Hot Rod Forum banner

Power Glide

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  JeffB 
#1 ·
Hi folks,
A few questions regarding Powerglides (1.76), if you don’t mind…some back ground on my car:
72 stock bodied Vega, SBC 350, headers, holly 600, Comp Cam 268H, Edelbrock Performer intake, stock converter. Right now I have 4:56 gears but plan to go to a 3:73 for a better streetability. This car is a street-strip car…mostly for strip.

-Can I use my same torque converter on the Power Glide?
-Does anybody know of any well produced video’s out there showing how to rebuild the Power Glides? If not, anybody know of some good transmission guys in the Tampa area?
-Any recommendations on the rebuild kit?
-If I did the swap, would that be a direct bolt-in?

Thanks,

jmbjs

#2 ·
jmbjs said:
Hi folks,
A few questions regarding Powerglides (1.76), if you don’t mind…some back ground on my car:
72 stock bodied Vega, SBC 350, headers, holly 600, Comp Cam 268H, Edelbrock Performer intake, stock converter. Right now I have 4:56 gears but plan to go to a 3:73 for a better streetability. This car is a street-strip car…mostly for strip.

-Can I use my same torque converter on the Power Glide?
-Does anybody know of any well produced video’s out there showing how to rebuild the Power Glides? If not, anybody know of some good transmission guys in the Tampa area?
-Any recommendations on the rebuild kit?
-If I did the swap, would that be a direct bolt-in?

Thanks,

jmbjs

Is there a power glide in the car now?

Does the glide have the OE input shaft or turbo spline?

:confused:

#3 ·
Sir,

The glide is not in the car, and I believe it has the OE shaft. I say that because the guy I got it from said it was a stock tranny...Can you tell me the difference and I will be able check/measure tomorrow...

thanks for your reply...

jmbjs

#4 ·
OK........ the glide input shaft (OEM) is different from a turbo spline ( t-350 / 400) tranny.

I do not see a list of the tranny currently in the car.

The swap..... what swap?

#6 ·
jmbjs said:
Sorry, I could have written that better...The swap I was reffering to was swaping out the T350 and putting in the Power glide...

thanks,
jmbjs

OK........ next item on the list is;

the glide shifter is NOT like the t-350 , so that needs dealt with. Glide does not bolt on as a t-350 / 400 tranny

Depending on year of the glide , there can be differences in output shaft spline count, tail housings were shorter in early glide days.

So a "bolt in" is not really a word to use directly , but the glide can be made to bolt in.

IF you are hoping for a bolt in of a stock glide tranny and then go drag racing ....... you may not be happy

#7 ·
Crosely,
Maybe I should put this on a bench in the corner of the garage, for now, and use it as a learning lab...I do have the T350 in the Vega, that works fine...I have the engine out for a rebuild right now, and remembered that old Power Glide I have in the storage room. I could use it to learn about transmissions, then maybe mate it to a future strip only car...I do appreciate your input here!

Jmbjs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.