porting heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2002, 12:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post porting heads

I've been doing some reading about porting and polishing heads anybody have any info on this before I tear something up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2002, 02:20 PM

I have done some home porting but if you don't have a flow bench I would limit my self to matching ports, pocket jobs and flashing removal, especially on the intakes the exhausts are a little more forgiving
Old 01-01-2002, 02:40 PM

you mean like don't take out to much just take out what looks like casting bumps and such?
Old 01-03-2002, 03:23 AM

yes thats basically it. You can smooth out the ridges in the valve pockets be careful of the seats, and thin out and streamline the valve guide mounds a bit but stay away from the end of the guide.Now if the heads are for the street(I'm probably going to catch flack here)don't go for any multi angled valve job the hp gain is minimal and the single wider cut will last longer especially for everyday driving.The exhaust ports can be opened up and smoothed out and shape of the exit changed,raising the top of the port exit is most benificial ,but don't get crazy with it.I guess when it comes to home port jobs the key word would be " clean up"
Old 01-04-2002, 04:09 PM

hey oldsnut did you get the email I sent a couple but don't know where they went
Old 01-04-2002, 09:32 PM

Porting heads for a street car is very simple. Do not over due you can loose more HP then you will gain with a bad port job. Put your intake and ex gaskets on the heads and cut the head to the size of the gasket.Then take out all the flack inside the port and you are done. We have found in a street car you do not want to polish the ports it needs the roughness to mix the air and gas right. Do the intake the same way. ROY
Old 01-05-2002, 10:11 AM

guy's i really appreciate the imfo, gonna take my time and try'in do a good job and I'll let you know how they come out.as far as the email,I did'nt get it.
Old 01-24-2002, 08:11 PM
At a loss for words

Bringing back an older post with some new info. Car Craft (seems that I push that mag a little doesn't it?) just had a really good article on porting heads. You should check it out. I have the issue so I suppose I could scan it and send it to anyone who wants it. Send me an e-mail and we'll work something up.
Also, I was told that Standard Abrasives has a good article on their website about porting.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:31 AM

In reply to head porting article, it's great.
I went into standard abrasives web site, in motorsport division. they will let you down load a .pdf file of the article, also there is an engine block prep article.
I know it sounds like an infomercial, I was going to send my heads out before the rebuild, not no more. they are getting done in my garage. Including the block and insides.
I'm not sure if i can post the actual web site, if I get a couple of yeahs it'll get done.
Thanks
Old 01-30-2002, 08:41 AM
At a loss for words

Sounds like a good idea to me. I have a 4 cylinder engine in a Mazda that I use as a work car during the summer. I think I might port the head on there just for the fun of it!
Just be careful when you do your heads. One of my brother's friends was porting a set for his '71 Nova and ended up putting his finger right through one of the walls because he took it down too much.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.