Hot Rod Forum banner

Power cable circuit breakers a good thing

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ntfday 
#1 ·
I am working on my wiring on a 30's Ford street rod where the battery will be mounted behind passenger seat and power cable will be run through the right frame rail. An electrical wiring book I purchased shows two 200 amp circuit breakers wired in parallel and mounted at the battery before the power cable is run through the frame. Is this a practical setup? Will these take the starter cranking amps without tripping? I am going to run a small GM gear reduction starter. I had planned to feed several circuits, including the starter off a junction block mounted near the starter. I am new at wiring, so I can use all the help I can get here. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I've seen them wired in parallel like that to run winches in off road buggies. I'd assume the starter would be fine especially as it doesn't pull the load as long as a winch does. If possible I'd try to find a slow trip breaker. That way a spike of more than 400 amps over less than a second wouldn't trip just in case

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Let me guess-could your Book possibly be one of these two?

I have my Car set up the same way (Battery in the Passenger compartment, but in a secondary Box), and it makes sense to me-I have had discussions with the Author (Tony Candela, who wrote those Books) who is a really great guy (and willing to help out us gearheads as he is one), and he states that this setup will handle up to 800 Amps (spike) at start up-

There is a lot of discussion on this subject, but he suggests that anytime you run a hot wire through a metal barrier (Firewall, Floor, etc. with a grommet of course) that it should be fused-I have done that in my Car, and i think it would be difficult to disagree with that line of thinking-

It's kind of hard to see in my picture (it was taken during the Construction phase), however I now have three 200 Amp Breakers on the far left side of my Box-two wired together and one for my rear Fuse Panel-btw, I am running a MSD gear reduction Starter-

I also have a couple of Junctions down near the Starter:

Rockford Fosgate RFD1 1/0 AWG Distribution Block

http://www.lightningaudio.com/products/photos/LA-D1_1_l.jpg

Among others-

Attachments

#4 ·
I would wire it the way that makes you the most comfortable. I'm assuming that all C3 Corvettes have the battery behind the drivers seat, I know my 76 does, and there are no fuses or circuit breakers in the main supply. The only problem I have is that it's extremely awkward to get the heavy sob in and out of the car.

#7 ·
Obviously, it all depends on your Amp draw-in my discussions with Tony, he told me he has measured up to 600 Amps (spike) on a high compression Big Block at start up, so it all depends on load-

By the way, Tony sells what he preaches (he started this Company a few Years ago): CE Auto Electric Supply - Home

I really like his Battery Cable (1/0, 4704 strands, tinned), and while I don't buy everything from him (I buy my Powerbraid through Mcmaster Carr for instance), he carries some of the best stuff-

#8 ·
I have no idea what the amp draw will be. CR will be approximately 10:1. Looks like Tony offers 200, 140, and 100 amp setups. If these are used on winches, my guess would be that it should work on a starter motor. I guess I am trying to talk myself into using the circuit breakers. Anyone else have thoughts, opinions on this? I just don't want to engineer something into the electrical system that will create more problems than it will eliminate.

#9 ·
Personally I wouldn't run it through the frame, but on the outside of the frame using Adel clamps every 8 to 12 inches or so to secure it.
Many moons ago my father in law owned a 63 Econoline van and the battery was under the seat. I moved the battery to the rear and mounted it in a marine box secured to the floor. I used 4-0 cable, wish I had used welding cable as it's more flexible, and ran the cable outside on the frame rail and up to the starter solenoid. I made the terminals out of 1/2 copper pipe. To my knowledge it's still running fine as it belongs to my late brother in law's son who lives in Nevada.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.