POWER accesory wiring harness - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2006, 12:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

POWER accesory wiring harness

I am no genious but wiring harnesses are fairly simple. Here is where I get real lost. I am going to put in a new wiring harness on my 91 corvette. It needs it, the fuel injection is gone, transmission has been swapped. Radio swapped out, Ac disconnected, alarm gone, vats gone airbagsgone ect ect.

I feel its time for a new harness to do things right. Where I get scared is.

How do I get a harness to work the power options. Such as power seat, door locks, mirrors, power headlight motors, heater control unit. I want to reuse the old switches if at all possible. Am I going to have to cut all the wires and just splice the new harness into the wires??

ALso under the dash of my vette there are alot of boxes how do I know if I need them or have to use them, should I just start over from nothing??

If I buy a complete wiring harness will the give me a wiring diagram of my car, will they give me tech help for this situation???

IS THIS POSSIBLE ALOT OF FEAR IN MY HEAD RIGHT NOW

Last edited by 91vette; 04-08-2006 at 12:34 PM. Reason: more questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

You need to Tell me a little more about the car..

Is it still computer controlled ? (I know you said the FI and others was bypassed)

Do you still have BCM (body control module) VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) And a working DIC (Data Information center?) and LO~Jack?If so you will only want to replace specific parts of the harness , Engine for instance..

If the car is stripped, (electrical wise) and has none of the above, By all means Yes you can do a straight up Harness system is doable without major headaches..

Save all your old Harness plugs and switch Connectors, and those connectors specific to the Corvette harness..(Aftermarket kits usually won't have these) If you have some that are suspect, you can obtain them at Corvette central (expensive) or Auto zombie (lot's cheaper)..

Make tons of notes as you remove the old harness, location, destination, wire size color etc (anything you feel may need addressing later) And back up everything with digital photos as you remove the old wiring.. Burn that to your hard drive for future reference.

Those "boxes" under the dash can be anything from BCM functions to alarms (chimes) you'll have to identify them one at a time..

Your best shot is get a manual for the 91 Vette, this will help you ID things as you pull it down..Tag and BAG them..and you can decide if it needs to go back in later..If you need them I have a few..not so very good ones)

Ron Francis makes a good harness system, you should contact him about your application, and tell him exactly what you are doing..what options you would like to have..His systems are expensive..but you pay for what you get!

Remember: Good Ground Is at a preminum in a Corvette! When in doubt..run a ground extra..

Doc
Old 04-08-2006, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

great reply

Well first I must say the only thing I did to the car b4 the short was I removed a ground that my dad had put on the car. It was a mallory ingnition ballast resistor. I didnt think it needed to be grounded. Still dont think it does. But my starter wont work and I fried something along the harness. Guess I did need it??

As far as the chimes and stuff, Alls I want is the car to run with all the power options to work. The vats has been bypassed a long long time ago. Screw all the other crap who needs it anyway. I think I will talk to Ron Francis.

I was looking at the American Autowire Kits around 400. Not bad.

I will talk to the both on Monday and see from there. First I am going to cut apart the whole harness and see what burnt up. As ffar as I can see now it all looks fine. I have the entire dash out and dont smell any burnt wires or even see any.

But when I hook up the battery to the car it goes nuts. One minute this work then it doesnt. Then the car is buzzing inside then its not, then its buzzing outside then not. Very confusing. Thanks for the info and I will see what they have to say.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:01 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

OK, FIRST...

Ballast resistors are NEVER grounded..Never..

They are in series with the coil power line from the Ignition switch and The + side of the coil..With the key on, and points shut (or jumped to ground) At the Switch side of the resistor you should read about 11 or 12 volts..and on the + side of the coil it will read 6 to 9 volts..This is correct.

That being said, BEFORE you snip ANY wires, here is what I think happened, When you hit "Run" on the Ignition, It shorted the Ignition power back to the switch, AND IF YOU had it, the secondary wire to the "R" terminal on the Starter solenoid..These are the two wires you want to inspect for melt down..Clear or replace them..

Next because of the high current short on the Ignition most likely the fuse link melted.. and may be just "touching" inside it's taped or heat shrink cover. When you put high current drain on it it will physically move..and cause things to go on and off..

Locate that (those) Fuse links..and replace them, should be on the big bolt on the starter solenoid wire (may be a few inches to feet back, you'll have to untape harness to locate it maybe) OR on a single terminal binding post at or near the battery..

Inspect, replace, repair or clear the Ignition harness (and the bundle it runs in ) for melt down, Then locate and replace the fuse links and I'll bet you'll have everything back working whole again..(minus anything you stripped out)

Doc
Old 04-09-2006, 06:51 AM

Last photo:

the fuseable link was wired correctly we just added a ground to the braket that attaches it to the firewall. My dad is a firm believer in grounding everything.

With that said I am not sure what caused the short???

I agree the thin starter wire on the R terminal is dead we already checked it and the ignition is most likely shorted. We are gonna cut the harness today and find out what happened.

Thanks for you advice. jesse
Old 04-09-2006, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

in deep now

I cut apart the whole wiring harness on the car and found that the wire from the resistor was completely shorted. The entire harness on the car besides that was fine.

replaced the wire and tested the igntion wire for power and nothing. The starter wire nothing. Electric windows nothing. Power mirrors nothing. The car still humms and clicks on and off and buzzes. LIke a circus!!

Now there is not a single wire in the car. I removed everything, the dash all the computers, every wire I could find is gone. I am going to order a kit in the next week. Not sure which one.

Was looking at the highway 22 kit from american autowire. I am gonna call Ron Francis tomorrow and speak to them. I like that I am about an hour and an half away from his shop. Just in case..

I cant believe the # of boxes that were in the car its unreal. Wish me luck. I need to find schematics for the car though any idea. I have a hanes manual but that is not nearly good enough.

Just hope I can get the stock heater control to work. I am guessing mist likely not. That is the only real worry.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

Well , Glad to hear you are making progress on your project..

I sure wish you'd have tried the fuse link (s) first..before tearing it all out. A blown link will disable all electrical in the car..lights, seats, windows Ignition, any system that requires voltage / Current..

First part of my Idea happened (Ignition wire melted) , and that would have killed the link (s) leaving the car electrically dead as a doornail..

Well let us know what you find after you Contact the Harness people, Were all here to Support you..

Doc
Old 04-09-2006, 06:27 PM

Last photo:

checked it

I checked for the fuse links and from what I can tell they were good. I followed the starter wire from the starter and it went into one of the many boxes in the car. Every wire I tried to follow kept changing colors and kept going into different boxes. I think my BCM might have shorted out.

That is what I was thinking. Everything else looked fine... Too many computers in cars. We are gonna take it back and wire it like a muscle car. VERY SIMPLE, we will add the power options as well. Just takes alot of time.

Screw computers. What a headache.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91vette
I checked for the fuse links and from what I can tell they were good. I followed the starter wire from the starter and it went into one of the many boxes in the car. Every wire I tried to follow kept changing colors and kept going into different boxes. I think my BCM might have shorted out.

That is what I was thinking. Everything else looked fine... Too many computers in cars. We are gonna take it back and wire it like a muscle car. VERY SIMPLE, we will add the power options as well. Just takes alot of time.

Screw computers. What a headache.
Doc here,

Shhhhhh!

Don't say that too loud..your typing on one..

Yeah, and Corvette tends to bring it to the extremes..just when you think you found it..there is another "Box" that is a state Secret in the way..

That's why I call them "General Mystery"..

Keep us updated!

Doc
Old 04-10-2006, 07:45 PM

Last photo:

bought a harness

I have bought a harness for my car. After talking to a few notable companies, which some were a let down. I have found a company that really took the time to help.

I called Autowire and the told me I was in trouble with the car. They said I could not rewire it due to the fact that corvettes have relays and boxes for everything. I asked them well isnt a turnsignal a turnsignal?? and a brake light a brake light?? They said not on a corvette?? Not sure what they meant but I dont believe it. They said every switch has a relay on my car and it was to much trouble to get into it. They did offer to sell me a kit but said they wouldnt be able to give me technical assistance with the car.

Next up was Ron Francis, I must say they were the biggest let down off all. They said no problem, we have the kit for you. When I asked them about what Autowire had said about the boxes and relays they said we have no clue and wouldnt be of any help to you. If I wanted to buy a kit they would sell me one but again with no technical assistance available.

Finally I called Haywire and hit the jackpot!!! I talked to Ken the owner and he went throught their kits and recommeneded one for me. (E SERIES) After I told him of what Autowire and Ron Francis had to say he couldnt believe it. While I was on the phone he got the schematic for my car and started to go through them with me. We checked the switches for relays for the power windows and locks and seat ect. There are not many relays at all and he said the following. A 12 volt light is a 12 volt light, a switch is a switch just have to make sure what voltage they can handle.

That is what I thought also.

I think I will stick with Haywire and hopefully get the car together by MAY. I am in no rush and want to do it right, so I am going to take my time with it and do it once.

Does anyone know where I can get a MITCHELL manual for my 91 vette???
Old 04-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

Try your County MAIN library Reference Room for that manual. Not the local branch but the MAIN..

If they don't have a Miitchell (and mine does..) Ask if they can possibly outsource it for you from another library system..

The only draw back is usually they don't allow reference material out of the library...so you'll have to copy it there..bring lots of change for the copier ...

Other than that , Do a Google for a Mitchell manual for 91 Corvette, you'll probably get 100 grand hits..but I gotta tell ya..It probably won't be cheap (unless you find one on EBAY or Craigs..)

Doc
Old 04-11-2006, 04:21 PM

Last photo:

no luck

Went to the library and found no Mitchell Manual, they even did a search of the surronding Libraries in a 50 mile radius and nothing.

I went to the local bookstore WALDEN BOOKS they tried to look it up on the computer and found nothing even close.

I am searching for the manual online and cant find anything. Tried ask jeeves and google. No LUCK!!

The chilton manuals are garbage and I already have a Hanes Manual with wiring diagrams in it. DO I need the Mitchell manual. How much better is it than the Hanes manual??

Any clue where to find the manual???? How bout a web address??

Jesse
Old 04-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

Try Corvette Central..

Corvette Central

OK, I tried posting the link..It would not work from here..just type in Corvette central, It will take you to the home page, click on the Icon at the top for the generation Corvette, Then select 1991, and do the drop down on parts..Manuals, then go to the second page...

If it need not be a Mitchell manual..If you go to the bottom of the page there two sets of two Factory Service manuals for 1991 Corvette .

Shoot them an email and ask if it will cover what your needs are.

Doc

Last edited by docvette; 04-11-2006 at 05:13 PM. Reason: I Before E .. Except after a 12 pack..
Old 04-11-2006, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

bought a cd

I just bought a wiring cd off of ebay for my vette, it should come in a few days I will see how if it helps. People have said in the feedback that their is more than enpough information on the cd to help. We will see.

I will call corvette central tomorrow and see if the books will be of any help also. Thanks Jesse

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.