Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Porting intake manifolds, is it a waste of time?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005, 07:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Blocks Rock
I have an add on question. I plan on working a Dodge 383 with MPI for the future, I'm planning on welding bungs onto a Edlebrock single plane manifold and matching it to a set of Edlebrock heads. I want to see if I can port the heads myself and I will match the heads and intake to the gasket. Question is, would I get any performance out of porting and polishing the single plane? I would think that it would. Most of the plenum will just be air, so I wont need the vaporization effect in that area. Oh almost forgot, I am looking at turbocharging it also. I feel that the smooth surface should help in the plenum, especially for the fact that it will be a positive charge. Any comments?
I dont think there is any more need to polish the intake on a turbo application. However, I have read that a perfect turbo intake would have only an open plenium all the way to the valves rather than split ports. Personnally, I am not going to be the first person to try that

Chris