Portable Paint booth fan - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2006, 09:25 AM
Rust makes me cuss

Last journal entry: Subaru Van
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Portable Paint booth fan

I'm setting up a home made paint booth in a corner of my shop and wondered if this fan would work well?. Most of these fans are 10,000 CFM. I would put filters in front, and use it to pull air from the booth @ one one end, ducting the exhaust outside. Incoming filtered (and heated) fresh air from the opposite end.

http://www.arizonatools.com/tools/sh...ail/TPIPB36-D/

My thinking for going portable....It would be nice to use it on hot days when not painting, for some cool air, and to be able to move it around. And..... for pulling stinky car exhaust out of the shop on occasion.Also, I dont like the idea of cutting a hole in the side of my building.... Security and asthetics reasons.

Any advice ? Maybe too much CFM? Thanks for your input. Mark

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Last photo:

Motor is not explosion proof, switch is not explosion proof. Do not use the fan to pull air from the booth, use it to push air into the booth. That way the fan is not exposed to a potentially explosive atmosphere.

Vince
Old 10-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Rust makes me cuss

Last journal entry: Subaru Van
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
Motor is not explosion proof, switch is not explosion proof. Do not use the fan to pull air from the booth, use it to push air into the booth. That way the fan is not exposed to a potentially explosive atmosphere.

Vince
Great idea. I didn't think of that. Except.... the only drawback may be too much air blowing on the car. I was planning on using the fan to draw air through the booth and out a partially open bay door. Quite some distance downstream from the car. 10-15 ft away. If I was to use the fan to blow air in, it would have to be much closer to my work, and may affect the spray of the gun.
Thanks Mark
Old 10-05-2006, 04:00 PM

Last photo:

I have an attic fan that looks a lot like that. Haven't had any problems as of yet with stuff exploding with the filtered paint and solvents going through it. I also have my compressor with its switch and motor in the painting area, no other place to put it. Maybe I like living on the edge or am just crazy.Mine is only 3000 cfm on high, but I don't even keep it on the high setting and it clears the overspray out of my 1 stall pretty well, I really don't think you would need 10000 cfm if you have a booth that is not too much larger then the vehicles you will be painting. Plus there is such a thing as too much air and can stir more stuff around to land in the fresh paint. Maybe if you aren't looking at explosion proof motors, get one where the motor drives the fan with a belt so you wont be pulling solvent through the motor, but the blades of the fan still could cause a spark if made of metal. If you want to go positive, I would think if you keep the cfm reasonable and you inlet was in the ceiling roof area and filtered, the air blowing in wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.