Posi or not - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 04:02 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Posi or not

Looking for folks that are running 500+ HP in cars less than 1800 lbs.

Folks, I'm looking to be schooled. I have run posi before but on a car as light as ours (mine is 1790 lb), I have found that for any given tread patch area, our light cars will generally accelerate with minimum tire spin. Now that I have my little Track-T in the rarefied air you guys have been accustomed to (3.4 lb per HP), my first 40 miles of driving have me seeking advice from those that have been there, done that.

I was driving north on twisty hwy 49 about 2 miles from my house when I had an opportunity to roll some throttle on in 2nd gear. I was behind 3 cars as we entered (2) S curves with posted speed limits of 15 mph. After the second curve the road gets very steep and straightens out for about 200' but has a crest that blocks my view of any oncoming traffic, so I never pass there. After the crest it again gets steep but now I can see the road ahead for about 400' and have passed on this stretch before. This time with the new 427, the rate of acceleration was most satisfying, much more than the 355 or 383, even though one of the rear tires was spinning.

My question, is the increased rate of acceleration worth it? Is it much of an increase? I would prefer the safety aspect of no posi because when traction is lost on one tire the car still tracks straight. On my heavy hot rods I had no choice but to go with posi, and when both rear tires broke loose on a crowned road, then I had my hands full keeping it on the road.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 04:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

"and when both rear tires broke loose on a crowned road, then I had my hands full keeping it on the road."

Been there! Tries to take the low side, turns your knuckles white and underwear brown..But without the posi my Sportsmans get all smoky and sticky on one side..
Old 02-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Not to sure where your aways gone in such a hurry that you have to pass everyone up... beating everyone to the top of the hill will sooner are later catch up with you,, It's like riding a motor cycle,, They will get you sooner or later,, Becareful,, But I would never have 500+ hp in a car without a Posi... My roadster was as light as your's, Not 500 hp,, But it had a lot per pound,,

And I had no posi in it when I first built it,,Didn't take me long to add it,,, I like when I stick my foot in it, It stay's straite..
Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
Not to sure where your aways gone in such a hurry that you have to pass everyone up... beating everyone to the top of the hill will sooner are later catch up with you,, It's like riding a motor cycle,, They will get you sooner or later,, Becareful,, But I would never have 500+ hp in a car without a Posi... My roadster was as light as your's, Not 500 hp,, But it had a lot per pound,,

And I had no posi in it when I first built it,,Didn't take me long to add it,,, I like when I stick my foot in it, It stay's straite..
My Corvette and blown 427 '55 Ford both had posi and on a crowned highway didn't stay straight when both tires lost traction. The fact that my rate of acceleration was much improved over the 355 and 383 with one tire spinning vs no tires spinning on the same place on the highway tells me that maybe I'm not losing much acceleration on a car as light as mine with the loss of traction on one tire. On the heavy cars I noticed a big drop in acceleration when both tires lost traction and then it would get squirrely, but today the rate of acceleration seemed constant with one tire spinning.

Still looking for others with < 1800 lbs cars to comment, as it stands I think for safety I'll not switch to posi.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.