Posi Rear end gear oil problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2006, 09:36 AM
Searching for horsepower

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Posi Rear end gear oil problem

I have a 12 bolt rear end (posi) that I just changed the gear oil in. The gear oil is coming out of the upper breather valve.
Here is what I did. After removing the old oil, I put the cover back on with a new gasket. I put the posi additive in first (Trans-X Posi Additive) then I put the gear oil in (Stay-Lube 80W90... API GL-5 Plus) It took about a gallon and a quart. I brought the oil up to a 1/2 inch below the fill plug.
At this point I took it out and drove it around. I took a look underneath for any leaks around the gasket. That is when I noticed it coming out around the upper valve.
It seems to blow out when I am driving, then once I am stopped, the oil that came out, drips off the axle onto the ground. About a tablespoon each time out.
It does not continue to leak after I park. I rechecked the oil level. It is still 1/2 inch below the fill plug.
Any idea why this would happen? Is there a incompatibility with these oils?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky jinx
I have a 12 bolt rear end (posi) that I just changed the gear oil in. The gear oil is coming out of the upper breather valve.
Here is what I did. After removing the old oil, I put the cover back on with a new gasket. I put the posi additive in first (Trans-X Posi Additive) then I put the gear oil in (Stay-Lube 80W90... API GL-5 Plus) It took about a gallon and a quart. I brought the oil up to a 1/2 inch below the fill plug.
At this point I took it out and drove it around. I took a look underneath for any leaks around the gasket. That is when I noticed it coming out around the upper valve.
It seems to blow out when I am driving, then once I am stopped, the oil that came out, drips off the axle onto the ground. About a tablespoon each time out.
It does not continue to leak after I park. I rechecked the oil level. It is still 1/2 inch below the fill plug.
Any idea why this would happen? Is there a incompatibility with these oils?

is the fill plug in the cover? Is it possible the cover upside down with fill plug at a higher point?

5 quarts( gallon plus one quart) is too much oil for the 12 bolt diff
Old 05-13-2006, 03:53 PM

Crosley is right about the oil quantity.
Was this filled with the axle level? Did you fill it with the rear up and nose down?? The diff assembly must be filled with the car level to the ground. On end or one side higher than the other is a no-no
Old 05-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Searching for horsepower

Last photo:

The cover is in the correct position. It is a Moser rear cover and it has "USA" at the top and "Moser" in the middle. See picture below.....
When I rechecked the level, the car was on the ground...no jacks...and the car is level, front to back.
I agree that a gallon and a quart seemed to much to me, but I figured it needed to be filled to the level of the fill plug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04242.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	12189  
Old 05-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Can that name plate be removed and turned around? If so it looks like the cover is on upside down. I have never seen a filler plug up that high. Too much gear oil in your rear end is the problem...its building up pressure and blowing it out the vent.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:14 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Is there a fill hole in the front side of the diff housing?
Old 05-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Last photo:

I agree, looks like the cover is on upside down. But I wonder if the stud girdles will still match up if you change it.

Vince
Old 05-13-2006, 09:11 PM

The cover is on corrrectly. The problem is the fill hole in the cover is too high for the diff. Use the FACTORY fill hole to check the proper level. It is located in the differential casting, along the pinion centerline, behind the pinion yoke.
The proper oil fill level for ANY diff is the centerline of the axles. The fill hole in the cover you have is significantly higher than that.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Searching for horsepower

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
I agree, looks like the cover is on upside down. But I wonder if the stud girdles will still match up if you change it.

Vince
If you notice, the typical Chevy curve is just above the filler plug, so the cover is right side up. And I believe it is shaped like that to allow enough space for the gear cluster. And as far as the name plate being removable......No.

But now that I take a closer look at the position of the filler plug compared to the original one, it "is" higher on the cover and I will bet they moved it up to allow for the "Moser" to be where it is on the cover. I looked again at the instructions, and it only talks about cover bolt, and stud girdle torque numbers. It says nothing about how much, in volume, gear oil to put in, or even makes one aware of the reposition of the plug.....not good.
Let me ask this question then, how much ( in quarts ??) "should" be in a 12 bolt Chevy rear end? I have always just filled it to the plug line.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:51 PM
Searching for horsepower

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazmac
The cover is on correctly. The problem is the fill hole in the cover is too high for the diff. Use the FACTORY fill hole to check the proper level. It is located in the differential casting, along the pinion centerline, behind the pinion yoke.
The proper oil fill level for ANY diff is the centerline of the axles. The fill hole in the cover you have is significantly higher than that.
I will have to agree with you Chazmac. I mistakenly made the assumption that the hole was in the correct position. Now that I look at what you pointed out about the height of the fill plug, it is obvious it is much higher, a point I wish Moser would have brought to my attention. I am going to use the fill hole at the pinion yoke. I will just open it up and let it drain until it is level with the bottom of the hole.
Thanks for the info
Old 05-13-2006, 10:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

good to read problem solved.

you would think Moser would provide some information on the fill hole
Old 05-13-2006, 11:46 PM
Searching for horsepower

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
good to read problem solved.

you would think Moser would provide some information on the fill hole
Ditto...
thanks to all
Old 05-14-2006, 08:36 AM
Searching for horsepower

Last photo:

Another thought...
now that it has become obvious that I inadvertently put to much gear oil ( maybe 3 pints to much) in, and since I put a Posi additive in. Is the mix of additive and gear oil off by to much? Or can I just drain down the mix that is in there to the level it should be, and not worry about the mix?
Or do I need to start from scratch
Old 05-14-2006, 09:58 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Typical capacity for most passenger / light truck is approximately 3 Litres (or US quarts).

If you have added the additive to 5 Qts, then you have effectively diluted the mix by what ... 40%?

ASSUMING that the oil that you have added is plain-vanilla 80W90 Hypoid oil (I went looking for specs on "Stay Lube" and came up empty) that does not ALREADY contain the additive (Many do ... including Pennzoil Gear Plus)...
Pennzoil Spec Sheet I would suggest erring on the side of caution, and add another 1/2 bottle of friction modifier.

From what I understand, too much additive won't hurt anything ... but not enough will cause clutch chatter. I work as a Parts Manager at a Ford dealership. Ford recommends pre-soaking new diff clutches in 100% friction modifier, and then adding another bottle with the fluid. Following this logic is what I base my "too much is better than too little" opinion on.

It might not hurt to consult with an expert (eg specialized Driveline shop) to ask thier opinion as well.

HTH,
Don
Old 05-14-2006, 10:51 AM
Searching for horsepower

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
Typical capacity for most passenger / light truck is approximately 3 Litres (or US quarts).

If you have added the additive to 5 Qts, then you have effectively diluted the mix by what ... 40%?

ASSUMING that the oil that you have added is plain-vanilla 80W90 Hypoid oil (I went looking for specs on "Stay Lube" and came up empty) that does not ALREADY contain the additive (Many do ... including Pennzoil Gear Plus)...
Pennzoil Spec Sheet I would suggest erring on the side of caution, and add another 1/2 bottle of friction modifier.

From what I understand, too much additive won't hurt anything ... but not enough will cause clutch chatter. I work as a Parts Manager at a Ford dealership. Ford recommends pre-soaking new diff clutches in 100% friction modifier, and then adding another bottle with the fluid. Following this logic is what I base my "too much is better than too little" opinion on.

It might not hurt to consult with an expert (eg specialized Driveline shop) to ask thier opinion as well.

HTH,
Don
Don
like the Pennzoil "Gear Plus 80w90 GL-5....The Sta-Lube 80w90 GL-5 I used, says it is a limited-slip gear oil.
But they do go on to say "some manufacturers require a additional additive for their diffs"
What do you think ? Do I even need to add more additive?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.