Port matching intake - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2005, 07:44 PM
She got the Rod, I got the sha

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Port matching intake

I just read an article http://circletrack.com/techarticles/general/139_0305_intake_flow/ which is what im thinking of doing with my new heads and intake.
Would it be worth messing with if this is not a race engine, Any real advantage for a 383 stroker for the street.

With the new heads they sent this #!*& plastic intake gasket set, which is WAY to large to match the intake runners. Im talking about .250 larger all the way arount the head runner.

The heads are vortec's and the intake is an Air-gap, Can anyone recommend a gasket that will ATLEAST protrude into the runner, and be a quality gasket I can work with.

Thanks DJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2005, 08:26 PM

Last photo:

Fel-pro 1205 should fit just fine an there's really no need to port match an intake unless you're looking for the last 1/2hp or have verified a serious misalignment between the head and intake.

Spend your time and money on other things like a valve job and bowl porting and you'll get actual results.

Larry
Old 03-03-2005, 08:37 PM
More dogs than bones

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

i disagree all my intakes are ported as my heads. i gasket match everything at least. just to use that $14 mini die from harbor freight. it is good experience for you to buzz that thing around. is it worth it, i cant feel a difference. and i dont want any obstructions or casting flash corrupting my flow. plus i have piece of mind that things will work together,and youve done everything you cant to maximaze build potential with no cost in money. free hp is what most of us look for here ,right?.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:16 PM

The mismatch that hurts is if the head port is smaller than the intake port. If your intake is slightly smaller than the head that in some cases can help (in a very very small way) due to slowing down reversion. At least that's the theory as I have never seen a wet flow test of this.

Really though you want to wait until you get the gaskets and see how the match up. If everything is close and the head port is not overhanging into the intake then it's good enough. It's a nice thing to do but not anything to loose sleep over.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:35 PM
She got the Rod, I got the sha

Last photo:

Alrighty then,

Thanks for the feedback guys, its nice to have a place where you can get an answer to those nagging questions..

I'll check the match for sure and also get the gasket to atleast have a unbroken path to the combustion chamber.

And i will take the high-spots outta the cast-iron.
Thanks again
Old 03-04-2005, 10:10 AM

Last photo:

Port Matching

As for port matching, I only match the port of the head to the gasket and dont mess with the runner on the intake manifold. The reason being is that there is a pesky little thing called core shifting, which will cause ports to come up slightly out of alignment. By just matching the head port to the gasket, this assures that the intake runner will flow into the head without any obstruction. Picture it from this point. If you match both of them, then you wont have cured any possibility of port misalignment. Imagine a garden hose pointed into a funnel opening. When you only match the head side to the gasket, this is the effect you have, (of course not to that extreme), but it will ensure that your intake runner flows unobstructed into the head. The only grinding I do on an intake is to assure there is no casting flash in the runners, and to make sure there isnt an inverted lip at the runner exit.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.