Powder coating vs. chrome - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2004, 05:49 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Powder coating vs. chrome

Do they make a powder coating that resembles chrome?
And would it look cheesy on a 1954 F100 grille (the one with the fangs)?
I stopped at a powder coating place yesterday and asked the guy about it, but he imediately shut me out saying he ruined a guy's grille before. Said it melted. I told him he wouldn't be melting mine because it's 16ga. steel, not pot metal.
He still didn't want to touch it.
So now I gotta find another powder coater or a chrome shop, which seems to be rather rare in St Louis.
Anyway, just wanted opinions on what a powder coated grille might look like.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2004, 05:59 AM

I am pretty sure they can do a chrome and / or metallic powder coat finishes. On a '54 white might not look bad either for the grill.... guess it kinda depends on what color the truck is painted.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:05 AM

Last photo:

I know very little about powder coating but I would have thought that the finish would depend on the condition of the grille to start with.

I don't know how you would fill any dents,holes etc prior to coating. I have an F1 grille that needs sorting but I'm going to redesign and rebuild it and then paint it as normal.

Hellz
Old 01-21-2004, 06:41 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

You may want to check into Jet Hot coating. It has an almost billet aluminum look and is very tough. It will stand up well to stone chips. Go here... http://www.jet-hot.com/
Mark
Old 01-21-2004, 07:52 AM

Last photo:

Thanks guys, I'm still banging and welding sheet metal and still can't decide on the color scheme. Was thinking about cheapo John Deere Blitz black, which might look kinda cool with a grill that looks like polished aluminum, (kinda like Jesse James car on the autocrap commercials). But now from reading this here forum, I've found out about Nason paint. I'm way too new at this to be shooting a $500 can of paint. So now, I'm thinking about some other color but I have no idea what.
And thanks for the JetHot option Astroracer, I hadn't even thought of that. That would probably be even better than powder coating.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Think of powder coating as paint on steroids. They have many colors but you can't get any effects you can't get with paint. I'm afraid the closest you can come to chrome with PC is silver which would be disappointing. I am a big fan of the metallic/ceramic coating for things like exhaust manifolds and headers but I wouldn't be happy with it on body trim. Would be more like the cheesy 'bright' aluminum that Detroit used for so many years in the 60s and 70s. For body trim, there really isn't any substitute for the real thing - triple chrome.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:15 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Willys. Yer right, ya just caint beat chrome. Her favorite color is chrome!
It a really good grille anyway from what I can tell. It still has the original paint plus a couple coats more, and it doesn't appear to have any dents in it at all, and just a little surface rust on the inside of it.
Do you have any idea what it might cost to triple chrome something like this? I've never had anything chromed.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The cost of chrome is in the labor to restore and polish the parts. The cost will be less the better condition the parts are in. Disassemble the grill to the basic parts to save labor. That is about as far as you can go, the rest is up to the plater. I am in the same spot as you are with my '53 Chevy pickup grille - ready for chrome. As I recall your truck grille, a guess would be in the $250- $350 range. It is worth doing your homework on chrome platers because the quality varies a lot depending on the skill of the workers and they price this stuff on the fly - you take your parts in, a guy looks at them for about 3 seconds and quotes a price. Ask around for people who have a preference for a shop and ask the shop to see some of his work. They should have a bunch of finished parts in their shop for you to see.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:44 AM

Last photo:

Bikers

Over the years I have always looked for the local bikers chrome shops. They seem to have an ability far better than most chrome shops. Point. I had the chrome window pillar in my Alfa rebuilt. Then they use a triple nickle chrome that made the pillar just sparkle. It was so good that I had them do all the chrome on the car. Cost $$$$ and two kids. Powder coating follows the dents and so you need to repair them first. Cost less also. But CHROME is KING.

hr41pearl
Old 01-21-2004, 10:58 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Good point. Let the chrome shop know if you want pretty good chrome or show quality chrome. It's all in how much effort they put into the prep work.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:29 AM

Last photo:

I do know a lot of bikers around here and they all seem to go to one speed shop in Granite city. I'll give them a call. Thanks a lot.
Now I'm pondering shaving the front bumper and filling the holes in the valance, but whoever put the camaro sub in my truck did a really good job at putting the bumper horns back on. I kinda hate to undo it. But I can buy an aftermarket chrome bumper for it for about 160 bucks so I'd buy one of them before I'd try to have the original chromed. But the grille seems to be fairly rare. Somebody is repopping the '55 and '56 grille, but not the '54.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:15 PM

Last photo:

C v P

OK. Just for you. I have posted two 54's in my gallery. Check them out and tell me which of these babies you want to see when you open the BIG door. You know my choice.

hr41pearl
Old 01-21-2004, 01:20 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Thom. OK Yeah the chrome one for sure!
Now I can show my wife the difference and justify the expense (yeah right.....HA!).
If I had a choice between the wife and the truck....
Old 01-21-2004, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

BUSTED

Hmmm. Yah, your knuckles aren't the only thing. Glad to help. Great trucks. Been thinking on getting one, but my wife says I already have too many toys. NEVER.

hr41pearl

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.