post up your certificates! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 11:43 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

post up your certificates!

we all talk of I-car and ASE so I'm wondering how many of us actually went out there to get certified? I currently am ASE certified at refinishing but never went back to get a master cert cause it was deemed pointless due to I-car. I was I-car platinum but I let it expire since working restoration. Should probably go back and take the few classes needed to update it...ya see, they have this new "role" program which makes you take new classes each year to stay platinum instead of the old 10 points your platinum. I personally like it the old way cause then you could take classes that you think you need. now they force you to take the classed no one took before. Tonight I'll look for my ROP certificate at auto body and estimating and my I car platinum certificate. Please post yours up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 01:10 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

fully loaded ase..
don't work in the field anymore so won't renew
Old 04-11-2013, 06:44 PM
JS-70

Last photo:

ASE Master Tech for 35 years, I have the plaque to prove it. Sometimes I hate this work but Im up for renewal this year, I havent decided if Im taking tests or not.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Do they have to be current? LOL, I have piles of them that aren't. ASE, ICAR, AWS I have them all, expired.

Funny how so many people will say they mean nothing, "Book learning don't mean you can do it". LOL Most anyone who says they aren't a big deal are the guys who don't have any. I found that they aren't that easy to get and I respect them and the guys who get them. Good for you Henry getting them, now tell me, you DID learn something at those classes right? Of course you did, there is nothing wrong with a little "book learning" guys, I have learned something at every class I have ever been to, they ARE valuable,I don't care how long you have been this stuff.

As a paint rep I use to send guys up to the training center on a regular basis. It was hilarious how I could tell you who would go in there and cause trouble and be a waste of time, the guys who had the most failures and what not at work with our products! I remember one guy who would call me on a regular basis with "Bad batch" stories always with problems, failures, but he knew it all. I thought I could help him going to a class, I know it opened my eyes the first time I went. Nope, I had the instructor calling me telling me what a jerkoff he was and how he was making it hard for the rest of the class to learn. Yep, that book learning isn't so bad, if you WANT to learn.

Brian
Old 04-11-2013, 07:56 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Do they have to be current? LOL, I have piles of them that aren't. ASE, ICAR, AWS I have them all, expired.

Funny how so many people will say they mean nothing, "Book learning don't mean you can do it". LOL Most anyone who says they aren't a big deal are the guys who don't have any. I found that they aren't that easy to get and I respect them and the guys who get them. Good for you Henry getting them, now tell me, you DID learn something at those classes right? Of course you did, there is nothing wrong with a little "book learning" guys, I have learned something at every class I have ever been to, they ARE valuable,I don't care how long you have been this stuff.

As a paint rep I use to send guys up to the training center on a regular basis. It was hilarious how I could tell you who would go in there and cause trouble and be a waste of time, the guys who had the most failures and what not at work with our products! I remember one guy who would call me on a regular basis with "Bad batch" stories always with problems, failures, but he knew it all. I thought I could help him going to a class, I know it opened my eyes the first time I went. Nope, I had the instructor calling me telling me what a jerkoff he was and how he was making it hard for the rest of the class to learn. Yep, that book learning isn't so bad, if you WANT to learn.

Brian
I think ASE is a lot harder than ICar, or was, but have heard they made ASE a lot easier now cause I-Car is pretty much show up and get points. I have learned some in the class no doubt and think if anything it shows that the tech cares for what he does and that means a lot. The guys that aren't into that don't know how to fix something finnicky or something that calls for special attention. They'll stick to what they know no matter how outdated the process may be. Usually those type of guys will do something wrong and I know it but you just can't say anything to them cause they're not open to it cause they think they know everything. yeah, I bash the teachers at the class and most of the material but I was still there paying for own classes and eager to learn. I think it speaks a lot about the passion a guy may have for what he does. Most guys who just view it as a job but aren't really enjoying it won't get them unless it's free or mandatory.

The funnest learning for me believe it or not was the estimating class I went to. We would compete/compare live estimates to what the true cost was and so it was always a friendly battle every night.

They do have to be current for the I car gold shop status. The requirements are that for every process you do you have to have at least one worker that's certified at each thing. One has to be non structural platinum, structural platinum, refinishing platinum, etc-etc. So, if you're close to having it point wise and you're a keeper a smart boss will figure out who has how many points so they can find the quickest way to meet the requirements. I was selected to be the refinishing platinum tech even though I wasn't the painter cause I was closest to platinum status. The painter didn't like that but I got a few free classes out of it before quitting for the job I'm at now. They'll also make you sign a contract to stay if you take the classes.

Last edited by tech69; 04-11-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Even though I am basically a hobbyist I was able to go to 3 or 4 of the PPG training courses. I do have the PPG certification certificate (somewhere) but the important thing was the wealth of knowledge it gave me as well as a certain amount of confidence.

The downer is the technology continues to change as well as the products. I can see where it would be important for a professional tech to be involved in a continuing education program unless he was blessed to have a good factory rep that kept him advised and up to date. I rarely post on Barry's SPI forum but read it pretty much every day. There is a lot of good information freely given there.

To me the refinishing technology is fascinating and wish I had the opportunity to go to some of the current seminars.

John L
Old 04-11-2013, 08:14 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

hey, you have 2 I car points and didn't even know it! Your certificate is one of the requirements to be platinum.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
hey, you have 2 I car points and didn't even know it! Your certificate is one of the requirements to be platinum.
Cool. Now wouldn't it be nice if I was smart too.

I have 3 binders in my file cabinet. One for Primers, One for Color, One for clears. I always make it a point to get the P-sheet for any new product I use. That way I don't have to rely on this old guy memory.

John L
Old 04-11-2013, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

If nothing else it "demystifies" things. The ICAR "Advanced systems" class which includes air bags and ABS brakes that sort of stuff wasn't very good in that I didn't learn much on how to FIX them but it demystified it so I wasn't so gun shy messing with them.

The ICAR cert isn't much being you are right they basically just give you them even with the tests they give now (when I first started going there wasn't even that) they are pretty much free certs. That is unless you WANT to learn, and then of course you do.

But the ICAR welding cert isn't very easy to get, I had to do some good study to walk in there for that one.

Brian
Old 04-11-2013, 11:54 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

what does the weld test consist of???

A plug? Fillet? spot weld? destructive test?

I hear it's pretty easy and you get to practice on the welder to get your settings dialed in. Geez, if you can't get a good weld in 4 hours you better pick up a hose and shammy.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:45 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
what does the weld test consist of???

A plug? Fillet? spot weld? destructive test?

I hear it's pretty easy and you get to practice on the welder to get your settings dialed in. Geez, if you can't get a good weld in 4 hours you better pick up a hose and shammy.
I had to torch weld aluminum, copper, stainless, nodular iron , cast and glass! I had to Tig, Mig, Arc And Heliarc all of the above plus magnesium in a vacuum chamber. Then I had to weld shell plate under water. then had to hot nitrogen weld plastics it took over a week of testing! it all had to be done overhead vertical up and vertical down and flat, and then had to weld 2 4 inch thick pieces of iron together after grinding the v notch and gaping and pre heating and lacing in the bead ,and then had to wait for the x rays,and stress tests to come back from the lab that was in the 60s to get my master welders card there were category's for the cards the bottom was maintenance welder the top was master welder! I was a maintenance welder before I went in for my master welders card.

Now my question what the hell kind of welding test only takes 4 hrs??

I'm retired and all my certificates are expired because I don't yearly test any more except for my journeymens cards they are good for life. and if you have a card you don't have to state or national test to work for fleets or trade unions. I was Master State Certified in auto and heavy truck and heavy machinery, diesel , motorcycle, etc and state certified in pre 1971 auto and truck I carry 4 journeyman's cards for gas,diesel,electrical,and welder All my body and paint experience is on the job training through my apprenticeship and collage auto courses. And self taught on my own customs and hot rods. And opened my own shop.

If its not a good idea to post these one of the monitors can remove them for me please! I did scratch out my last name.

Jester

I posted these because the title said "post your certificates" but now I see no one else posted theirs I was getting ready to post my others

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...1&d=1365752366
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	73111   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	73112   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	492.4 KB
ID:	73113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	73114  

Last edited by painted jester; 04-12-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:54 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
John long (04-12-2013), MARTINSR (04-12-2013), poncho62 (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Even though I am basically a hobbyist I was able to go to 3 or 4 of the PPG training courses. I do have the PPG certification certificate (somewhere) but the important thing was the wealth of knowledge it gave me as well as a certain amount of confidence.

The downer is the technology continues to change as well as the products. I can see where it would be important for a professional tech to be involved in a continuing education program unless he was blessed to have a good factory rep that kept him advised and up to date. I rarely post on Barry's SPI forum but read it pretty much every day. There is a lot of good information freely given there.

To me the refinishing technology is fascinating and wish I had the opportunity to go to some of the current seminars.

John L
So true John...when I was working on the floor as a painter I had a no BS factory rep that called it the way it was. What I liked about him was he not only talked the talk, he walked the walk. I not only learned painting tips and techniques from him, he taught me what a good factory rep was.

So often factory reps are trained to the point that it's manipulation. They go to their training center ready to learn and come out with a mind that is geared only to company that they are working for. They walk in and there Paint is the best, everybody else's paint sucks and no one has ever had a problem with their product. A good rep spends time with the painter as well as the owner of the shop. If there is a paint related problem, color match, adhesion issues whatever and the rep can't solve it on site, he contacts the company and makes them aware that there is a potential problem in the field. Many times the company will disagree and shelve the problem until it's to big to turn a blind eye to it and then solve it, but, without good factory reps the problem wouldn't get solved nearly as quickly. If anything new comes out, paint, equipment techniques a good rep let's everyone of his shops know (as well as shops that don't purchase his products). Yes John, there is a benefit to having a good factory rep.

As far as certificates...I do have ICar...expired, a Mechanics Interprovincal ticket,expired, I'm not sure but I think in Canada if I pay $100 I can have it renewed without taking any courses...could be wrong and that should be wrong if it's still true. Licensed Body ticket,expired, again would need to pay the fee to get it updated. Licensed Painter, I think that one is till good, a bunch of ICI, Dupont, Nexa and PPG Training Center, go to it and get your piece of paper nicely framed under glass thing. Like Brian said, they are valuable and do have good information at these training courses but...I wish they had tests, both written and practical at the end of the course...if you didn't pass, you didn't get your framed paper thing. That would make it more valuable and maybe weed out the idiot know it all painter's that seem to show up at every class.

Ray
Old 04-12-2013, 08:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
Now my question what the hell kind of welding test only takes 4 hrs??
One for autobody! LOL, you should see the AWS test I did for aluminum, I don't think it was ONE hour.

Hey, we only have to hold together a car with a family in it going to hwy 40 at 75 mph what's the big deal?

OMG I have I seen some bone head "repairs" on cars over the years. I had a guy at a shop this is a "pro" here boys. He welded a front apron and rail on a VW Passat wagon. I went to do the alignment on the car and found that the strut tower was in about a half an inch! Sooooo he had to pull the fenders off again and get it up on the frame rack to pull it! This was after it had been up there for a week with him putting the apron on! Ok, so it's up there and I am overseeing the job and I notice that there didn't seem to be a tight pinch weld along the top of the upper rail and apron. I pulled my pocket knife out and stuck it between the two and ran it the WHOLE LENGTH of the apron and not one single spot weld went thru holding the parts together! Let me say that again, I took my pocket knife out and stuck it between the panels and ran it the length of the panels! He was fired, and I went on to go over the entire job and there were welds all over it, plug welds, that didn't penatrate the metal at the bottom of the hole at all! He literally simply welded the hole up that he had drilled to plug the two together!

And this is why I say I don't give a crap if someone is a "Pro" or a first time home hobbiest, is the information they are giving correct? That is all that matters, is the information they are posting on a forum correct? What in the H-E double toothpick difference is it where they got the info, of if they have been doing it for years, what the hell difference does it make? Is the information correct?

Because they do it every day doesn't mean they give a crap about doing it right. Often they are like the guy at the movie theater just taking the ticket with the blank look on his face.

Brian
Old 04-12-2013, 08:32 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
So true John...when I was working on the floor as a painter I had a no BS factory rep that called it the way it was. What I liked about him was he not only talked the talk, he walked the walk. I not only learned painting tips and techniques from him, he taught me what a good factory rep was.

So often factory reps are trained to the point that it's manipulation. They go to their training center ready to learn and come out with a mind that is geared only to company that they are working for. They walk in and there Paint is the best, everybody else's paint sucks and no one has ever had a problem with their product. A good rep spends time with the painter as well as the owner of the shop. If there is a paint related problem, color match, adhesion issues whatever and the rep can't solve it on site, he contacts the company and makes them aware that there is a potential problem in the field. Many times the company will disagree and shelve the problem until it's to big to turn a blind eye to it and then solve it, but, without good factory reps the problem wouldn't get solved nearly as quickly. If anything new comes out, paint, equipment techniques a good rep let's everyone of his shops know (as well as shops that don't purchase his products). Yes John, there is a benefit to having a good factory rep.

Ray
My father was a salesmen my whole childhood, a rep is a "salesmen" as far as how the company sees him. Let me put that into context, my father taught me all those years as a child at the dinner table, "find out what the customers needs are and provide them with a solution". You don't sell something for the sake of selling it, if they don't need it, you are a POS for selling it to them. As a paint rep your job is to HELP THEM do their job better, PERIOD. When they have a problem to give them some free product to make them happy like a lot of reps do, is NOT helping them. To make them feel good like they did nothing wrong and it was somehow the products fault is NOT helping them.

Teaching them, helping them understand how to solve the problem next time, how to avoid the problem all together, Providing them with a new product that will HELP them, THAT is the job of a rep.

My father emphasized this to me over the years with funny (yet mostly true) analogy "A doctor doesn't learn a thing after leaving med school if not for the salesmen". And it is so true, talking with the orthopedic surgeon who repaired my sons very badly damaged broken femur last year he told me about the equipment he used and how there was a factory rep that comes into the ER guiding him thru the process and equipment that is rented for the operation!

The good rep be it paint, welding, or bone setting equipment comes with knowledge to HELP the client do his job better.

Brian

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.