyond.

Last edited by cobalt327; 07-07-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:56 AM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Geez, what an idiot. He will really be missed.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:10 AM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

WOW, all I can say is Vacuum Really Suck's !
Old 07-07-2010, 11:40 AM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Rotflmao!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Just like a vacuum no tellin how soon he`ll get sucked right out of the room.
On the only thread he said he would "take his expertise someplace else"
I didn`t see any expertise. I saw a bunch of half baked bull.
He`s one of the types that I`ve seen only rarely, they believe they are never wrong, period. Everybody around him knows don`t argue with him cause your wasting your breath since no matter what facts you point out that prove him wrong he`s still right regardless. We had kids show up like this at tech college, it was fun making them look foolish cause we didn`t have to lift a finger to do it, they did it themselves.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

doublevision,
if you had hooked up a vac gage with a long hose for a test drive so you can read/see what the hg is "actually" doing driving normal with a load off a red light or messing around whatever,,,then why manifold worked better on that car would be simple to see...

98% chance you would have seen:
driving normal off a light the motor Hg did not drop far enough to drop to below that particular vac unit minimum Hg to be totally off,,,you were coming off idle with base and "some" vac timing still being added...
(illustration?: you were "somewhere" on the curved ramps portion/added amounts section of the chart I posted on this thread)

just for illustration say the mild cam base was 14 and driving normal off the light the Hg never went below 10Hg on the gage = 4* added from that specific unit calibration table or chart or measured with a mighty-vac gage/timing light...

what that is basically telling you is that specific motor/car combo wants to start out with,,,will tolerate,,,18 whether from/with the vac unit help on manifold or by cranking up the base timing to 18 on ported when driving normal....

preface:
"back in the horse power wars days",,,, oem Ford ported dist tuning manuals use to include wording similar to this:
"for absolute best possible motor perfomance you can increase the base timing by up to 5*'s beyond the stock (usually *8b) suggested value if driving conditions (terrain) and gas quality permits,,,adding more than 5 will not further improve performance and may cause damage...

the same does apply to performance cam shafts,,,,you want "atleast" 12-14* base on a mild cam like you listed but that is not the max it can be (to make max normal driving power on ported

"which" dist tuning path to use/choose,,,change the mech with ported or change the vac with manifold,,,,does depend on the application...
there is a list of good and bad for going either way depending on car/motor combo specific's...
Clint,
simple example for why "ported" is safer for initial WOT???
the vac adv arm is already in the full off position on ported at idle...
so on ported the arm can not ever hang/bind in the on position (degrees added position) which it "could do" when plugged into manifold "full time" vacuum source ...
(it is a low probability problem but the oem's were building/shipping many millions of cars every year)

cool rockin'
if you want to read/see a clearly written timing explaination example go back to post #23 on this thread...

where did you read that Mr Hinckley worked for GM engines design engineering dept specifically????

LOL,,,yeah just about the whole article does make me want to puke...

folks like MSD don't specifically write: "connected to ported" in the instructions for a specific dist mechanical design for no reason...

Last edited by red65mustang; 07-07-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:57 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Do what you want to Red. It's all good. I asked what your qualifications are but you gave none. Again, it's all good. Like I said before, I am not interested in the usual HRBB pizzing match over basic hotrodding.

As to who authored that article, lots have taken credit. But it would appear that an ex-GM engineer by the name of Mike Goble wrote the article. As said before, ex-GM engineer who worked on designing those systems carries more weight with me than anybody else.

Last edited by cool rockin daddy; 07-07-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
LOL, well, thats kinda like trying to talk politics with 10 different guys. Once you get past having an all stock engine, timing and how to get timing at different rpms is a matter of what works.
Agreed.However All perf engines I've owned with the current one having HEI BTW,have all wanted the lightest springs I could get on the weights so the whole curve was in by 1500-1700 rpm and forget any vac. Every time I seem to forget that along the way and get talked into vac only to end up ripping it off again. Total to 36-37 and call it good
Old 07-07-2010, 04:22 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooper
Agreed.However All perf engines I've owned with the current one having HEI BTW,have all wanted the lightest springs I could get on the weights so the whole curve was in by 1500-1700 rpm and forget any vac. Every time I seem to forget that along the way and get talked into vac only to end up ripping it off again. Total to 36-37 and call it good
If economy is of no consequence, and you don't want or more like NEED additional advance at idle, the curve you are using works.

It is more aggressive than MANY vehicles will stand for, though- I'm guessing you have all or some of: A lot of initial advance, a light vehicle, more than 6L displacement, a modest CR or a lot of cam, short rear gearing, premium fuel.

Or not. lol
Old 07-07-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
If economy is of no consequence, and you don't want or more like NEED additional advance at idle, the curve you are using works.

It is more aggressive than MANY vehicles will stand for, though- I'm guessing you have all or some of: A lot of initial advance, a light vehicle, more than 6L displacement, a modest CR or a lot of cam, short rear gearing, premium fuel.

Or not. lol
A 3750 pound 69 impala with a 383 stroker. 270 HR cam,373 gear. Ya lots of initial and premium fuel and goes like he11. Dead at 80 mph though, but zero to 80 its all over like an epileptic spider
Old 07-07-2010, 05:32 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooper
zero to 80 its all over like an epileptic spider
ROF- but getting there must be a rush!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:52 AM

Last photo:

sooper,
your post info relates to WOT tuning which is off topic for this thread...
but here is some info to consider that does kinda' relate to this thread???

to run mech only and your curve with that cam you need to have a high (enough) idle rpm to make enough Hg to keep the cylinders/plugs clean period!!!

with a dual plane intake and say 18 base that cam can/will only make about 8Hg in drive at a stop light at 800rpms with mech only (depends on the convertor load)...
but
can make "maybe" 14Hg (depending on the amount of convertor added load) with just 200 more rpms in drive idle added on mechanical only in drive at a light....

your wicked fast (basically for "race only") cent curve is going to bite you in the butt if you don't do everything possible to keep any carbon from building up in the chamber by having about/atleast 18Hg idle...
(your driving a time bomb and the clock is ticking!!!!)

you have a second time bomb ticking...
270 cam HP peak is 5900 so with 3.73 gears the motor should not croak at just 80mph...
play it safe and put some 2800 springs back in the dist till you sort out why...
(the HEI mdule and/or coil are a problem source suspect for why and just one hiccup with your curve is "kaboom")
Old 07-08-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red65mustang
sooper,
your post info relates to WOT tuning which is off topic for this thread...
but here is some info to consider that does kinda' relate to this thread???

to run mech only and your curve with that cam you need to have a high (enough) idle rpm to make enough Hg to keep the cylinders/plugs clean period!!!

with a dual plane intake and say 18 base that cam can/will only make about 8Hg in drive at a stop light at 800rpms with mech only (depends on the convertor load)...
but
can make "maybe" 14Hg (depending on the amount of convertor added load) with just 200 more rpms in drive idle added on mechanical only in drive at a light....

your wicked fast (basically for "race only") cent curve is going to bite you in the butt if you don't do everything possible to keep any carbon from building up in the chamber by having about/atleast 18Hg idle...
(your driving a time bomb and the clock is ticking!!!!)

you have a second time bomb ticking...
270 cam HP peak is 5900 so with 3.73 gears the motor should not croak at just 80mph...
play it safe and put some 2800 springs back in the dist till you sort out why...
(the HEI mdule and/or coil are a problem source suspect for why and just one hiccup with your curve is "kaboom")
The 270 HR cam has a peak of 5000 rpm and we all know if they advertize a cam from idle to 5000,thats really 1500 to oh say 46-4700. You never get all of what they say. Me plugs is as tanned brown all over as they come, so I think I'll sit on the bomb for now, she just running to good. It lubs around with mileage that near rivals my 08 chevy cobalt and goes like scat. Me happy
Closed Thread

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.