Hot Rod Forum banner

Post your favorite Engine photo.

102K views 330 replies 93 participants last post by  Too Many Projects 
#1 ·
We are not necessarly talking favorite engine, we are talking favorite photo of an engine (or engines in my case). Try to make it a full frame photo of JUST the engine if you can, that is what this is all about. :D

I have no idea what sparked me to start this thread but I thought it may be fun and the first "Motor" that popped into my head was the Sissell twin engine Chevy six rail. I saw this car at an event and honestly I was suppose to leave, I had somewhere to be but I HAD to hang around to see this car run. It is a friggin work of art!

Brian

See less See more
#4 ·
robin58 said:
Well, you didn't specify it had to be from a car, so this would be mine. Gives an entirely new perspective on rebuilding your engine. For those interested its a Wartsila-Sulser

LOL, that is way to cool, I can see one crammed into a Vega now. :)

Brian

#5 ·
MARTINSR said:
LOL, that is way to cool, I can see one crammed into a Vega now. :)

Brian
OR ... a Vega crammed into one of those cylinders? :eek: :D

The largest engine I'd seen previous to this was the one that powers the Norweigan Cruise Lines M/S Seaward.

I was on a cruise that I won through Engine Rebuilders Ltd (a Ford Reman back then), and the crew gave a tour of the engine room. Pistons were about the size of 208L drums.

Hmm ... I wonder if they run those on bio-diesel from kitchen grease? :mwink:

#6 ·
I wonder if they run those on bio-diesel from kitchen grease?
They probably wish they could. Fuel consumption is something absurd like 6.5 oz fuel per cylinder per single cycle.

Of course the pay-off is a staggering 5,600,000 ft.lb torque at 102RPM :D

I've seen a 12 cylinder version of this power plant and it is staggeringly huge.

#10 ·
I have always loved the hood belts. These days with all the fake "barn finds" you see, ( I LOATH that trend) you don't know what is real and what isn't without doing a through inspection. I remember being at the NSRA Western Nationals in 79 and there was a 29 Roadster REAL fifties hotrod with those hood straps and I fell in love with the idea. Very "functional" get down and RACE sort of look, I dig it.

Brian

#17 ·
My last motor build coming together :). Was a quick 1 month turnaround, but it felt good hitting that point where I knew I was just a few hours away from hearing it roar again.

Forged 302 3 valve. Behind it to the right you can see the twinscrew for it.

My GF managed to pick almost the perfect color from a wall of rattle cans for me to spray paint the valve covers with.

#19 ·
Siggy_Freud said:
My last motor build coming together :). Was a quick 1 month turnaround, but it felt good hitting that point where I knew I was just a few hours away from hearing it roar again.

Forged 302 3 valve. Behind it to the right you can see the twinscrew for it.

My GF managed to pick almost the perfect color from a wall of rattle cans for me to spray paint the valve covers with.
I like that photo, a work in progress.

Brian

#20 ·
DoubleVision said:
This would be mine. Smokey Yunick's 209 cubic inch twin turbo charged small block chevy. This engine made around 1300 horsepower on alcohol. And in Smokey's words "More mid range torque than I would care to talk about"
That is so damn awesome! Now mind you, I am no SBC fan, but this is SMOKEY for goodness sakes. I find myself staring at that photo just picking out all the interesting things. Check out the breathers on the tops of the valve covers. :thumbup: It has one of those big rectangular Mallary coils like I had on my truck when I was a kid. :mwink: DAMN that is so friggin cool.

I will never forget talking to him on the phone about a motor he had for sale. He really loved to talk. LOL And I was more than happy to listen.

Brian

#23 ·
starnest said:
My favorite is my current build. Still a lot to do but I hope to have it in the car and running by late spring. Note the lack of chrome.
Big torque, I love it.

Nolan, that is a wild site, holy crap. I love the turbo charger. Never ran one but sure love what they produce and the look is muscular.

Brian

#25 ·
Custom10 said:
OK so it is not nearly as exciting, but due to the 45 MPG (imp) I get with my new comuter,,, subaru's new 2.0L boxer is my new favorite engine :thumbup:

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/data/500/medium/SAM_0382.JPG
LOLOL, you made me laugh this morning. Remember, it CAN be your favorite engine but that doesn't make it your favorite engine PHOTO. :nono:

Just kidding, it's all good. Yeah Subaru produces some pretty nice cars.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.