Poweglide Rebuild - How long can it sit? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008, 06:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Poweglide Rebuild - How long can it sit?

Had a '61 Powerglide transmission rebuilt by the "AA" people for my sons Impala. Tranny sat (inside) for a little more than a year while we got engine rebuilt and some other chores. Installed tranny about 14 months later, filled w/ transmission fluid and drove a few times up and down street over a few weeks to debug carb/etc... and few weeks later about 8 miles to "AA" for check. During that time tranny never shifted in 2nd (high). No more than 30 miles total put on tranny.

"AA" wants to charge me to R&R tranny. They say fluid smells burned....Does this sound reasonable? Does sitting for 14-15 months cuase issues?

Any feedback is appreciated...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2008, 08:44 PM
BLOWN 357

Last photo:

Transmission

The transmission sitting for 14 months should not effect the transmission or the fluid.The only thing that might pose a problem are the seals leaking fluid.If the fluid smells burnt it would indicate overheating the tranny.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:31 AM

Last photo:

When an AutoTrans is built your supposed to soak the clutch friction discs for 30mins. before assembly. If you don't the friction material will basically shread & peel off when there applied. Sitting for 14-15 Mths. could have let them dry back out. My Trans guy says if it has sat for months to put car on jack stands & let in run in P or N for 1-2 minutes then shut off and let it sit for 30min or so. Crank & run through gears with no revs & let it sit for 30 again. After that frictions should be fine.
The Automatics Clutch friction material is very delicate. It's not like the material used in a Manual Trans clutch plate. Basically just paper type fiber glued with waterbased glue.
Did it never shift or slip when it shifted. May have trash in the valvebody that could have come from clutches.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:59 AM

Trans sitting

They sit for years on the rebuilders shelf and it really makes no difference. However, when ever I take a trans off the shelf that has been rebuilt and sat for more then a month or so I drop the pan and throw out the new residence that moved in after rebuild was completed :-)

I just dropped the pan on a 350 turbo rebuilt two years ago and found a brown recluse moved in.... I served him an eviction notice of brake cleaner.... He died!!! Heeee! Mud daubers etc, love to hide inside. They bring with them all sorts of stuff, dirt grit babies webs..... Have ever found stray ant farms... Now that will burn your clutch plates, won't it?

Remove the pan, wash the valve body dow with brake cleaner (dry cleaning fluid--- carbon tetracloride) all the same, causes cancer, but sure raises hell with unwanted tenants..... Then blow it all dry with air.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:00 PM

If this is a '61 Impala it should have a cast iron Powerglide. There is no pan to "drop" on a cast iron 'glide. No upshift can be caused be several internal issues with the trans, some even assembly related. The amount of time you indicate the trans sat dormant will not cause failure, assuming there was no water intrusion. If you did the installation and want the chain guys to fix it, you must remove it or pay them to do the R&R. My custoimers all know that a carryout trans is warranteed for performance. If it fails, they pay me to do the R&R. If you remove the trans for repair, they should fix the trans, assuming there are no installation related failures.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.