power door locks - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007, 04:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

power door locks

I would like to put power locks in my 85 F150 as inexpensively as possible
Does any one know how the wiring from switch to lock to unlock works?
I had planned to visit the local bone yard and scavenge some locks and switches but some switches I've looked at have 5 and 6 wires running from them ?????Or am i stuck replacing the interior harness or buying a aftermarket
kit ....I would appreciate any help thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2007, 07:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

The switches for a door lock system are just simple reverser switches. Double pole, Double throw, Double row Switches..(Lock/Off/unlock)

If you look at the diagram, it shows the power and ground is reversed at the switch depending on the state of the switch one way opens the lock (power) the middle position (is off) the other position (ground) closes the lock.

To be honest, I'd get a kit, for one main reason, from a bone yard the Solenoids and Switches most likely won't have a long life..The fail regularly in optimum Conditions because of the abuse they must endure (water from the window gaskets leaking, Condensation, your coffee spilled on the switches) AND who knows what bone yard stuff went through in previous life..

A Kit is Cheap enough, under about $200 Fazools, IS NEW, and Made to fit your Car With INSTRUCTIONS! and will probably last a lot longer than a Cobbled up system of bone yard parts.modified to "Almost" work with your car..

Doc
Old 04-28-2007, 09:40 AM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

These folks make a good remote door lock system.
www.autoloc.com

vicrod
Old 04-28-2007, 10:29 AM

Last photo:

When I did my Galaxie, I bought actuators and relays off Ebay, and wired it through a Bulldog alarm system for remote door locks. I think the actuators were under $10 each and the relays with wire whips were about $10 for a pair. Then all you need is a switch or 2, which I am guessing you can probably get on ebay also.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:38 PM

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

With an 82-6 F-Series truck you are in luck. A junkyard swap is THE way to go.
Find your donor truck or similar year Bronco and remove both door harnesses. No such thing as power locks without power windows but you don't have to install them to get locks. The main harness runs under the top dash pad you only have to remove the pad to feed /wiggle it out. The wires clip into the back of the fusebox. You need a tiny screwdriver ot something like an icepick. You can get these wires to release and they will clip right into the back of your fusebox. Don't forget to grab the relays power windows and locks use instead of fuses.
The door lock motors are annoyingly riveted into the door shell with a big aluminum rivet. You'll need to drill or chisel it off. You'll likely have to take the latch loose to get the motor to unhook from it. Your door latch should have the appropriate hole for it to attach to. Also a hole where the lock motor will be riveted.
The whole deal is almost plug and play. You don't have to figure out wiring, just connect it up. When you get done, the only thing keeping you from having power windows too is getting the regulators with the motors and the switches. The only reason I added power windows is because I can't reach across the truck to operate the passenger window. Something to consider. If you don't want them I would just tie the door harnesses out of the way and leave them. You might change your mind later.
Some folks cut their door panels. I was lucky enough to score a pair of panels the correct color for my swap.
The whole setup is almost plug and play.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.