Hot Rod Forum banner

Is this possible for a 17 year old? (please, be honest and realistic)

3K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  DesertPanel 
#1 ·
I want to do a total rebuild on a 350 SBC. I'm 17 and next year I go to college. I have a 1978 Corvette, but this engine won't go in the Vette (she is all original #s matching).

I'll get a '58 Vette or '57 Chevy to put the rebuild 350 in, not the '78.

I'm smart, and learn very quickly. I can get my hands on books (library, buy them used for cheap) and get started quickly. I love engines, performance, horsepower, and torque.

But...is it logical for me to do a total rebuild on a 350 right now? I have decent knowledge of the engine, I'm not worried about the learning part, but the financial and storage parts. I can store it, but what about $$$?

Please be honest, I can take it. :D

78SilverShark

#2 ·
Let me address this to all the youth on this forum. Any rebuild is going to cost some money and it always cost more money than what we thought!

Best of all, anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

My advice......BUILD YOUR DREAM and take your time...in the mean while drive an inexpensive car while your dream is being made!

#3 ·
Well, I do have the '78 Corvette. But I just really want to build a high performance 350 SBC.

What kind of dollars are you thinking for a 400+ HP and TQ 350?

I can always do it along a long span of time, not being too big of a financial burden at a given point.

#4 ·
take an estimate, and multiply it by 1.5

you want a strong 400 horse/torque motor? allocate like this: parts will run at least 3 grand if you do your homework for a turn-key; tools are another story. add up all the loose ends and you could be looking at near 5 grand.

maybe you should look into a crate motor? for the cost of all the one-time tools and equipment it will probably just be easier and much less of a headache to buy it finished.

#5 ·
No. I don't need an engine. But I do want to do a rebuild on one. And, if financial needs allow, I wouldn't mind buying the tools, because it wouldn't be just a one-time thing.

#6 ·
Hey bud, I feel your pain! I'm 19 years old right now, and am a sophomore in college pursuing a double major in Biology & Biotechnology, which will hopefully get me into Veterinarian School. However, in my life that prior sentence is mundane compared to the amount of interest and effort I have and put forth into my car. It's almost sad. In fact, the man that I race with was needing some help, so I stopped by on friday, and he laughed saying that "there's 1500 hot girls up at the football game and you'd rather help an old man work on his drag car--you're definitely addicted!" I'm not dumb enough to neglect my school work for my hobby/habit, but the crossroad I run into is this: I can save what money I make from my jobs and put it toward school, or take out MORE student loans and end up paying them back for years upon end with interest and build on a car that I know isn't going anywhere. I ended up coming to a compromise and spend enough to have fun, knowing that in later years I'll have money. I also had to realize that I don't know one other 19 year old kid that has his OWN (as in fully funded by himself) 8 second pro-mod car and still has the money to send himself through college.

It's great to hear that you're going to college, and I think that the financial situation is where most kids our age arrive at a conflict. That's where schmoozin with other racers/rodders is great. I've learned 10 times as much from them than I have from my own experience, even if a little is BS. If you can find one that is generous enough to even let you watch when he does some of his work and tuning it's almost as fun as actually doing it.

Whatever you decide, remember there's always the future and a well paying, car-building-funding job ahead of you.

#7 ·
are you going to rebuild one that previously ran, or one from the yard?

PAW sells some great deluxe master engine kits that replace everything, with a wide assortment of pistons, cams, and upgrades. give them a ring at 818-678-3000. they open at 6am PST. let them know what you have, what you want, and they'll tell you what you need.

#8 ·
Thanks a lot, I see what you mean, adryan16. My parents are paying for me to get through school. That isn't a burden on me, but I also don't have a job. During the school year, they don't want me to have to worry about a job and that would take away from my school work, they say. So I don't have an income right now, but I do have some dollars saved up. :)

My plan was to get a bare block from the yard, and just rebuild it from there.

78SilverShark

#9 ·
To be honest (that's what you're looking for, right?) you can do anything you want if you're willing to sacrifice a little, and dedicate yourself to it.

If you have a place to keep the engine, and tools, and parts, and supplies, etc..., I'd say to go for it. Get an engine stand, a workbench, engine manuals, LOTS of coffee, and go for it.

Every hotrodder here who has built up an engine has had a first time. And 17 isn't all that young, comparitively speaking. I tore down my first engine, with a buddy, when I was 16. I worked my butt off for parts/tool money, and it took about a year to do, but I/we did it. My father was so impressed with my dedication, not to mention the improvement in my Math grades, that he slipped me a few extra bucks on the side here and there, or bought a tool he really didn't need, then let me borrow it. (C'mon Pop, how many piston ring compressors do you use in a lifetime?):cool:

If money is a major concern, however, I'd wait a while. The old saying, "Speed costs money, son... How fast do you want to go?" is dead honest. Yes, you can do things a little at a time, but sometimes a project done that way takes on a life of it's own. It becomes akin to the Chinese water torture - it just never seems to end.

You have to decide how bad you want to do it. You have to decide if you have the time, money, and resources needed to complete the project. (The $5000 estimate given earlier is a good estimate, depending on what you're building.) You have to decide if "now" is the best time to start on it. Garages and back yards are full of projects started, but never completed. You have to decide if you have the dedication required to take on a project of this scope while you're still doing everything else in life that you're doing. I don't think your age has anything to do with it. Maturity damned sure does.

Waiting isn't a bad thing either. I'm 42 and am just beginning my first frame-off rebuild of a '54 GMC Panel Van. The time is right for me. You have to decide if the time is right for you.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :thumbup:

#10 ·
I'm just afraid that if I start it and then run into a total financial block, then it might be a tragedy. I think with time, $5k could possibly be plausible for me to obtain, but not in one shot. I could always do the build-up among a number of years. I'm in no rush... :)

78SilverShark

#11 · (Edited)
^ i agree with desertpanel.

i'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to warn you of potential problems.

i had no experience myself when starting with muscle cars, i had to learn everything on my own and with a steep learning curve. when there's a will, there's a way.

however, i just gotta warn you again: from my experience, things always turn out to be more expensive than i originally thought whenever starting a project; hence, always make a good estimate and multiply by 1.5

#12 ·
heck I'm 15 and I'm building a '70 Chevelle drag car. I have been building engines since I was really young, I started out with small engines (lawn mowers, dirtbikes... I raced 80cc SR motocross when I was 10 and could do a top-end in less than 10 minutes with no help. I gradually moved up to bigger and better things like car engines. I don't have a lot of money at all and that's my block right now too but I'm not really in a rush to get things done because I want it to be nice when I'm done and not look like a 15 year old did it!! Can't wait till I'm 16 and can drive and hopefully get a job! Good luck

#14 ·
Buying a crate engine may not cost to much more in the end that building it your self but you don't get the pride of doing it your self. I believe you will be fine but get some good books there are many on small block chevs and read them over a bunch of times and then follow the steps as you do it. Rebuilding engines isn't that hard but its the attention to detail that makes or breaks it. When I first started working on cars that was the hardest thing for me was having the patients and not rushing things. Make sure you have a good place to work and a nice engine stand and go slow methodical and you will be just fine besides of you run into any problem the guys are always here to ask.

#15 ·
I've made up my mind. Drum roll please... :eek:

I'm going to rebuild a 350 SBC as initially planned. I'm sure I'll be able to do it, and it'll be fun and a learning experience. Thanks for the help!!

BTW, would it be okay if the engine could stay outside under a tarp? Or would it be necessary that it is in the garage?

Thanks again, all! :D

78SilverShark

#16 ·
in this jersey weather of ours, keep it inside a garage where it doesn't get too cold. you want it to be as clean as possible; jeg's sells engine bags for ten bucks. they're like giant zip-loc bags that help keep the elements out and the oil in.

it's a good idea to spray stuff with wd-40, except areas that use assembly lube. wd-40 would go on the outside surface of the block, heads, etc. to keep rust from forming.

#17 ·
Okay, I'll have to look into this further. Thanks a lot! :D I'm pretty familiar with WD-40. I do use it a lot, it is a godsend. :)

BTW, I'm from Middlesex County. What part of Jersey are you from?

78SilverShark

#18 ·
im also 15, i have a '65 chevy with a 383 stroker and it is fun to drive.but not in town he he he.i live in MNT. View AR (hillbilly town) but u can pick up a 383 kit from summit for around $1200.00 an thats comes with everything. or u can just buy a crate 383 and it will have a bout 340 hp stock. well i guess just do what ever u want.

#19 ·
Or, you can do what I did when I was 20: Build an aluminum rod roller cam big block 468ci blower moter and go $10,000 in debt!

Really, I wouldn't recommend that. But it was/is a really nice engine. :) I'm 35 now and I still have it. What am I saying? Of course I'd do it all over again if given the chance. Only I'd chunk the carburators and go with fuel injection to begin with!

Storage: If you have to store it for a long time (more than 6 months), use more than WD-40. Use grease on all machined surfaces. Just a thin smearing will do. And bag it. It will out live you if kept like that. If you don't have a garage, keep it in your bedroom. You would not be the first to do so.

Money: Spend it on cylinder heads. Don't even fool with stock "300 horse" heads. Dart sportsmans at least. Don't worry about superlight pistons, or steel rods, etc... Silvo-lite pistons and a basically stock bottom end is all that is required for your 400 HP project. Have your rods checked and get some good rod bolts. Get the rotating assembly ballanced as well. To me, this is money well spent. But the best dollars spent will be on a good "How To build" book. A complete understanding of what your are contemplating will limit costly mistakes.

Tools: Assuming a machine shop is going to do the machine work, the only special tools you will need are a torque wrench and a ring compressor. Borrow them if you can. The rest is just sockets and wrenches.

My parents didn't want me to work in college either. I don't know if this was a good idea or not. Never the less, since you are not working and after your studies are done, you might want to spend some time at your local machine shop asking questions and watching if they'll let you. The less mysterious engine building seems, the better.

#20 ·
very sound advice, smurph.... :thumbup:

the other thing i would do is subscribe so some chevy mags... they usually have great engine buildups that ran them for a couple grand or so and made great power, not to mention being chock full of engine building tips!

#21 ·
78 SILVERSHARK:

don't worry, i'm also 17. ive been into muscle cars since i was real little, and it was my dream to get one. i saved up all of my money i ever had to one day get one. actually, the day after i received my liscense, i went searching for one, and found my dream, 71 gtx. i have had lack of funds too, but all that i did is go slow. every once in a while i would purchase something. i have a job, but about 70% of my money goes away to my future, and the rest i spend on my car, not wanting to be in debt or anything.

as you can see from most of my posts, i am a novice, and i appreciate the help that many of these experienced people give me. just take your time like i have, it will come together. i am still having problems. i still want to do things to my car that i am not 100% sure what to do, and that is what time and research is for. in the time for the research and learning, just save up.

#22 ·
buildin

i was only 18 for three months before i built my first engine... handled it all myself with the machine shop(s) and lotsa runs to summit ( i live 40 mins away:)).. take your time and do it right, being young and impatient, we tend to cut corners... you do this on a motor build and itll newver work out... dont rush it, itll be done b4 you know it. choose your machine shop wisely ,cause theyre the etermining factor of how good your motor will be... can your build it??? hell yea!!!! once you get all the shop work done, its not too tough to put it together at all. My 4wd remote control car was harder and more time consuming to put together. mine holds great oil pressure, runs strong,and with over 3k miles on it now, ive seen no signs of any problems.... sometimes you just have to go for it... but remember one thing... how fast you want to go is directly related to how fat your wallet is, so make sure the money is there before you even tear the engine apart...

#23 ·
WOW!. Well, one things that's awesome is to see all the young people post, and help me realize that hotrodding in my generation isn't dead! (It just seems like it in my po-dunk town!) I thought smurph's was the best! Like I said I have enough to worry about with school, and such monetarily, but as many others have said, I guess it comes down to what YOU want to do. Obviously you've got a vision, and a will as well. And we all know that where there's a will....

#26 ·
good luck on your project. the first things you are going to need tool wise are as follows 1. decent socket set 3/8 and 1/2 inch drive (i figure you have this already) 2. combination wrench set 2 sets is better 3.dial caliper (i don't know how i did without one of these for so long) 4. set of feeler gages 5. engine stand 6. lots of parts cleaner this should be enough to get you started. if you are able to find bare blocks or short blocks a couple things you should know 1. if a pistons is oversized it will usually say so on the top, you can also measure with dial indicator. 2. oversize bearings say so on the back but you have to take it apart to read, if you can memorize as many clearance tolerances as possible particularly main clearance and check as much as possible before you buy the block. 3. the ridge at the top of the cylinder bore is a good indicator of engine care and wear. oh by the way if you have a harbour freight near by they have best price i know of on calipers and have engine stands reasonable as well. hth and keep us posted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.