Posi-trac Experts (If it ain't broke, should I fix it?) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2003, 07:20 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Posi-trac Experts (If it ain't broke, should I fix it?)

I am restoring a 1962 327/340 Corvette. It has a T-10 4spd and a 4:11 rear end posi unit. The car has just under 100k miles. Here is what I know about the car. I have owned it for about 15 years and have researched ownership history back to the original owner. It was original except for maintenance items replaced and hasn't seen extreme use. The posi unit was working fine, no chatter, slipage or unusual noises. Here's my question(s).

Should I leave the mechanics of the unit alone and just cosmetically restore the housing by painting? The service manual says these units don't require any changing of the fluid for the life of the car and there is no drain plug. I believe the original fluid contains a whale oil additive and it is no longer available. I have been told that nothing works as well as this original fluid to lube these units, so if it ain't broke don't fix it. What do you pros think?

Also, there is a pinhole leak in the top of the housing. I didn't notice until the unit was out of the vehicle and paint was stripped. The only reason I could tell there was a leak was a small stain on the bare metal of the housing after it sat upside down a few days. I never noticed any leakage while it was in use. What might be the best way to fix this tiny leak without using heat?

I was thinking JB Weld which I was going to use as a filler to fill some minor pitting in the housing before painting. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.

[ May 20, 2003: Message edited by: Axelrod ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2003, 05:32 PM

Last photo:

JB weld will work fine for filler cosmetics, as for the posi, if its working leave it, there are modern posi additives but I agree that the whale oil stuff was the best.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:28 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Could the hole in the top be a vent?
Old 05-21-2003, 06:23 PM

I have the vent plugged so no dirt gets in while it's stripped and cleaned. The leak is a tiny pinhole that I only noticed after stripping and after the unit sat upside down. If fact, the hole itself is not visable to the naked eye but the seepage on the fresh bare metal was noticable. I don't want to braze it or use any heat as long as it's not tore down. That's why I thought JB Weld might work. I have never tried it but I have heard it's pretty tough stuff.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.