portable welding help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2005, 08:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

portable welding help

i just want to know a few things about portable welding on stainless and aluminium is a 240v mig welder running of a 240v generator able to weld stainless and aluminium up to 10mm thick with out any problems .any other ideas on portable welding of stainless and aluminium would be great aswell ,also what size generator would be the go and how many amps do u need to weld these materials - whats diffrent methods of this kind of welding suitable with out 3 phase ,or do i need 3phase generator and welder

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2005, 08:53 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Miller bobcat, Lincoln ranger and I believe Hobart has a model..these are engine driven units, use gas or diesel power. about 10 kw standby generators..they will weld about anything with the right accessories..Not cheap tho..

These are genuine industrial grade units used by the pros for welding in the field..To weld aluminum it is recommended you use a spool gun..A MIG unit will weld stainless..

These units will also TIG if equipped to do so..

OMT
Old 01-30-2005, 10:16 PM

Last photo:

Stuck-Are you wanting to run a 240v mig from a separate generator? If so it will work IF the welder current draw doesn't exceed the outlet rating on the generator. The Miller, Lincoln Ranger and Hobart Champion all will mig weld just fine, just add a wire feed unit and gas and you are ready to weld, no need for a separate 240v welder.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:22 AM

thankx fellas

i was hoping to run the mig of the 240v generator for stainless and aluminium and a stick-tig inverter of the generator when needed, just thought they loose power when using a petrol generator also my stick inverter is fairly small and wondering about the amps i need to weld aluminium and stainless with this tig set up.what amps is sufficient , and thankx again
Old 01-31-2005, 08:15 AM

Last photo:

Stuck-What is the output ratings on your generator?(amps, watts) What are the power requirements of the welders you want to run? These specifications should be listed on each machine. If the generator power output is rated higher than the welding machines it will work just fine but if power output rating is lower on the generator it will not work even if the voltage is the same. If the generator is rated high enough to run your welder then there should be no power loss.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:45 PM

thaknx old red im am about to buy the generator and mig so if i just keep this all in mind i shall have no worries? what do u think the best generator and mig setup would be for rugged conditions and every day use.thankx again
Old 01-31-2005, 04:29 PM

Last photo:

Stuck-If you have not bought this equipment yet then there is a much better way to go. I assumed that you already owned the 240v welder and the generator and wanted to use what you had. While this setup would work it would be marginal at best and I would not recommend it unless you already have everything. What would be a LOT better would be a portable welder such as the Miller Bobcat, Lincoln Ranger or Hobart Champion with a separate wire feed unit such as the Lincoln LN 25. With this setup you would have a 100% duty cycle and the ability to use bigger wire than most small 240v units can handle. These wire feeders use welding current from the welder for operating and welding power and can run continuously at full power without the cool down periods required for most small MIGs. Also you would have the added benefit of a 10,000 watt generator in addition to the welder to run other tools such as a grinder and lights. The welders I mentioned can be found for less than $3000(I saw the Hobart recently for $2499) and a generator big enough to run a MIG to do what you want would cost nearly as much. Prices vary widely so check the discount places like Northern tool. www.northerntool.com or Harbor Freight www.harborfreight.com
Old 01-31-2005, 05:01 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Oldred is right on!!

Yeah when one considers that a good welding setup is likely to have a working life measured in years it pays off to do the homework and get the good one up front..

And why portable anyway?? I can see it if one is on a farm or doing heavy equipment..Piplining in the oil fields things like that or having that sort of thing if one is a touring pro racer but for a home setup? one of the SP 175 MIG machines from lincoln, Miller of Hobart will give years of good service..

Now given this and portable is really needed check the equipment trader and Little Nickel want ads and the engine driven units do show up from time to time..that is if one is patient and does not need one today..

My thoughts on welders..

OMT
Old 02-01-2005, 02:44 AM

thankx fellas now im realy starting to think,,,,,,, u see im starting up my own business and im leaving boilermaking, steel fabrication.To become a mobile welder but i need to run mig (as it is alot quicker then tig to weld )- stainless, aluminium i have the stick-tig inverter already and is a top little unit that runs of a 240v power source . im willing to spend 4 to $5000au on a welder generator (im australian but dont hold that against me ,,,please) i have found this generator/welder on ebay *200dc, 4.5kw,9.9hp diesel welder *f400 diesel engine, elec start, 4 stroke,direct injection ,low fuel consumption. *welder- 2.0-3.2 rods,load voltage60v,welding volts 30-36v *weld current 80-200amps,continous output 4.2kw max 4.5kw *circuit breaker,12volt,8amp unregulated dc output *can i get a seperate wire feeder for this type of welder/generator and run tools .cheers
Old 02-01-2005, 09:07 AM

Last photo:

Stuck-That welder looks a tad small, you will need at least 225 amp and yes those wire feeders will run from any DC welding source. Welding machines are kind of like a compressor, that is I have never heard anyone complain that their rig is to big but I have heard a lot of complaints about being to small. What will you be welding the most stick,MIG or TIG? Also if you are planning to weld out doors MIG and TIG can sometimes be a real bear due to drafty conditions contaminating the shielding gas. BTW got to visit Australia some years back and I absolutely love the place.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Field welding

Well Hi there..I can safely say that after the years of being in industry I know what you have in mind now..

Typical American pro portable rig is a I ton or 1 1/2 ton truck with either a Miller or Lincoln welder mounted..A set of BIIG cutting torches Victor or similar..150 to 200 ft of leads..on the welder..and of course all the hand tools and such that go along with all of this..

Typical jobs are hard-facing some guys bulldozer blade..fixing some guys harvest equipment on a farm..welding all day on structural steel for some building contractor..maybe even getting a job in an oil terminal welding pipe..Shipbuilders or fishing industry may use your service..

Point being you need for this the industrial all day go get it type of equipment..

Go to www.cyberweld.com or centralweldingsupply.com hope those links work for you..and look at some of that equipment online..

Your TIG is a wonderful capability but I dunno just how much you may use it..

For aluminum you will need the spool gun..ever seen one..it is a MIG welder all incorporated into the handle..runs aluminum wire all day long RELIABLY and this is essential..

BTW: How are your mechanics skills? have the tools and such to do a complete repair for a client.

I am not trying to discourage you but just give you some idea of what is involved..

Good luck with your endeavor..

BTW I am not stuck on the American equipment as in your area you may have some different equipment that would work for you..

Good luck

OMT
Old 02-01-2005, 05:58 PM

i thought that would be 2 small , only welding aluminium brackets , small frames and truck tray repairs and dont see much stainless work either ,but if im gunna do this mobile welding ill have to have the right gear ,i do have alot of gear my self (pices and bits over the years )i wont give a list and i like to think that im a good fabricator and have been known for my welding onsite, u see i have been told by a doctor that i need to take my skills somewhere else because i have a bad back. i belive where i live that moblie welders r rare i have looked into it for sum time now and belive i can make some money again at my own pase,what about esab welder as follows *300 at 30% *250 at 60% and 200 at 100% duty cycle *open circuit voltage of 65 *setting range 20-300 **single phase 230v and three phase 400v , i think that this one might be the go ,old red australia does have some great potential and glad you liked it , i love it
Old 02-01-2005, 07:39 PM

Last photo:

Stuck-ESAB makes great gear, some of the best. I don't know what you have there as to brand names but the equipment I mentioned is just what I am familiar with here and it is by no means the only good stuff out there. As long as you are not going to be relining dozer blades or something like that and just doing light repair work then the specs you mention will probably work. I hope to visit again someday, GREAT place to be
Old 02-01-2005, 08:41 PM

Last photo:

HOLD the presses! Before you buy, concider a machine that will run a lower voltage for mig welding. I'm looking at the Miller 302 because of its finer controls. It will operate at as low as 13V for mig welding and has much better control for tig as well. As I do mostly industrial sheetmetal fab, and have found the LN25 on a ranger runs too hot. I used Reddi-arc 300 amp units with the LN25 feeder for boiler stacks...forget it. I tossed the feeder and grabbed some rods. The LN25 is pretty bulky too. You can run a simple shop feeder for half the price if you dont need a weather-proof unit. Surprisingly the Trailblazer 302 isnt that much more money than the Bobcat 225 or 250 machines. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:02 AM

Last photo:

Gear-I recommended the LN25(or something similar)because it is a heavy duty full time unit that is tough as nails and about as trouble free as one could hope for. A "simple shop feeder" IF you are talking about a 240v MIG unit will not have full time capability due to the duty cycle unless you go to one of the larger units which would be even bulkier than the LN25. I use a Lincoln Ranger 8 with the LN25 for all light Field MIG work like cab repair and vent ducting, also it works great for thin stainless which we do quite often at a coal prep plant. I just would not recommend any shop machine, that is meant for inside duty, be used outside on a regular basis due to the conditions one can encounter. At least with the type of work we are doing here, Stuck may not run into severe outside conditions but a shop welder is not designed for rain and blowing dust or the general all around beating a portable outside unit encounters despite your best efforts. That LN25 will take a "lickin and keep on tickin" you can count on it. Ok now we are getting into a subject that would best be discussed on another forum since rock truck cabs and coal prep plants are kinda off in left field here.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.