Post car, non Post car - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2012, 08:23 PM
billonwheels's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: On the Road
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 62
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post car, non Post car

Why were post cars made? Cant find anything on the net about it.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2012, 08:31 PM
techinspector1's Avatar
Senior Curmudgeon
 
Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hemet, California, USA
Age: 72
Posts: 12,604
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanks: 701
Thanked 892 Times in 758 Posts
There have been post cars since there have been cars. Your question might have been better asked.....Why were hardtop cars made....This from Wikipedia might help fill in the blanks for you.....


"There were a variety of hardtop-like body styles dating back to at least the 1920s. Chrysler Corporation built seven pillarless Town and Country hardtop coupes as concept vehicles in 1946, and even included the body style in its advertising that year.[2] Mass-production of hardtops began with General Motors, which launched two-door, pillarless hardtops in 1949 as the Buick Roadmaster Riviera, Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, and Cadillac Coupe de Ville. They were purportedly inspired by the wife of a Buick executive who always drove convertibles, but never lowered the top. The hardtop became extremely popular in the 1950s, and by 1956 every major U.S. automaker offered hardtop coupés and four-door sedans in a particular model lineup. In 1955, Buick and Oldsmobile introduced the first four-door hardtop sedans. In 1956, the first four-door hardtop station wagon was introduced by Rambler.[3] In 1957, Mercury offered both two- and four-door hardtop wagons, the only marque to ever to do so. The type did not catch on, though, as most buyers considered wagons too boxy to benefit from the sporty look (or expensive enough to begin with). All disappeared from the market after 1964. The Facel Vega Excellence is a notable French example of a four-door hardtop from this period, noted for the huge opening with both doors on one side open and for sagging if all the doors were left open. The doors were designed for locking to the floor and not each other."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2012, 08:41 PM
billonwheels's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: On the Road
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 62
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, so why would there be post say...Olds 442s and non post 442s the same year? both are hard tops, I cant see any diffrence in the bodies....looks like Chevy did the same with Chevelles. Styling? Seems like everyone's looking for "non post" cars.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2012, 09:12 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,017
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 720
Thanked 1,085 Times in 968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billonwheels View Post
Ok, so why would there be post say...Olds 442s and non post 442s the same year? both are hard tops, I cant see any diffrence in the bodies....looks like Chevy did the same with Chevelles. Styling? Seems like everyone's looking for "non post" cars.....
No they are not both hardtops. THAT Is the difference. The hardtop has nothing between the quarter window opening and the door window opening when the glass is rolled down, just like a convertible.

The post, it has a post around the top of the door, and on the quarter.

Brian

Post sedan



Hardtop.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2012, 09:12 PM
WDCreech's Avatar
Grumpy Old Goat Herder
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Age: 70
Posts: 1,309
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3
Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
As produced from the factory, the 2 door post car was lighter than the 2 door hardtop.

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2012, 09:15 PM
455olds's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Baker City,OR
Posts: 402
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 7
Thanked 51 Times in 49 Posts
Post cars are more rigid and cheaper to build. A lot of racers preferred the post cars for these reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2012, 09:21 PM
billonwheels's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: On the Road
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 62
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok. I see now. My buddy was saying the post cars are not as desirable than the 2 door non post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 AM
techinspector1's Avatar
Senior Curmudgeon
 
Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hemet, California, USA
Age: 72
Posts: 12,604
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanks: 701
Thanked 892 Times in 758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 455olds View Post
Post cars are more rigid and cheaper to build. A lot of racers preferred the post cars for these reasons.
And lighter, so they can be made to go quicker with less money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
billonwheels (10-31-2012)
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2012, 04:39 AM
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,519
Wiki Edits: 1

Thanks: 6
Thanked 146 Times in 133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billonwheels View Post
Ok. I see now. My buddy was saying the post cars are not as desirable than the 2 door non post.
The fundamental difference is in the side window mechanisms. The hardtop cars require a more complicated mechanism, which was both heavier and more expensive. The actual shipping weight differences between post and hardtop cars was not as great as you might think, but the post cars are stiffer.

Post cars were usually low content loss leaders and thus less expensive when new (another reason why racers liked them). Hardtops were sportier and thus more desirable, which is why more were built. Rarity does not equal desirability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2012, 09:20 AM
novafreek6872's Avatar
Nova Guru
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Central Va.
Age: 46
Posts: 395
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 76
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post

Post cars were usually low content loss leaders and thus less expensive when new (another reason why racers liked them). Hardtops were sportier and thus more desirable, which is why more were built. Rarity does not equal desirability.

I have to disagree... nowadays 2 door post "musclecars" are every bit as desirable as hardtops. Alot of people prefer the post models because they are different and the windows usually work better!!

Make mine a L79 4 speed please...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,519
Wiki Edits: 1

Thanks: 6
Thanked 146 Times in 133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by novafreek6872 View Post
I have to disagree...
With what part? Hardtops outsold post 2dr cars by about 10:1 in the musclecar days, despite the higher price, so you can't deny which body style was more popular. The change today is due to the fact that 2dr hardtop musclecars are in short supply at reasonable prices, thus the push for the (then) less desirable post cars.

As for rarity equaling desirability or value, I simply point out that the Pontiac Aztek is rare. 'Nuff said.

And finally, the whole lightweight/stiffness argument is not a strong as some people believe. It might be true with unibody cars, but with full frame cars like the GM A-body cars, the rubber mounts between body and frame pretty much negate any stiffness benefit from the post body style, and frankly if you're racing the car, a full triangulated roll bar or cage eliminates even these minor differences. The weight differences FOR SIMILARLY OPTIONED CARS are under 100 lbs out of 3500 lbs or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2012, 11:59 AM
novafreek6872's Avatar
Nova Guru
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Central Va.
Age: 46
Posts: 395
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 76
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
With what part? Hardtops outsold post 2dr cars by about 10:1 in the musclecar days, despite the higher price, so you can't deny which body style was more popular. The change today is due to the fact that 2dr hardtop musclecars are in short supply at reasonable prices, thus the push for the (then) less desirable post cars.

As for rarity equaling desirability or value, I simply point out that the Pontiac Aztek is rare. 'Nuff said.

And finally, the whole lightweight/stiffness argument is not a strong as some people believe. It might be true with unibody cars, but with full frame cars like the GM A-body cars, the rubber mounts between body and frame pretty much negate any stiffness benefit from the post body style, and frankly if you're racing the car, a full triangulated roll bar or cage eliminates even these minor differences. The weight differences FOR SIMILARLY OPTIONED CARS are under 100 lbs out of 3500 lbs or so.
Ah, OK, you were really talkin bout "back in the day"... GOTCHA. I misread your post initially. Its all good.

I'll still take that little L79 POST


Andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 2,101
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 383
Thanked 207 Times in 186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billonwheels View Post
Ok, so why would there be post say...Olds 442s and non post 442s the same year? both are hard tops, I cant see any diffrence in the bodies....looks like Chevy did the same with Chevelles. Styling? Seems like everyone's looking for "non post" cars.....

There is a difference between "hard top" and "hardtop"

"Hard top" would be anything thats not a convertable, targa top etc "it has a hard top" for example

"Hardtop" is a design feature which probably should have been "B-pillar-less hard top sedan", but that is clunky to say. Back in the 50s and 60s a 4 door post car was absolutely NOT cool under all but the most extreme circumstances, a 4 dr hardtop was slightly more acceptable, a 2dr post was reasonably cool and a 2dr hardtop was the ultimate in cool.

My dads 55 chevy was a 210 DelRay 2dr post. They wanted like $650 for a 2dr hardtop and that was simply too much money back in 1968
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2012, 01:11 PM
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,519
Wiki Edits: 1

Thanks: 6
Thanked 146 Times in 133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
There is a difference between "hard top" and "hardtop"

"Hard top" would be anything thats not a convertable, targa top etc "it has a hard top" for example

"Hardtop" is a design feature which probably should have been "B-pillar-less hard top sedan", but that is clunky to say. Back in the 50s and 60s a 4 door post car was absolutely NOT cool under all but the most extreme circumstances, a 4 dr hardtop was slightly more acceptable, a 2dr post was reasonably cool and a 2dr hardtop was the ultimate in cool.
While you are technically correct, it's pretty obvious from the context that the O.P. was referring to hardtop vs. post car. And since the O.P. brought up the Olds 442, in Oldsspeak the two body styles were Holiday Coupe (hardtop) and Sport Coupe (post car).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Four post car lift HD Don Garage - Tools 22 07-24-2008 10:36 PM
Where to post a car for sale? Chevy1963 Hotrodders' Lounge 7 09-01-2005 06:32 PM
My First Car & First Post JuneCleaver Introduce Yourself 11 08-31-2005 12:32 AM
pre 87 car with post 87 engine swap? 84Z Engine 6 05-12-2004 10:13 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.