Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Possible electrical problem. Need help bad.
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 05:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric32 View Post
Hello guys well I am going to hook up my vacuum gauge and check for leaks but idle is fine and shows no signs of one but I still will check. As far as taking my truck. To a shop there is one that is good and that was about two years ago and I ended up paying two hundred dollars plus just for them to tell me it might need a new coil. Heck the amout of money I paid them I could of had to new distributors for that cost. Only funds thrown at this so far is 30 bucks for a set of wires cause everything else I had extra. I will check with vacuum gauge then do a compression test as last resort. This problem has persisted to keep happenning and the very last thing I will do is bring it to a shop and once again have a scope put on it. Thanks guys. As far as rotor phasing I. Have had two different caps on and still have the issue and I don't know how to check that but will do a google search.
You say you went to a shop that was good and they charged over $200 just to scope an engine. Sounds like a bunch of rip-off artists to me. It's a shame you can't find a good shop, a scope will show exactly which cylinder or cylinders are dropping out and whether or not they are the same or random.
A scope and someone who can read it turns ignition problems into a ten minute job instead of hours of guesswork.
Sadly, tune up shops seem to be dying out due to newer cars not needing the attention our old hot rods do. a good shop with good equipment can find components degrading long before they give problems.