Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Powder coating (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/powder-coating-213158.html)

dawgates 01-23-2012 10:23 PM

Powder coating

What would happen if you first port match your intake manifold and then, power coated the inside runners? If you're worried about atomizing the fuel as it flows through the manifold, use a wrinkle finish powder coating.

68NovaSS 01-23-2012 10:28 PM

What would be the benefit??

dawgates 01-24-2012 09:19 AM

It would be like polishing the runners, smoother flow to the cylinder head. It would also fill any imperfection inside the manifold. And if I understand it right, keep the fuel air mixture cooler.

matts37chev 01-24-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgates
What would happen if you first port match your intake manifold and then, power coated the inside runners? If you're worried about atomizing the fuel as it flows through the manifold, use a wrinkle finish powder coating.

wouldnt help anything that I know of
the gas would slowly eat it away anyway, over a few years

just curious, what intake is it?

dawgates 01-24-2012 09:37 AM

I haven't done this just for the reason you mentioned. But the manifold is this chinese piece I got from Pro Comp. It was cheap so I'm not worried if I screw it up. The thing was bad when I opened the box. None of the ports matched so I port matched everything, cleaned up the runners and plenum too, poor casting. On one port I had to epoxy fill because the opening was too high and was to far into the gasket for my liking. It looks much better now and then I wondered about powder coating the inside.

AutoGear 01-24-2012 10:29 AM

If the solvent (gasoline) degrades the powdercoating and this 'sludge' ends up in your crankcase and then gums up...everything or hangs a valve open...hey if you bought the junk intake to begin with...I hope you didn't invest much in the motor. Extrude Honing is a better option. YMMV

matts37chev 01-24-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgates
I haven't done this just for the reason you mentioned. But the manifold is this chinese piece I got from Pro Comp. It was cheap so I'm not worried if I screw it up. The thing was bad when I opened the box. None of the ports matched so I port matched everything, cleaned up the runners and plenum too, poor casting. On one port I had to epoxy fill because the opening was too high and was to far into the gasket for my liking. It looks much better now and then I wondered about powder coating the inside.

by the time you pay to have it powder coated, you could have bought an edelbrock air gap:spank:

matts37chev 01-24-2012 10:48 AM

I would just run it the way it is, or even better, try and sell it to help pay for a better intake :thumbup:

dawgates 01-24-2012 11:01 AM

I actually have 3 manifolds for my engine. The cheap chinese junk that I'm playing with, and Edelbrock RPM air gap and a Edelbrock street tunnel ram which is on the engine now. Don't know if my profile picture came up.

matts37chev 01-24-2012 12:08 PM

very good :cool: