powdercoating - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2004, 11:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I saw a few years ago when my powdercoating shop was open a new coating style called Flamespray its used to powdercoat wood and plastic so that mite help...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2004, 09:28 PM

Last journal entry: Suggestions worth sharing
Last photo:

I would use extreme caution if contemplating use of the flamespray process with thermosetting powder coatings. What limited amount of flamespray results I've seen was not impressive in terms of being a robust and foolproof process. It appears to me that flamespray is very difficult to get satisfactory cure with thermosetting powders, simulataneously scorching the coating surface in places and grossly under-curing other spots. I think it's much more suitable for use with thermoplastic powders, but then why anyone one want to use thermoplastic powder on an automotive body panel (which was the inital topic of this thread) is not obvious to me.

I guess I probably risk getting flames by a hundred replies insisting that flamespray is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but that has definitely not been my experience. If my choices were limited between flamespray powder or two-component liquid, personally, I'd have to choose the liquid without hesitation.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:32 PM

Oh I see I just heard about it and never checked in to it much. but if you have seen it then I will take your word for it .. I just thought I would say something about it ..
Old 07-05-2004, 10:42 PM

BarryK, check out www.kochllc.com. I've worked here designing paint finishing systems including dry-off and curing ovens for 25 years. I'm currently the Engineering Manager. E-mail me and I'll tell you anything you need to know about designing a powder cure oven. gmw@kochllc.com

Greg
Old 07-06-2004, 02:14 PM

Powder coating

I just had my 65 mustang conv. floor completely replaced in Harrisburg.

I am now interested in powder coating the frame, new floor, and engine well (black). I am looking a recommendation for a quality powder coating shop in Ohio.

Good time to get it done since the frame has just been off the body. Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-06-2004, 07:01 PM

Last journal entry: Suggestions worth sharing
Last photo:

BarryK and GMW, George Koch (pronounched like Cook) is one of the largest and most reputable finishing equipment and oven suppliers in the industry. I didn't know we had their Engineering Manager reading this board! Anyway, I'm pleased to be able to vouch that these guys definitely have expertise in finishing ovens.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by powderbill
BarryK and GMW, George Koch (pronounched like Cook) is one of the largest and most reputable finishing equipment and oven suppliers in the industry. I didn't know we had their Engineering Manager reading this board! Anyway, I'm pleased to be able to vouch that these guys definitely have expertise in finishing ovens.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Bill,
I gathered that by looking at their web site. Have emailed GMW my address.
Barry
Old 07-06-2004, 08:01 PM

wow! that's going way beyond my knowledge! thanks a bunch powderbill, I think I need to print this out so I can read it again when I am ready without having to find it buried in this site!...and go talk to someone locally to help with such a project...
Old 07-10-2004, 09:35 PM

Last journal entry: Disaster
Last photo:

It is possible to powder coat body panels
about 5 years ago I had a friend that worked for dodge. He said that they used a powdercoat on their body panels. apparently his job was to sand the powdercoat for paint.
-alfie
Old 07-13-2004, 09:28 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Powder Coating

Well from what I read in the posts I think for me Powder Coating is a don't go there deal...There are some very good industrial epoxy coating around that I feel would be very good for a lot of things and they can be applied with normal spray equipment..

I believe that would be the best for me..

Thanks
Old 07-20-2004, 08:56 PM

Powdercoating automobile body

I have read the post about questions regarding whether or not it is possible or feasable to powercoat auto bodys. Well I say yes I have had several done and I'm in process of doing my 99 chevy crewcab and a 59 Chevy truck. Is it easy no, it is a lot of work taking it apart but as far as cost comparison to paint it is worlds cheaper. I realize most people are not going to take their car or truck apart that they drive everyday but for those with project car it is an everyday thing. I had a few problem the first time with orangepeeling but fixed it and since the new body fills have came out it is gettin alot easier. Bumpers powdercoated are the way to go they can take a lot of abuse and still look good. Of coarse most shop do not have ovens big enough for and entire vehicle but most are big enough for the individual parts. Yes, you must be careful with newer cars because the sheet metalon some are very thin and most warping appears in blasting, but i had all my pieces glass blasted and yes in a blasting cabinet. I have not experience any serious problem and as far as dulling, I had my first one done 6 years ago and still looks like it did back then. The clearcoats available today are awesome. Well went on long enough but wanted some to know it can be done but finding someone who really knows how to do it is the bigger problem.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Re: Powder Coating

Quote:
Originally posted by OneMoreTime
Well from what I read in the posts I think for me Powder Coating is a don't go there deal...There are some very good industrial epoxy coating around that I feel would be very good for a lot of things and they can be applied with normal spray equipment..

I believe that would be the best for me..

Thanks
Good! That leave more for me!
Old 07-21-2004, 10:22 AM

The key to makin a good job on auto bodies when powder coating in my experience is using a convection type oven. Most people are mislead about the process , you do not roll the vehicle in the booth and oven and have it powdercoated but instead each individual part. Prep work is key and they type of equipment you are applying powder with. Hobby guns dont cut it in this instance. As far as epoxys go forget those the are for indoor or below ground application because they break down under uv exposure. Super Polys (TGIC) are what you need for your top coat and clear coat. There are alot of good primer powders but it boils down to the experience of the person doing your work. Most companies that powdercoat use conveyor powder booths and ovens and are not ideal for auto bodies and the rest do not have 5-10 convection ovens ranging from 20-45'. It is all about preference but as technology advances powder increases in popularity. I'll post some of my projects I had done to show the before and after. As far a the adhesion of powder versus paint , in my opinion there is none. The best paint job adheres less that a bad powder but all depends on the person doing the work. Paint on metal can easily be removed but powder on the other is a whole different ball game. Well have enjoyed everyones post and happy Hotrodding.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

My guy has a drive-in oven. Looks a lot like a spray paint booth. He powders parts mounted on rolling racks then rolls them into the oven to bake. His oven would easily hold a car or truck body.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:01 AM

I understand what your saying willy's. The ones where I have mine done are to but just want people to not to think that it is like a paint booth. For example cab, front end and bed on the frame of a truck will not be in booth together assembled but seperatly to cover entire piece. Now For example, My 36' enclosed car trailer we did in the oven and was coated inside and out except for the axles which were removed cause of grease fittings and any weather striping and lights. It is an entirly different procees than liquid paint is what I was referring to.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.