Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Powder coating @ home: mess & smell?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 07:12 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead
I do it in my basement garage, it's good to have ventilation if your doing a lot of big parts. It's not as bad as spray painting though. The thing I found was turn the air pressure down works best. You literally want the dust to settle on the part, not blow it on. If you blow it on, it just blows material off.
arrowhead, it's not ANYTHING like spraypainting, you attach that - clip to the part you are spraying-- the powder at and the gun puts a + charge on the powder so it is attracted to the - steel part. most of the powder ends up on the part. the trickey thing is to get the part in the oven without any of the powder falling off. i find it helps to preheat big parts in the oven before you even spray them--but be advised, handling parts at 400 degrees can be detrimental to your hands...

OH, by the way, you are right. i spray at like -1LB pressure. the powder just floats out of the gun and gets sucked onto the part. if you get too much powder on the part the excess just falls off.

Last edited by techron; 03-19-2008 at 08:06 AM.