Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Powdered Metal Connecting Rods?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I like them. I`ve run them in several high performance street/track builds and haven`t had a problem. One day at my machinists he had a bunch of small block 350`s laying around that he had gotten from the bus shop. One was a late 90`s out of a GMC pickup. We tore it down and found the crank was broken in half, but the PM rods didn`t have a scratch. My best friend bought the rods and we used`em. His engine now has about 25,000 miles, some of those miles are hard with held high revs. No problems of yet. On a future build in a play mud truck where RPM`s will be held high for good periods of time we fully plan to use PM rods. In the past I`ve seen stuff that was made out of powdered metal and it was crap, I think we call it "pot metal" where the curing process must have been very poor as it broke so easy. However, GM seemed to do there homework on curing it properly because they have a nice smooth appearance and look great. In many cases I`ve seen them shot with nitrous and a piston gave up before the PM rods did. Now I`m not going to say they work miracles or there perfect, I`m only saying from what I`ve seen from first hand experience. I have a fresh set of baby LT1 PM rods that are 5.940 that I plan to use in a future 327 build.