Post counts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2003, 03:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Post counts

I haven't been on the board as long as some of you, so maybe I'm just ignorant to the importance some people put on post counts. I have been here longer than some members and yet they have ten times the amount of posts. Some members are so obsessed with it that it gets them in trouble. Whenever I read thru the board, I look at the member names and read the ones that have shown themselves to be very knowledgeable, knowing I will probably learn something new. I don't pay any attention to the post count. Some members have high post counts but never have anything to contribute to the knowledge of the board. They are usually pretty funny, but that is it.

If I just don't get it, please clarify it for me.

If I have offended anyone, I apologize. That was not the intent of this post.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2003, 03:43 PM
banned

i'm not offended don't worry
Old 03-11-2003, 07:30 PM
At a loss for words

The person with the most posts by next Christmas wins $500000000000000000000000000!!!! So Neil and Dave have that going for them! :p It would be interesting if there were seperate counters for "posts" and "useful posts". I would probably have 3-5 in the "useful posts" column!
Old 03-11-2003, 08:21 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Congrats on running up your post count xtreme off-road!! (and mine too!!)
Old 03-11-2003, 08:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Your post count is the number of posts you have made on this board. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think that some people have a tendency to regard this number as some sort of method of numerically assessing a person's knowledge, when in fact, no such method exists.

It seems like other people may want a shortcut to respect and credibility, and they believe it can be achieved by inflating this number. Shortcuts to credibility and respect also don't exist, and can backfire in someone's face when they get their post count reduced by an admin.

Interestingly, as a bulletin board community, we have one of the finest social tools on the planet for determining someone's knowledge and credibility. Everything that everyone has ever said is recorded, and accesible via the search function. Imagine if "real" life were like that!

I try to do my job with the least number of posts possible. The trick is to make them extra long .
Old 03-11-2003, 08:59 PM
Missing You

Last photo:

I used to try extra hard to make lots of posts on forums, but with time I learned that people really do notice every little thing you say. And although you may only have one or two things said in the engine forum, its better to have one or two things that are right than a whole bunch that are wrong...cause people do notice.

Old 03-11-2003, 09:10 PM

Last photo:

how bout implementing a punishment for those who brag about post counts? it has seemed to work for other boards.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:12 AM
banned

yeah jon I could use about a 1500 reduction in posts... then we are CLOSER but not quite at the number of valuable posts I have
Old 03-12-2003, 02:37 AM
Pontiac Knowledge Base Editor

Last photo:

XOR, BBB, Jon, I'm with you.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:17 AM
At a loss for words

Every thing that people are saying is true. However, I come here for tech information as well as a good time. Some people abuse the "good time" though. I've seen many instances where the board was used when a PM or an e-mail would have been more appropriate. I'm just as guilty as anybody though. Still, I've been here for quite some time. I think I have a pretty good handle on who can answer a question usefully!
Old 03-12-2003, 12:36 PM

I've been here for a year. You see my count.

Like BBB said, I used to post a lot too, but it really gets old after a while. And when you post on everything, even if you are right, people still think you're a know-it-all.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:04 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

extreme, you got it right and i bet yer notta rocket scientist either. i'm sure it's painfully obvious to everybody else, too.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:06 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

I do it just to be ornery. I'm a fairly quiet person in real life so I'm amazed at how many post I have. I get a kick out of this site. I come here to relax and to learn and once in a very great while I can even offer some advice. If you want to build a motor home or travel trailer I can help you a lot. As for Cars, I'm learning a lot and having a darn good time at it.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:48 PM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:

I really get a bang out of tryin to help some new person solve there car problems. Not that i am a pro. I got a bunch of learning the hard way behind me. I think it is cool when you see the light bulb come on for someone!!!! Like how do i install my dist questions? How do i find #1?When they find out the firing order for Chev, is on the intake manifold. When they realize that hea , i can do this!!! Now that`s cool!
So where`s that kid with the stuck balancer? I also really injoy the chance to learn new stuff. Yes it`s cool when my light bulb comes on too!!!!
My 2 pennys!!!
Old 03-13-2003, 06:21 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

You mean I been doing all this braggin for nothing. I always thought it was an internet contest to see who gets the most post counts. You know..."he who has the most points wins" or something like that. j/k!!! I really don't care one way or another. I just like to brag when I hit every hundred for the heck of it. You know...kinda like celebrating when the odometer rolls over. When I hit 100,000 on the Toyota I missed it by a few miles so I had to back in reverse until I got to 99,999.9 so I could watch it roll over first hand. Then I had to do it again after I got home so I could show the wife. After that we had a brewskie together to celebrate the rolling over. Kinda like a small party. I did not so don't take it seriously. I only drove it backwards once to watch it. j/k. Man, you guys are gullible. BTW this dribble gives me another point doesn't it. I used to belong to a BB about gardening. A few of the people started koking around on the site about something stupid. Nothing vulgar or anything like that but just something ridiculous. Well the webmaster was the humorless type so he kinda got upset for the bunch of people joking around. Quite a few of them went to another website. This was last Spring. I visited the site a few times but not too often. This one woman on the site was rather winded. Or should I say RATHER WINDED!!!!! I visited this particular site last month and in a year she has managed to rack up a WHOPPING 18,000 postings. Eighteen thousand in a years time. That woman has to be on the internet 24/7!! When she started out she would hardly type anything at all because she was afraid the computer would bite her or something. A few people taught her to post a few pics, etc. 18,000!!!! That is the most I have ever seen anyone post. Her fingers must never shut up. I know she complained a few times that her husband was getting aggravated with her for being on the computer all quite a bit. 18,000 post!!! I bet he just went out and got himself a girlfriend for companionship. I don't even know how she had time to cook the man a meal. If she talked as much as she typed you would have to have your ears permanently disabled. That woman would have to have callouses on her fingertips. 18,000 in a year. What is the most postings you have ever seen on a site? I think I will go on a search. The only other ones I've seen that high is on another car site and 2 of the guys hit 10,000 and that has been over a period of a few years. If you find any postings that high, lets hear about it.

Kevin

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.