Powder Coating - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2008, 09:30 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Powder Coating

I was thinking of sandblasting and powder coating the frame of my 1948 chevy thriftmaster pickup. Good idea, bad idea with the powder coating?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2008, 10:21 AM
BLOWN 357

Last photo:

Powder Coating

I think its a great idea if you have the time and the money.Its alot of work but worth it in the end.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:46 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I hope that you aren't planning on doing that yourself. Sandblast the DuPont self etch primer and DuPont Centari then powder coat my TCI frame was less then $500 and it included a bunch of brackets - tho they aren't seen in this photo. Colors were a very few bucks more then the black.

Dave W
Old 04-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

You need to have everything done to the frame ( mock up ) before you powder coat. I went with paint ... it is very difficult to hide even the smallest pit or imperfection ... with powder coating. It also does not shine as well as buffed paint.

The above is just paint ... no buff

I had the 9 inch Ford rear end housing powder coated and it just does not look as good to me as paint.

Buffed a little ... ( above )
On a 32 Ford ... the side rails show and are a major part of the appearance of a 32 Ford ... so shine was very important to me. On your project ... the frame does not show as much ... so you may have a different objective.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 04-06-2008, 04:47 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

For me, the jury is still out on powder coating. My experience is limited, but what little I have had, I was disappointed in the chip resistance displayed. I had a set of wheels done because of the beating they take and after the tire mounting and installation on the car (care was exercised), I have some minor chipping. Bummer. If I were to do any of my frames again, I would go with Por 15 because that stuff is tougher than powder coating in my opinion and is shiney without buffing.

Trees
Old 04-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I am going with epoxy primer on mine because I like the idea that if i need to fix something or need to make a modification it is no trouble to repair the paint..Ask Bill Parten about that one.. I may shoot it with some black single stage with flattening agent or something else...depends on what I have on the shelf and how ambitious I am at the time..

Powder coat is good stuff on some things specially small parts that can be hard to paint..

Sam
Old 04-06-2008, 07:37 PM

powder coating

Thanks a bunch for the advice. I still haven't decided which way to go. I guess it depends on the price differences. I'm in no hurry. Maybe it is best to save for the best results.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:20 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

Paint...paint...paint.

I tried to talk my son out of powder coating his sand buggy. It looked nice the day we picked it up. It looked nice the day we finished assembling it. The supposedly hard finish turned to sandblasted satin after the first hour on a damp trail.

A PIA TO FIX, MODIFY, UPDATE. Try to remove PC to do a weld especially a TIG weld. Hope you have lots of patients.

A 60 minute weld repair after hitting a tree required hours of sanding, grinding and swearing. Krylon rattle can spray over the repair looks fine after several months of the same trails. Just give it a quick recoat if necessary.

Never again.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:08 AM
Certifiable Streetrodder

Last photo:

I guess my opinion on powercoating a frame is "it depends" on the application! I agree that an off-road application is the wrong application, if you need to repair, the powder coat is a tough problem, but I have powdercoated the frame on my 37 coupe, and it's held up spotlessly for a few years now. I recently had a powdercoated chassis assembled for a customer in metallic Grey that looks great, and shines like all getout! The typical streetrod that is finished to the degree of powdercoating a new chassis rarely sees daily or "rough" use! ANY covering:paint,powder coating,chroming,anodizing,ect... can be damaged, the big plus with powdercoating is that the part can be handled immediately after,(when cool) and the surface is not affected by brake fluid,gasoline,ect. and has a high abrasive resistance before the steel breaks the surface. You can utilize area factories that powdercoat in their manufacturing process for a frame rail, but you are limited by the color in their line. as most small powdercoating shops cannot accommodate an object as large as a frame!
Old 04-07-2008, 10:42 PM

Last journal entry: a few more pics of my pro street 66 C10
Last photo:

RE: powder coating

I am no longer in the powder coat business but I was the owner of advanced powdercoating for awhile. I will tell you as a painer and as a powder coater they both have strong and weak points, however powdercoat comes out the winner everytime. I had no trouble hiding flaws, pits or other issues, color selection was huge and could be custom mixed to produce nearly any color. shine could equal most paint my work was often thought to be paint. here will be the hard part. find a shop able and willing to do the job right. It seems in the powdercoat world many people want a quick buck and take no pride in the work they do. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO MAKE SURE THE PART IS CLEAN RIGHT BEFORE POWDERCOATING IT. This is something the shop should take care of, it can never be to clean. Good luck
Old 04-08-2008, 08:00 AM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

I vote for paint on the frame. Seems like now how well you plan and mock up, there is always some little thing that needs to be welded on after the final assembly. Easy to touch up the paint, impossibile to touch up the powder coat.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:20 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM
I vote for paint on the frame. Seems like now how well you plan and mock up, there is always some little thing that needs to be welded on after the final assembly. Easy to touch up the paint, impossibile to touch up the powder coat.
You just don't have it powder coated until you blow the whole assembly apart for the LAST time for paint. I only had 4 holes to drill and tap after PC. And PC is tough stuff as I've dropped wrenches, bolts and other components on it with absolutely no marks. I originally had it very nicely painted - and it had many scratches, dings and chips. If it is done right, the pre powder coat sandblast cleans up a lot of surface rust, welds and tight corners that are very difficult to mechanically clean (not everyone has access to a sandblaster).

Dave W
Old 04-10-2008, 10:15 PM

Last journal entry: New Pics
Last photo:

I'm going with paint for the frame on my 35. The problem with pc is if moisture gets underneath, it will come off in patches. And you can't touch up and repair pc.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:15 AM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Last journal entry: Getting rid of the old and Adding the New
Last photo:

I'm going with the Black Epoxy primer on my frame then I'll give a few coats of clear for shine. Cheaper to do, repair & modification friendlier than powder coat.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.