Powder Coating? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2013, 07:47 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Remember rule number 1. No matter how big your shop is, there is not enough room.

The ceramic was from Caswell Plating:

High Temp Ceramic Coatings - Powder Coating - Caswell Inc

I can tell you it stunk! I mean smelled bad. It reminded me of the "stop bath" from photography. It comes out real dull when done then you polish it out. I think I could have polished it more but it was fine for my application:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013, 10:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gow589 View Post
Remember rule number 1. No matter how big your shop is, there is not enough room.

The ceramic was from Caswell Plating:

High Temp Ceramic Coatings - Powder Coating - Caswell Inc

I can tell you it stunk! I mean smelled bad. It reminded me of the "stop bath" from photography. It comes out real dull when done then you polish it out. I think I could have polished it more but it was fine for my application:

Yeah, thats the ceramic I will be trying. Still undecided on what color. Ill remember to keep the doors open when I cure it, lol.

That is a gorgeous engine bay btw. Nice job. Sometimes I hate that my car its black, all the details kind of get lost because the bay is black. The red really makes the engine pop.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:58 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Thanks. Before the heater hoses were connected but flopping around. If you look at the black lines they are actually copper tubing with high temp powdercoating.

I also added aluminum plates on the decks. The MG has 2 identical holes for the brake set up so they can be used left side or right side. The washer fluid tank is a bottle which sits ont he deck. I built a tank which sits in the hole which cleaned up the shelves.

Tons of tidbits powdercoated you don't even notice. The black pieces in the radiator valance both on top and on the side. I use the Harbor Freight matte black a lot. It is cheap and about as forgiving as any color there is:

Old 08-19-2013, 05:08 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks. Before the heater hoses were connected but flopping around. If you look at the black lines they are actually copper tubing with high temp powdercoating.

I also added aluminum plates on the decks. The MG has 2 identical holes for the brake set up so they can be used left side or right side. The washer fluid tank is a bottle which sits ont he deck. I built a tank which sits in the hole which cleaned up the shelves.

Tons of tidbits powdercoated you don't even notice. The black pieces in the radiator valance both on top and on the side. I use the Harbor Freight matte black a lot. It is cheap and about as forgiving as any color there is:

The washer fluid tank is a great idea, I like how compact it is with most of it sitting in the firewall. Wish I had your fab skills, I saw some more pics of your work in a welder thread.

As far as the Harbor freight powder, I have definitely gone through several pounds of the black, for some reason at my store, the last 3 containers I bought all were very clumpy, so I switched to magic black and now just use the harbor freight powder on stuff my girlfriend wants done

I'm sure the color looks familiar to you, lol.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:12 AM

Last photo:

btw, do you do all your polishing as well?
Old 08-19-2013, 07:28 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ishvr4 View Post
btw, do you do all your polishing as well?
Have you tried the incandescent packs in the powder to dry the moisture? I shake them vigorously before I use them.

I do my own polishing but it is a lot of work. It often starts with sanding fine grits to get other scratches out. Not my forte but I get by. Sucks when the buffer slams it out of your hand on the ground with fresh scratches and dings.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:23 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Have you tried the incandescent packs in the powder to dry the moisture? I shake them vigorously before I use them.

I do my own polishing but it is a lot of work. It often starts with sanding fine grits to get other scratches out. Not my forte but I get by. Sucks when the buffer slams it out of your hand on the ground with fresh scratches and dings.
I haven't thought of that, I did eventually put the powder in my blender though, which got rid of the chunks. But I had already ordered a bunch of another matte black before I found this out so now I just use that.

I also try to do my own polishing, honestly haven't quite got it all figured out. I just can't seem to find an efficient tool for sanding the casting marks off in the crevices of parts. I have an intake manifold that I have been working on, on and off for about a year now. And yes that does absolutely suck when the buffer shoots the part. I was recently polishing this ac line:

and the buffer grabbed it and jammed it inbetween my bench and the buffer mount... Luckily I had a spare, but there goes several hours of sanding work.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:14 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ishvr4 View Post
and the buffer grabbed it and jammed it inbetween my bench and the buffer mount... Luckily I had a spare, but there goes several hours of sanding work.
Like I said, I had been there and I feel your pain.

When I do things like this tank, the welds are ground down with a grinder. Then I use the air tool with sanding disk going finer and finer on grit. Then I work to the scotch bright disk on the air tool then hand sand finer and finer.

Polishing is actually the last thing on a long list but I am starting from rough metal with deep scratches.

I have to be in the right mind set to do this!

http://www.rc-tech.net/weld/tank/tank1.jpg

http://www.rc-tech.net/weld/tank/tank4.jpg

http://www.rc-tech.net/weld/tank/tank7.jpg

BTW, I have done something similar to create a cam using a grinder for a single cyl automobile (old).
Old 08-20-2013, 07:16 AM

Last photo:

is this expensive to do? I get a lot of furnaces and heaters from jobs and could most likely build my own oven, but how about the rest of the supplies? my wife is looking for something to do at home and I have been tossing this idea around for some time. what kind of temps are needed?
Old 08-20-2013, 08:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
is this expensive to do? I get a lot of furnaces and heaters from jobs and could most likely build my own oven, but how about the rest of the supplies? my wife is looking for something to do at home and I have been tossing this idea around for some time. what kind of temps are needed?
You can get basic starter kit from H Freight very cheap and it works.. Powders are fairly inexpensive for basic colors. I still have my first powder gun from HF and it works great on some items..
Old 08-20-2013, 09:31 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Gun
Oven
Blaster
Powder

Blaster is the best method for getting most parts ready to accept powder. It is not the only method but I pretty much use it exclusively.

Ovens can be a kitchen oven but I would not use the one you cook in. Find a scratch and dent.

Gary
Old 08-20-2013, 11:42 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
Do you already have an air compressor? This is my spending breakdown for the non-consumable items when I started:

-60gallon air compressor $275 - craigslist
-craftsman powder coating gun $44 - amazon (other really cheap options are harbor freight gun at $67 and eastwood at around $100, a nice mid-level gun is the Redline EZ50 at $350, I plan to switch to this gun eventually)
-blast cabinet $75 - Craigslist
-2 household ovens - free - craigslist (I will eventually combine them into 1 larger oven)
-Garage electrical circuit for compressor an oven - $75 - lowes (would be cheaper online)
-Infrared thermometer $30
-ground rod and materials $20
-air hoses, blow guns, water traps ~$100 - harbor freight
-silicone plugs to mask holes $15 for a 50pack
-high-temp tape -free samples from epsi

consumables:
Powders(lb) run about $10-$15 each (allpowderpaints.com , powder365.com , prismaticpowders.com)
denatured alcohol is about $15/gallon (walmart)
I use either super clean or simple green extreme to clean ~$7 to ~15/gallon
I use black diamond coal slag from Tractor Supply to blast with its $7/50lbs.

The maximum temperature I use is 425 degrees F for outassing, powder is usually baked from 350-400.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Like I said, I had been there and I feel your pain.

When I do things like this tank, the welds are ground down with a grinder. Then I use the air tool with sanding disk going finer and finer on grit. Then I work to the scotch bright disk on the air tool then hand sand finer and finer.

Polishing is actually the last thing on a long list but I am starting from rough metal with deep scratches.

I have to be in the right mind set to do this!

http://www.rc-tech.net/weld/tank/tank1.jpg

http://www.rc-tech.net/weld/tank/tank4.jpg

http://www.rc-tech.net/weld/tank/tank7.jpg

BTW, I have done something similar to create a cam using a grinder for a single cyl automobile (old).
Thanks for posting those pics, it is neat to see a few pieces of metal become a seamless container. I really need to learn some fabrication skills, welders just have such a high cost of admission it seems...

This is the manifold I have been polishing:

The last pic is the level of polishing I left it at for a couple of years, but now that my car is down I aim to finish it. Its hard to see from the picture, but the entire bottom section is all still rough cast, same with in between the runners, and the area next to the throttle body flange. Also it was hand buffed with mothers, not machined polished like I would do now. I just dread getting out all of the sanding supplies and getting to work on it. I have been making my own sanding cones for for the dremel with sandpaper rolled around a small drill bit, but it just gets so tedious. Need to find a better way as this is just one piece of many I would like to polish. I decided to put it all off until the end, but then my car is going to be waiting on like 6 parts to get polished and that will probably take me 6 months with how much I like polishing, lol.

Last edited by 99ishvr4; 08-20-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:24 AM

Last photo:

Hey, just wanted to apologize to anyone that is following the site. I have not been able to make any updates lately. We are having to move pretty unexpectedly so I haven't had much free time with all of the packing and the crap that goes along with moving. Once we are settled down in the new house, the updates should start flowing along again.

For those interested in powder coating that haven't seen the site yet, there is still plenty of information on it to take in: Powder Coating: The Complete Guide
Old 10-01-2013, 09:37 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Basically my question is two fold.How does shops that power coat price their services and could I off-set the cost of the equipment by creating a local trade income??.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.