Which Portable Heater Is Best For My Garage? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007, 12:38 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Which Portable Heater Is Best For My Garage?

Hey guys,

I am looking for a heater for my 2 car garage. I don't have 220 so I want to go with a kerosene or propane heater. Which type is best? Which one will heat up the most space? Which one will not smell as much? Where do I purchase one (Home Depot has a lot in stock now) I am sure I am missing some questions. What are the pros and cons of each and what do you recommend. As always whatever I receive from you is better than the info I have now. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2007, 12:54 PM

Last journal entry: Headlights added
Last photo:

Dyna-glo Pro 100K BTU LP FA Heater I got this one and it works great.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart
Dyna-glo Pro 100K BTU LP FA Heater I got this one and it works great.
What is needed for proper safe ventilation of that heater?
Old 01-03-2007, 01:22 PM

Last journal entry: Headlights added
Last photo:

It takes about 10 min to heat my garage up, 2 car, it dries out the air really bad. I open the door about once an hour just to replace the old dry air. I think if you had a small vent tube this my help.

Bart
Old 01-03-2007, 01:23 PM

Last photo:

I have a hatch leading into the attic space that should work? It is vented outside via the gable vent? Where is a good place to buy one and how much do they cost?
Old 01-03-2007, 01:27 PM

Last photo:

I use two propane heaters, one a single the other a double, and they work great. The other morning it was 18 degrees outside and 35 in the garage. I fired up the heaters at 6:00 in the morning and by 8:00 it was comfortable enough to work in a sweat shirt. By 10:00 it was 70 degrees in the garage. I turned off the double heater and worked the rest of the day in a teeshirt. It was still only 32 outside. The trick is to get a cheap ceiling fan, I got one at Home Depot for $20.00, mount it as high as you can and have it circulate all that hot air that goes up back down.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:47 PM

Last photo:

I use a torpedo heater and it works well but is noisy. I wouldn't paint with it on in the same room though.

You can do a search on garage heating and come up with a lot of info.

Danny
Old 11-19-2007, 05:27 AM

Portable propane heater

I am in the same situation. I want to buy a portable propane haeter here.
However I am not sure if a propane heater is the best choice for a garage heater. Would't it be safer to use electric heater instead? What do you think?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:14 PM

Last photo:

Which Portable Heater Is Best For My Garage?

rent one to see if it bothers your breathing ,nose dry up or head aches .
gas will also dry you out , kerosene will give you head aches .
electric best if you have breathing problems.
out side wood furnace heating circulating fluid through a coil with fan heat exchanger , run one to your house and heat it also .

i have a large shop and used the barrel with barrel on top with tubes run through it and a fan behind it ,go from 20 to 95 in minutes with 2by 4's for starting, drip your used oil and watch it chug .just remember to bang the suit down to keep from roasting your shop.use a AC thermostat and when it gets hot it will turn fan on when the fire dies down you want be wasting electric or blowing cold air around .
Old 11-19-2007, 08:52 PM

Last photo:

heating

I've been thinking about going with radiant heating that would install at ceiling height. There are alot of people that swear by them and even thou I havn't tried them, I would like to hear others on this board that use them.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:52 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Get something safe to run in a closed area...it's not worth ending up in the obituaries.

There are small wall mount propane units also small fueloil units for mobile homes, etc.

I tried a new propane torpedo for a half hour while I was installing a house furnace in my garage. It used up all the air plus added CO. I did not feel good and went in the house to sit....and passed out for an hour. Be safe...not cheap
Old 11-20-2007, 08:06 AM

Last photo:

Since he was needing that heater LAST winter I would hope he has one by now.

Good info anyway and with winter coming up a lot of people are looking to either add to an old system or install a heater in a previously unheated garage. Seems as if there is a safety warning for about everything we want to do, so many in fact that some of us tend to take these warnings too lightly because of warning "overload". We tend to hear the warnings about products but never hear about, and never have heard of, any harm coming from most of them so it becomes easy to take the warnings lightly but DON'T DO IT WITH HEATERS! This is one warning that should be heeded because every year there are cases of people getting sick and even dying, sometimes more than one victim per incident, so this certainly can and unfortunately does happen! Almost every thing we take out of a box is cluttered with warning labels but in this case read and follow the labels to the letter and if you are unsure about ANYTHING get advice from an expert. Illness and even fatalities result every winter from improperly used and/or installed heaters and fires from these cause huge amounts of property damage but it does not need to happen. Follow the labels and get professional installation help if unsure and DON'T become one of the statistics that are recorded each year!
Old 11-22-2007, 07:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizualbod
I am in the same situation. I want to buy a portable propane haeter here.
However I am not sure if a propane heater is the best choice for a garage heater. Would't it be safer to use electric heater instead? What do you think?
If you have electricity, put in electric baseboard heaters with their own thermostats. They are very inexpensive. If you want them to be portable, just wire them with cords and plugs. They can be wired for either 120 volts or 240 volts. The heating element is encased in a ceramic tube and surrounded by aluminum fins, so there's no "glowing" element to ignite fumes, sawdust, or whatever. I have two 7 foot baseboard heaters in my garage workshop (which is 12 feet by 30 feet) and they heat up the place to 70 degrees in less than 1/2 hour. My workshop is insulated, but we get very cold weather.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.