Powder Coating? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2013, 01:05 PM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

BTW the pedal box I did using the chrome which has a clear coat:

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 01:06 PM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Other finishes which are real nice are the black wrinkle and the silver or gold vein.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:29 PM

A friend of mine currently passed away and left me a huge supply of powders almost every color including clears.

Don't really know what its worth but I have been thinking of giving it a try, I was going to clear a satin aluminum intake with clear to keep it from staining. any suggestions?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:38 PM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

If you are not ready to use the powder, make sure you store it in a dry area.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:44 PM

They are all stored in big plastic bags the way he had them.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:16 PM

Last photo:

I have tried six or seven different "chrome" powders. Most just look like polished aluminum. Tho one , that I got from an Ebay vendor, when sprayed over a black base, looked real good. But most need a clear coat, which changes the effect..

I see that now there are some powders that don't need the clear. I tried the original stuff without clear and out in the weather, it tarnishes..
Old 08-06-2013, 11:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gow589 View Post
I got a kiln for almost nothing. I built a circuit then wrote a book on the circuit to control it based on the arduino:

Powder Coating an Arduino

I use it in the shop every week to powdercoat something. I have used it several hundred times. The automated sequence makes it incredibly convenient. Drop the parts in and run the program. Done.

With ceramics on the decline and expensive automated ovens becoming the norm kilns are cheaply found on craigslist.

There are other commercial controllers which would control them as well.

Here are some photos:

Untitled Document

That is seriously awesome. How big is the kiln roughly?
Old 08-06-2013, 11:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblocks View Post
A friend of mine currently passed away and left me a huge supply of powders almost every color including clears.

Don't really know what its worth but I have been thinking of giving it a try, I was going to clear a satin aluminum intake with clear to keep it from staining. any suggestions?
Sorry to hear about your friend.

I have cleared bare steel before to prevent rust. This was a motorcycle tank for a Harley I did. It came out gorgeous and has a very unique look that I have honestly never seen before.

If you want to keep the satin intake satin, you may want to try a satin clear. A gloss clear will add a reflection. The tank above is done in semi-gloss.

The plastic bags are a good way to store them, just make sure their not in a humid area. They are said to last the longest kept at around 75 degrees so any where in your house is usually fine.

Last edited by 99ishvr4; 08-06-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gow589 View Post
BTW the pedal box I did using the chrome which has a clear coat:

Nice job, I checked out your site, love the engine. Your the only other person I have seen to coat their pedals, lol. It really becomes addicting, gets to the point that there is no reason any bracket on the car should look old and crappy and all must be powder coated.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
I have tried six or seven different "chrome" powders. Most just look like polished aluminum. Tho one , that I got from an Ebay vendor, when sprayed over a black base, looked real good. But most need a clear coat, which changes the effect..

I see that now there are some powders that don't need the clear. I tried the original stuff without clear and out in the weather, it tarnishes..
Yeah, the chrome look definitely goes out the window once the clear is applied. Its still a good look, just not what you would call chrome. I assume they will get it right one day, seems to be a huge demand for it.

I have heard about the newer powders that don't need a clear, haven't tried any yet.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:52 PM

Powder Coating?

Are there any dangers or problems with powder coating, either to the parts, or people involved? I heard that the high temperatures required to cure the powder can weaken certain components like wheels.

Last edited by OneMoreTime; 08-08-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:05 AM

Last photo:

[quote=leonlukas90;1702507]Are there any dangers or problems with powder coating, either to the parts, or people involved? I heard that the high temperatures required to cure the powder can weaken certain components like wheels.
I have heard this too, and I am not qualified to give a yes or no answer. It would take an expert on the subject to actually be able to say one way or another. I do know that some oem wheels and a lot of aftermarket wheels are powder coated at the factory, but they have experts.

This is my opinion, there are thousands of custom powder coating shops out there, and wheels are a very popular item for them. I'm sure there are a couple million powder coated wheels riding around out there that were powder coated by "less than experts in metallurgy" and I have only seen a handful of forum posts claiming that powder coating made their wheels all break. I'm sure if it was a real problem, there would be lawsuits and there wouldn't be so many shops doing wheels as their main income. Aluminum wheels are the rumored concern btw, specifically forged Aluminum, I have never heard of any issues with steel or iron.

As far as dangers to people, that's one of the "greener" points about it. It contains no VOC's. According to the msd's for the powders I use, it says "may cause mild irritation if inhaled or if left on skin." I use a respirator and wear gloves just to be safe and I have never had any issues. And after it is cured, it is completely safe. It is now considered a suitable replacement for stainless steel as a sterile surface in hospitals. I had a dentist comment on my site that even dentures are being powder coated now.

Last edited by OneMoreTime; 08-08-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:00 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ishvr4 View Post
That is seriously awesome. How big is the kiln roughly?
I just measured this Kiln, it's 17.5" x 19.5" but this is a small kiln. We got this one at an auction for almost nothing. I have some larger one's but my wife has dibbs on them for her stuff.

Having a few things set up makes it easy to do nearly any part which comes across the bench; to look good or just because it is an easy way to coat it. I do a lot of parts which are never seen because it is easy. Blast it, spray it and drop it in the kiln. Done.

I picked up a spray booth about the size a of a phone booth from an online auction for $50. It would be easy to make and has turned out to be another essential component in the mix. I used to pray the parts over a 55gal drum but this worked out well.

I mounted the electrical on the side so a switches turns everything on including the powdercoating electronic box.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:31 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Another think about the kiln is it has the ability to go to higher temps. I have also used it to ceramic coat headers and I have used it to heat cast iron before and after welding:

Old 08-08-2013, 01:09 AM

Last photo:

Gow589, thanks for the info. You are making me wish I had a shop, lol. I am completely out of room in the garage. I setup a small spray booth and ended up tearing it down for more room..

Keep up the good work though, I plan on trying the Cerakote ceramics soon. Which ceramic do you use?

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.