Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Porting 396 chev oval port heads to rectangular port
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 12:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
I have a pair of these rect-oval ported heads in my "Do not do" archives. Whenever a customer asks about "converting" a set of oval port heads. I show them. A lot of work for nothing. Th only "port match" is at the gasket surface. There isn't enuff material in the upper port to even come close to a rectangle port match.

The Super Stock drag racers in the seventies used rectangle port intakes on oval port heats on a regular basis. I've built a few street/strip BBC's this way and have seen no ill effects. As stated, Just use the rectangle port gasket.

I beg to differ, I have done a set of Squirvel ports on my dads 496....although you are right not much material on the roof BUT enough to make the top of the port Square and the bottom I left Oval...and it works really to good, as he already damaged the TH400 whitch had all new clutches re-built, and has recently switch to a bulletproof TH350 with a brake...it will be running soon and i will take pics/vid of the car so all might see what the "sqirvel ports" can do with port work