power to the ground - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2003, 08:29 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

power to the ground

ive been asking around alot on this topic.im definatly going to get a posi-limited slip diff.but still my tires would still spin.ive gotten answers like adding more weight to the back but weight cost power plus they used to strip the older cars to ''rails''and still plant em.also some said softer shocks?but how do you factor in the weight of your vehicle ,to balence your thrust and recoil.I have a 1970 F-100 Custom longbed.and im sure its hard to plant the tires with a long wheel base.any tips or other ideas would be great.Thanks

Blag

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2003, 11:15 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

What kind of suspension is in the rear of the F100? I would look into making the whole chassis stiffer, maybe boxing in the frame. It's a lot of work, but making a truck hook-up isn't an easy task. There are suspension upgrades, but need to know what you got in there first. The shock idea is good, you want some that let the front go up and back squat down easily. Some springs in the front that "push" up upon acceleration help out as well, you can find them in Summit.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:01 PM

stock rear leaf springs i just plan on putting on a set on lowering leaf springs for the future reference.where would i box the frame?thanks for the response.

Blag
Old 10-30-2003, 05:45 AM

Last photo:

hey Blag, I am bo no means a drag racer but I do have a similiar problem in not being able to get the power down. Besides stiffening the frame, I think the answer just may be shocks. Thats what i'm gonna try.

I was watching tv the other day and they were talking about a good drag race set up. They said use 50/50 shocks in the rear and 90/10 on the front.

My 67 camaro is set up with air shocks in the back and i think that is the prob. In first gear I only can spin and can actually do a great burn out in 2nd gear as well.... just too stiff i think. Maybe some experienced drag racers can chime in on this theory.

thx
Old 10-30-2003, 08:34 PM
Lover of Classics and Customs

i would highly recommend ditching the leaf springs and going with ladder bar or 4link suspension. muuuuch better traction will be had. us e a lower spring rate, so that the rear will no tbe so stiff. also , try to lighten up your front end too. move the battery to the back, etc... trucks are obviously front heavy so you want a more even weight distribution.

also, run a 10" wide wheel if possible or even a 12". gotta have the meat to grip the ground. there are many other items to do as well, but this should get you going.....

good luck!
Old 11-01-2003, 09:57 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

You can try the Cal-Tracs traction bars. I've seen a Nova pull a 2 foot wheelie with their set up. There's a thread on how to make your own on the board that has some real good instructions and diagrams. It's a lot cheaper than going to coil overs, and may get you enought traction to make you happy. The shocks are a great idea. Are you having a prob with wheel hop? I bet you are, and curing that will help out tons!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.