Hot Rod Forum banner

Post your favorite Engine photo.

102K views 330 replies 93 participants last post by  Too Many Projects 
#1 ·
We are not necessarly talking favorite engine, we are talking favorite photo of an engine (or engines in my case). Try to make it a full frame photo of JUST the engine if you can, that is what this is all about. :D

I have no idea what sparked me to start this thread but I thought it may be fun and the first "Motor" that popped into my head was the Sissell twin engine Chevy six rail. I saw this car at an event and honestly I was suppose to leave, I had somewhere to be but I HAD to hang around to see this car run. It is a friggin work of art!

Brian

See less See more
#204 ·
I had to do a "shout out" to my brother on the motor. Yes it's just the cam that is different making the valves open at the proper time swapping the valves use. He was saying what they often did was run a blower on this type of motor because the first thing I asked was why in the world would you do this when you want the intake valve bigger than the exhaust? He said that this works perfect with a blower because it enlarges your "exhaust" valve being it changes your larger intake valve into an exhaust valve and then with the blower the smaller exhaust valves which become intake valves work just fine because the fuel and air are being pushed into the motor thru them with the blower.

Yep, interesting. Everything has been tried once, it's called hotrodding. Some found this useful and there have been some competitive cars over the years with this arrangement.

Brian

Reactions: John long
#205 ·
Seems to me that a batch of Fords from the early 60's were built for specific races that had a bunch of side draft carbs on the "outboard" sides of the heads and "bag of snakes" headers exiting from the center sides of the heads. Indy and (possibly) LeMans (GT40) racers come to mind......

#206 ·
What I planned on doing on my c-cab was build a tunnel ram type cross ram and run 8 side draft carbs,, Something wild and different,, But I been having this picture for a while and thought that would sure be cool and different... So for now it's up in the air..:mwink:

#207 ·
It was the 1964 Ford Indy DOHC engines I was thinking of. A brace of Webers feeding the intake BETWEEN the exhaust and intake cams on each bank,and the exhaust coming out from the center of the engine in a convoluted "bag of snakes" and exiting straight back through the middle of the car. Really wild design!

#213 ·
I was just standing not 50 feet from a pair of those motors running this past Saturday at the Dream Machines show. ("those" motors, large radials, don't know anything about Identifying exactly which ones).

Brian

#225 ·
#230 ·
That is so friggin cool! OMG I would buy a ticket to see that thing run in person, how cool! Thanks for posting that!

Brian :thumbup:

#237 ·
If you like V 12 Allison Engines your gonna like this!

This is a Allison V-3420. Two V 12's packaged togather. performance wasn't what they expected. It was fitted in a number of experimental air craft like the Fisher P 75. Counter rotating props. Neat to look at though!

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.