Hot Rod Forum banner

porting 882s at home,no machine work, rebuild, will it work? what are they capable of

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  dh79 
#1 ·
I have the 33882 heads on my 350, I want to make the most out of them with out spending much money on them. So, I want to just take them off the engine, dissesemble the entire head, clean everything, then do a regular simple porting in the runners, then put the head back together and slap it on. Retain all the stock parts, (but replace the part you would usaly repace for cam...springs) unless something needs to be replceed. Not mess with the valves or bowl or seat or anyhting etc. WIll it work? What HP #s are these heads capable of stock? ported? Also, I want to raise my compression, how much can a thin gasket bump the compression? and how much does it cost to get heads milled? Thanks

#2 ·
Warrant,
The simple answer is YES. Saying how much power you can produce is not really possible. I went 12.50's with those heads on a 383 (street tires pump gas, 10:1 compression, hyd. cam). As far as milling them to get compression I don't think those heads are a good choice for thet. They are a light weight casting and already prone to cracking. I wouldn't mill them. Porting will help and they are pretty cheap heads so if you mess up, finding a replacement will be cheap. They will respond best to bowl area work on the exhaust side, that is where I would start. Just have to be real careful of the seats (tape them up with heavy tape). Those are 76cc heads so getting the compression up in a 350 will be a challenge. Go with the thinnest head gasket you can find (stay away from copper for a street car). Your compression will still not be very high, if you have stock or flat top pistons.

With all that said there are much better heads out there, which you already know. I knew that when I played with mine too, but I wanted to experiment so I did. In the end I had more into the heads than they were worth, but they did perform good for what they were.

#4 ·
Had some bud`s that I donated a set of 882`s to last summer and after enlarging to 2.02/1.60`s and port work (done by a local guy) on a 383 with flat tops and in a back halfed S10 it ran 11.40`s and with a hyd. cam (around .540 lift) so they can make power... :thumbup:

Just a light casting and dont get`em hot...

#5 ·
""I have the 33882 heads on my 350, I want to make the most out of them with out spending much money on them. So, I want to just take them off the engine, dissesemble the entire head, clean everything, then do a regular simple porting in the runners, then put the head back together and slap it on. Retain all the stock parts, (but replace the part you would usaly repace for cam...springs) unless something needs to be replceed. Not mess with the valves or bowl or seat or anyhting etc. WIll it work? What HP #s are these heads capable of ?""""

If you do no bowl work. You are just wasting time.

IF they aren't cracked, you probably find that they need guides. So you better figure on that also. If they need guides, then they have to have a valve job. Modern seals need guides cut anyway. Also figure on new valves. As yours are over twenty years old. Then new retainers to match springs and locks to match retainers. RULE OF THUMB.. Heads make the power.. Twenty year old stock junk will not make power well. Or live long!!!!

#6 ·
camaroman7d said:
Warrant,
The simple answer is YES. Saying how much power you can produce is not really possible. I went 12.50's with those heads on a 383 (street tires pump gas, 10:1 compression, hyd. cam).

Glad to hear this cause I bought a fresh set of these, Not sure there 882s but there 76cc heads , can't remember the head #s but I looked the #s up when I bought them(well they were run about 2000mi, then the guy went with aftermarket heads on a 383) there done with the 202 / 160 valves installed and a 3 angle valve job, and new springs with some porting & polishing and gasket matching done, they look machine shop fresh, (I guess they are:) I paid $250 for em. I'm planning on using them on a 10.1 CR 383 stroker.

Mustangsaly

#7 ·
Gasket matching or any other porting to the runners is a waste of time if you don't improve the bowls, seats, and chambers. On a stock head, the gasket areas and proximal runners aren't the major areas of flow restriction. Remember, the whole point of porting is to increase the flow into the combustion chamber. You need to improve the restriction points. At a minimum, clean up any obvious restrictions in the bowl. Backcutting the valves helps for flow in the important low-mid lift range. Deschrouding the valve by cutting back the chamber will also help the overall flow.
And as mentioned previously, if the heads are high mileage and require new seats or guides, neglecting these will make your engine a poorly performing time bomb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.