Power Disc Brakes vs. Brake booster - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2011, 10:31 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Power Disc Brakes vs. Brake booster

Hello fellow car enthusiasts-

I recently purchased a 1966 mustang 302, and after driving it for awhile I would like to upgrade the brakes. It has 4 drums non power, and has 4-lug axle spindles. How good is a brake booster compared to power disc brakes in the front? At this point in time the disc swap is too much$$, so Is a booster a better option?? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance-

Allclassicsbefore70

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 11:08 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

If you have a '66 Mustang with a V8 and 4 lug axles, you have more problems than you think for. It's a 6cyl conversion that wasn't fully completed. You need 5 lug spindles and a 5 lug 8" rear.. As well as being weaker varients of the parts, the brakes are sized to stop the 325lbish 6cyl, not a 500lb V8.. Once you get that sorted out, then it will have better stopping power. Use the spindles and brakes from a Granada and find a rear end from a Maverick.. Power brake boosters don't fit in a Mustang because of the shock towers. There are hydroboost conversions that will fit
Old 07-21-2011, 01:32 AM

to swap or not to swap

Ok well I'm glad you informed me of all these differences-thanks, because that could be why the cost is so high to do a conversion but I think I might want to throw some type of booster on it because it needs some more stopping power. What would you purchase first- headrests for the bucket seats & 3point seat belts OR a hydra booster? Im thinking headrests etc...
Old 07-21-2011, 01:42 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Get the brakes and axle correct first. Then if you can push the pedal and lock the brakes, you won't need a booster. only if you struggle to push the pedal, would you need a booster, as the booster effects pedal effort, not braking output.. As far as headrests and seat belts. These cars are an inherant risk to drive, nothing changes that, and an improperly mounted set of 3pt belts can kill you. As far as headrests, you would need to change the seats. You could go up a few years to '69-'70 and those seats I'm pretty sure fit, and are highbacks/ will 'fit' the interior design.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:59 AM

cool thanks,

so i am trying to choose between a 9" and an 8" i think a nine inch would be better but it may be harder to find. I do want the rear axle to be able to handle a decent amount of power though later down the road if I build the engine up. what are your thoughts on 8 vs 9?
Old 09-24-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
If you have a '66 Mustang with a V8 and 4 lug axles, you have more problems than you think for. It's a 6cyl conversion that wasn't fully completed. You need 5 lug spindles and a 5 lug 8" rear.. As well as being weaker varients of the parts, the brakes are sized to stop the 325lbish 6cyl, not a 500lb V8.. Once you get that sorted out, then it will have better stopping power. Use the spindles and brakes from a Granada and find a rear end from a Maverick.. Power brake boosters don't fit in a Mustang because of the shock towers. There are hydroboost conversions that will fit
ok that makes sense, so is a 1974 granada going to work? thanks for your help

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.