Hot Rod Forum banner

posi suggestions

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  big gear head 
#1 ·
ok so Ive asked for help on this subject before but didnt get what I was looking for,I have a 1983 monte carlo.I just had a brand bew motor built &now I need to get a posi.I need something that wont cost alot.Id like to find another g body with a stock posi.Right now I have a stock non posi rear end.What my question is can I make my stock rear end into a posi somehow?If so how?&what all rear ends can I put in there?Im only 16 allmost 17 so Im still fairly new to this so I need to keep it as simple as possible thanx guys!

#7 · (Edited)
The 1930 will work. Don't use red Locktite if you ever want to get thee bolt back out again. I use blue.

I've had one of these in my S10 for about 12 years and it works great. It pops and jerks some, but not too bad. The Lock Right can be installed in your driveway with common tools. If you have been doing a lot of one wheel burnouts then the Lock Right might not work in your case. One wheel burnouts will cause excess wear inside the differential case, which will cause too much clearance between the drivers and couplers in the locker. This will not allow the locker to lock up.

This is where the case will wear from doing one wheel burnouts. It's also very hard on the cross shaft.

If you want something smoother then the Eaton Posi is better. Here is how to install the Eaton. http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19773&highlight=install+posi

The original Monte Carlo posi rear end is going to have a Governor Lock or Auburn in it. I don't recommend either one of those. There was not any good differentilas offered by GM in the 7.5 10 bolt.

#9 ·
Actually one can still get it back apart with red lock tight on it with one of the small propane torches one would use to sweat copper. and im not talking red hot either less than 30 seconds heat right where the treads are and it will come right out. look in any bearing kit you buy for a rear end that comes with the nut n see what color lock tight it gives you.

#10 ·
I know what you are talking about. I've used several hundred of these kits, but I only use the red locktite onthe ring gear bolts and pinion nut. I've seen too many of the retainer bolts that were broke off and hard enough to get out without the locktite on them. I've also seen many of the small 5/16 bolt heads rounded off by someone who couldn't get it out with a 12 point wrench without the red locktite. I keep the blue locktite and use it on the retainer bolt. Also, I use a 6 point wrench.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.