Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Post triggered a memory
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 07:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post triggered a memory

Reading a post about starting up a rebuilt 409, I saw the letters WCFB - reminded me of one of my earliest hot rod efforts.

In high school I owned a '55 Chevy two door post with a 283 that had been swapped in my the previous owner. Sitting on that 283 was a Carter WCFB. It ran, but not great. Someone suggest I rebuild the carb... I had never even touched one before. I bought a rebuild kit and two new white towels. As I took parts off that carb, I carefully positioned them on one of the towels, in the order I removed them, hoping to keep track of all those tiny parts. Once it was as apart as I could get it, I started cleaning each part, in order, replacing with parts from the kit where applicable, then carefully moving each one to the other clean towel. Slowly, methodically, cleaning and moving.

I was somewhere around half way done when my Mother came out to the garage. She saw the towels, and assumed I had used two of her good towels - one of which now had stains on it from the un-cleaned parts. She went ballistic! She yelled at me and before I could explain or stop her, she grabbed the towels and yanked, reclaiming what she thought were her towels!

Little parts went flying all over the garage! I searched every nook and cranny, looking for all those parts. When I had collected what I thought was all of them, I borrowed a manual from a friend and started identifying each part, and where it went. It took me a week of working each night to finally get it all back together. When it was done, I installed it, hooked up the linkage and fuel line, prayed, and turned the key. It actually started and ran OK - still not good... it turned out my real problem was funky spark plug wires!

Those 4 letters brought that all back - WCFB!
The Following User Says Thank You to sedanbob For This Useful Post:
silentpoet (12-02-2012)