possible bad toque converter? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2003, 02:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

possible bad toque converter?

Ok.. I istalled my first transmission on monday. It is the same style as my old one. 200-R4 It took me a long time to install it. I got the tranny and torque converter from the junk yard for $200. Everything looked to be all right when I picked it up. Nothing was loose or broken, no metal peices in the tranny. The torque converter inards seem to move freely.
Now to my problem. When I romp on the throttle, she seems to not want to give it all she has. It takes off, but feels like the engine is bogging down or missing. Then out of no where she runs smoothly, and then bogs again. I checked the timing and the plugs, etc. nithing seems amiss with the engine. She idles fine too. Just when I romp on the throttle, it is not giving like she used to.
I jacked the rearend up and ran it full throttle, she did not bog down once or feel strange at all. A couple of times when I put it in drive it clunked. Also on the street, in first it whines a little bit sometimes with foot off throttle.
I have rechecked the torque converter bolts and they are tight. There is a tiny leak coming from the torque converter.
Do I need to get a new torque converter? or just take tranny back out and reseat the torque converter? Or should I just say the hell with it and run it till it dies and get a new tranny and torque converter?
I would like to fix this problem myself and not take it to the garage, monetary reasons. Any suggestions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2003, 05:42 PM

Do a stall speed test if it comes it low you have a bad stator one-way clutch
Old 10-09-2003, 05:48 PM

Last photo:

I just looked up how to do a stll speed test. I can not do one, for I do not have a tach in my car yet. I also do not have a speedometer either.
Things have came up and i can not get either for at least 6 months.
I guess I could do it and judge by the engine sound right?
Old 10-09-2003, 07:03 PM

Last photo:

I went out a little bit ago and tried a stall speed test. As I said before I do not have a tach. I spun my tires. Or should I say tire, my car was supposed to have posi traction, but either it broke and hence the whine in first gear, or it never has it.
I am leaning towards a malfunction in my distributor or spark wires or my TV cable. I am not sure. The car runs good at low speeds. Only once I romp on the throtle does it want to bog down. Tommorrow I am going to run some carb cleaner thru it and install a new fuel filter. Not that it will do anything, but just to make sure.
I did spill some tranny fluid on the hei distibutor when refilling the tranny after install. Maybe I burnt something out, I am not sure. It does not make any sense that it runs fine at low rpm in OD. I did try to manual shift and sometimes it was fine, others it still bogged. I am going to install a new TV cable depending on the price of it.

Eventually I am going to redo this whole car, but for the mean time I just need it to run right for atleast a month. A cheap fix til I get my other car back. (long story) Ohh, by the way I never mentioned that this is a 85 Monte Carlo SS with a 350 motor. My plans are to restore the underneath body and put in a aluminum motor that will be built be Atlanta Engine Co.

If anyone has any insight into my problem, please feel free to voice any opionons. Thanks
Old 10-10-2003, 01:13 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like your torque converter is staying "locked" up instead of unlocking when you "romp" on it. like it is supposed to. The torque converter lockup feature is there to give better fuel economy when cruising down the highway, reducing the amount of slippage in the torque converter.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:39 PM

Last photo:

I guess that would mean I need a new converter, huh?

I don't even have the lock up switch connected.
It seems to be getting a little better, but still is not right by a long shot. Now I hear a slight knock coming from the converter area when in gear with the foot on the brake. also I feel a knock in the steering whell when driving. I really hate to ull that tranny back and check it. It was a real big pain in the a** just get it on.
You know working on sand is not very easy. Plus from my back no less.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:54 PM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

You might want to pull the inspection cover and make sure the torque converter bolts are tight..
Old 10-11-2003, 08:51 AM

Last photo:

I just pulled out the torque converter bolts.
I dont know if this is normal, but when I pulled my bolts out, I can push my torque converter back towards the tranny some, leaving a 1/4" to a 1/2" gap from the flywheel to the torque converter bolt holes. Is this normal? I could of swore the one I took off was tight against with hardly any give backwards.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:42 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

With the convertor bolts out, you should be able to move the convertor toward the trans a little. I would doubt that you could move it 1/2". I don't think 1/4" would be excessive.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:53 PM

Last photo:

Maybe you are right! I did not have a measureing tape on hand.
Any how, it seems to be doing alright now. It still feels a little off, but maybe that is just because it is a used tranny.
I dont have the converter lock-up working. I tried to hook the wires up to a toggle swirch, but non of the wires seem to do anything. I have tried all three, even together. Still nothing.
I am convinced that the junk yard gave me a non locking converter. But isn't the lock-up function have to do with the tranny, not the converter?

Not sure about it, but as long as it is running fine, I am happy.
I do appreciate the help. Thank you!

You only learn once, then it is common knowledge!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.