Post WANTED!!! measurements from a 57 chevy more door - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2013, 07:32 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post WANTED!!! measurements from a 57 chevy more door

I you know of a buddy/club member or someone with an old body repair book (that a body shop might have had) I need this measurements If someone is willing to take the time
side of car fender edge door end from half way door the door straight back to the 1/4 at rear door.
so using the edge of the fender and 1/4 not the doors

then need pillar that holds the back door ("B" pillar) to striker area for door with the measurement midway in the depth of the pillar and the 1/4 striker area(where the door fits in between them so if pillar is 4" thick outside to inside half way in, and same at 1/4
one measurement at halfway down door and one near the rocker but higher than the curve where the pillar/rocker meet and 1/4 and rocker meet..
lastly roof to rocker measured from where the door glass sits in roof (opening) to rocker at the 1/4 but before the rocker curves up to the 1/4
looking at a car that the owner did work on the car and replaced rockers and striker area at 1/4 (where the 1/4 folds in and striker for do is.. no idea why he didn't do a full 1/4, but that's here,nor there.. if this description isn't clear enough. please p.m. me and I'll call you. and explain it.. doors are not hung and we want to make sure the reason it's for sale isn't the replacement metal repair and doors not fitting.. well, more like if they don't fit and it needs to be redone, to make offer accordingly . redoing it not an issue, for the person looking to own it (retired bodyman) but wants to know if the work is correct before he starts with an offer.. Yes it be easier to grab the rear doors and bolt them on, and that's what I'd have done. but for some reason , it wasn't. and it seems at least from the buyers end the seller isn't willing to be bothered hanging the door, so he'll go back once the guy digs out all the trim/glass/etc and then look it over again.. and measure the car and go from there, I guess the doors are not near the car, or something.. I think because the guy couldn't find the title, he didn't bother carrying the doors over to car and slapping them on. but I doubt that.. think the parts where to far away to carry them "to" the car.. Dads not as strong as he used to be, PLEASE help if you can, I'm trying to get him from the dark side and into a chevy :grin: sorry ford guys, the ford he really really wants a skyliner is way out of reach pricewise for anything not past being parted.. he's looked for the better part of 20 years.. and either found one but didn't move fast enough, they where basket cases, and having seen what he has brought back from the dead, these most of been total rotted p.o.s. or to much money..
Thanks for reading and if you can help please p.m. me..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57a.png
Views:	71
Size:	965.8 KB
ID:	99705  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2013, 07:49 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
Why can't you go to the other side of the car for your measurements? Or did he do both sides? There is no way in hell I would purchase this car without the doors on! NO WAY, unless I had a car sitting side by side to make the measurements. The type of obscure measurements you are asking for are really hard to accurately do each time if you had the car right next to you let alone if you are asking someone else to measure it for you on the other side of the country. Wait until the doors are there and bolt them on, I am thinking there is a reason he conveniently doesn't have the doors!

Brian
Old 11-21-2013, 08:59 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Why can't you go to the other side of the car for your measurements? Or did he do both sides? There is no way in hell I would purchase this car without the doors on! NO WAY, unless I had a car sitting side by side to make the measurements. The type of obscure measurements you are asking for are really hard to accurately do each time if you had the car right next to you let alone if you are asking someone else to measure it for you on the other side of the country. Wait until the doors are there and bolt them on, I am thinking there is a reason he conveniently doesn't have the doors!

Brian
yes he did both sides.. dad just wants the measurements to get an "idea" if the work is close, and if so will spend the time dealing with the doors.. like hanging them.. he knows this. but is also try'n to get the car as cheap as he can. and if the numbers are close, he'll take the time to hang them himself as long as the price is a reflection of that.
from what I gather the owner isn't the brightest bulb, and we are thinking he didn't do the work, and is why the doors are not hung and he hasn't bothered, as he may not have a clue on how to.. dad feels he shouldn't have to install the doors , and he's correct.. but if the measurements are close and he can settle on a price before he hangs the door " I'll give you x dollars for it if the doors and the work line up if not we'll go from there" type of deal. and I'm sure if he doesn't get it, he'll unbolt the doors and put them back, not allowing the guy to get all 4 doors hug for nothing..

all hinges on the guy either finding title or going to r.m.v. and getting a copy of it.. dad's got a few stints after a heart attack a few years ago, him carrying doors a 10th of a mile isn't a good idea.. but I'll go with him and carry them, he just wants to get a feel if the work is close enough to warrant even bringing the doors to the car. or tell the owner the works wrong, and needs to be redone and make a take it or leave it offer.. yes Ideally hanging the doors would be the best.. but dad's stubborn somewhat and feels the seller wants to sell he should do it. we already hit the club he belongs to and no one owns or knows of a 57 more door to use as a guide..
Like I said in first post.. the work being garbage isn't an issue as dad can do the work blindfolded, but wants to use the info to get the price to his like'n and not waste his time lugg'n the doors to car and hanging them. he eyeballed it.. but he said it's been a long time since he's works on 55-57 chevy's offen enough to look at it and say, ya that's off or not..
at any rate, if the guy get title, and we have ballpark measurements and the cars close. the doors will get hung as I'll carry them over to car.. if it was a ford skyliner I'm willing to bet he'd have hung the doors, made offer and it be in his garage, he like the 57 chevy, but loves the ford..
like everybody, he feels his time is worth something, and doesn't feel he should do the seller any favors but hanging the doors and him knowing they fit, unless they already have a deal in place before he bothers.. with the price going down depending on how far off the work is..
the seller is hurting for money, and dad can get it cheap enough that even if he had to redo the repairs, it be totally worth it, but he's being stubborn, and I guess he has a good point.. but he is looking a gift horse in the mouth, and wants to get it as cheaply as he can... for what the "asking" price is, he could buy it and double it parting it.. but he rather get it for the least amount he can, and I think this thinking will burn him like it has with the skyliners.. but it's his deal.. his money, me I'd have already made an offer pending he got a title from the rmv, he was driving it so that just a matter of the guy taking the time to sit at the rmv.
if it was a ford it already be in his garage even at the full price.. but it's not.. so this is where it stands, if I had the cash, I'd buy it, if it's as rust free as dad said it is, but dad has an odd idea of rust, rust/rotted fender bottoms,lips he dodn't think of as an issue.. and being a bodyguy, I guess it isn't.. but when I think rut free. that's not it, and if the strikers and rockers needed replacement unless this was a problem area in these cars. it rust free, or maybe is now but wasn't at somepoint. haven't seen car..
I honestly think, dad just wants the measurements to dicker on price.. using the knowledge of what another car measured out as and the le way built into these cars.. and being to point out ,"well this is off,thats off/etc" to get a lower offer deal..
if it was me it have changed hands, but I've always wanted a 57 and at almost 44 a 4 door would not bother me.. like it did 20 years ago..
and honestly, I'm haven't bought into the idea that he's even looking into this car for himself.. might be 100% wrong.. but .. after all the gag gifts on x-mas and birthdays of ford calendars,mustang(rustangs) diecast and so on. I just don't see him in a chevy..
I'd like to believe it's for him as I'll be able to help him and get more time with him, as I know more about the mechanical end of chevy's than fords.
and if he got board with it and wanted a ford afterwards I'd know the work was done 100% correctly as he is totally OCD on his bodywork. like I can see him pulling out the pick and file and almost zero body filler..
we'll see.. measurement will get dad more likely to be bothered spending his time on looking into it more, even if it means hanging the doors himself..
ME, I'm just try'n to egg him on..

Last edited by gearheadslife; 11-21-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:07 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

I don't have enough time to read your whole post but if you're wondering if the cowl is back, which happens a lot to those cars, measure your windshield pillar to your quarter in a couple areas. This is where a damaged cowl will jump out at you. But then again, I didn't read your whole post but will when I get home. You would obviously measure from bolt holes from the fender and door on the cowl as well. I say the cowl cause on every one I've done that had issues with the door were cause by the cowl. There's obvious other problems like the door jamb being pushed in from a hit to the quarter or guy didn't stand it up correctly when installing a quarter but the main issues for me have been with the cowl.

Last edited by tech69; 11-21-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:30 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
I don't have enough time to read your whole post but if you're wondering if the cowl is back, which happens a lot to those cars, measure your windshield pillar to your quarter in a couple areas. This is where a damaged cowl will jump out at you. But then again, I didn't read your whole post but will when I get home. You would obviously measure from bolt holes from the fender and door on the cowl as well. I say the cowl cause on every one I've done that had issues with the door were cause by the cowl. There's obvious other problems like the door jamb being pushed in from a hit to the quarter or guy didn't stand it up correctly when installing a quarter but the main issues for me have been with the cowl.
cowl has nothing to do with it, the striker area at rear doors was replaced.. but the fender edge to 1/4 lip will give an idea of the work, as will the other #'s . I'm ,like Brian betting on the rear doors not fitting, or the owner has no idea how to rehang the doors, the measurements are not so much as a guide to fix it.. but more to egg dad on, to look at it and go ,hum. son go grab a door.. I'm just don't my part to egg him on..
Old 11-21-2013, 11:44 AM

Last photo:

1957 Chevrolet Specifications
The Following User Says Thank You to killeratrod For This Useful Post:
gearheadslife (11-21-2013)
Old 11-30-2013, 08:01 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
I you know of a buddy/club member or someone with an old body repair book (that a body shop might have had) I need this measurements If someone is willing to take the time
side of car fender edge door end from half way door the door straight back to the 1/4 at rear door.
so using the edge of the fender and 1/4 not the doors

then need pillar that holds the back door ("B" pillar) to striker area for door with the measurement midway in the depth of the pillar and the 1/4 striker area(where the door fits in between them so if pillar is 4" thick outside to inside half way in, and same at 1/4
one measurement at halfway down door and one near the rocker but higher than the curve where the pillar/rocker meet and 1/4 and rocker meet..
lastly roof to rocker measured from where the door glass sits in roof (opening) to rocker at the 1/4 but before the rocker curves up to the 1/4
looking at a car that the owner did work on the car and replaced rockers and striker area at 1/4 (where the 1/4 folds in and striker for do is.. no idea why he didn't do a full 1/4, but that's here,nor there.. if this description isn't clear enough. please p.m. me and I'll call you. and explain it.. doors are not hung and we want to make sure the reason it's for sale isn't the replacement metal repair and doors not fitting.. well, more like if they don't fit and it needs to be redone, to make offer accordingly . redoing it not an issue, for the person looking to own it (retired bodyman) but wants to know if the work is correct before he starts with an offer.. Yes it be easier to grab the rear doors and bolt them on, and that's what I'd have done. but for some reason , it wasn't. and it seems at least from the buyers end the seller isn't willing to be bothered hanging the door, so he'll go back once the guy digs out all the trim/glass/etc and then look it over again.. and measure the car and go from there, I guess the doors are not near the car, or something.. I think because the guy couldn't find the title, he didn't bother carrying the doors over to car and slapping them on. but I doubt that.. think the parts where to far away to carry them "to" the car.. Dads not as strong as he used to be, PLEASE help if you can, I'm trying to get him from the dark side and into a chevy :grin: sorry ford guys, the ford he really really wants a skyliner is way out of reach pricewise for anything not past being parted.. he's looked for the better part of 20 years.. and either found one but didn't move fast enough, they where basket cases, and having seen what he has brought back from the dead, these most of been total rotted p.o.s. or to much money..
Thanks for reading and if you can help please p.m. me..
your dad is fixin to loose this one too if he keeps draggin his feet....57's are hard to find even 4drs and the one in the pic is a 4dr hardtop which is VERY hard to find. Myself ,I'd want to strip it all down to the metal anyways theres no way I spend any labor whatsoever going over a hobbiests work... strip it down and make it right all that unfinished work is worthless.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.