the power just stopped - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2005, 07:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

the power just stopped

My name is C.J. and i have a 92 Camaro. My problem is soon after i bought the car, just about all of my power options stopped. my mirrors, locks, and hatch, and dome light all went at once. my windows still work though. I checked all the fuses by my pedals and they were all ok. what could the problem be? Is there another fuse box somewhere? someone please help, this is very annoying.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2005, 07:39 PM

Last photo:

Did anything recently change before the power problem? Stereo install, guage install, etc.? It sounds like you lost a power or ground wire, but hard to diagnose... do you have a manual (wiring diagram) for your car? Obviously this would help you alot, but you could start with the easiest, dome light, get a voltmeter and see if you have power, if so, ground it and see if you got light. trying to give my 2 cents but if a screw turns or an area rusts, etc. you could easily lose a hot or ground without blowin' the fuse...
Old 08-05-2005, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

fusible link

a lot cars have fusible links at the main connection on the starter. they are thin wire connected to larger wire with a plastic connector joining them together. some are on the back of the alternator. usually there are at least two to these type of connectors. you can tell if they are burnt by pulling on gently, they will come apart if burnt. you can repair these connectors by replacing the piece with 14 gage wire, or see your napa auto parts for fusibe link wire. this type of wire cannot be soldered. you will have to use butt connectors. hope you find your problem.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:39 PM

are burnt wires just something that happens with time, or is there a cause behind it?
Old 08-05-2005, 09:49 PM

Last photo:

fusible link

usually the links will burn over time, but are caused by a positive wire getting grounded or pinched or just touched to ground, a loose connection can cause the wire to get hot and brittle over time. there are just to many variables. did you find any links burnt.check your engine to body ground and your battery ground to chassis.any poor connection can cause problems.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:53 PM

no i havnt checked yet. the light under my hood isnt working either! lol! where would those two connections be?
Old 08-05-2005, 10:00 PM

Last photo:

hood light

the body of the light is usually fasten to ground and a single wire is connected to an orange wire. the orange wire is hot all the time and is part of the accessory system which include dome light, glove box light,cigar lighter.trunk release if is electric all of these are on the same circuit. if the hood light has two wires one will be ground.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:07 PM

so i just follow the wires from the hood light and check the connections? that sounds simple enough.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:07 PM

Last photo:

wiring diagrams

you can find wiring diagrams on auto zone web sight. on the left side of the screen at the top click currant veh. fill in information then click repair information on the left side. find wiring diagrams and click to find what you might need, just a helpful hint
Old 08-05-2005, 10:13 PM

Last photo:

wiring

you need to restore the power to the sysem, and get things working, yes you can trace the wires, usually the connections are close by the light.if these wires were pinched it would blow a fuse before it would damage the wiring, such as burning. talk tomorrow getting late
Old 08-05-2005, 10:14 PM

thanks alot. hopefully i can get this done tomorrow so i can actually see in my car! its so annoying having to crawl in through the back seat because my trunk release wont work.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Fuse links

Doc here,

Check and replace the fuse links at or near the starter main power solenoid Bolt. You'll find one or more of the wires have melted off The grid point.

That being the Case, Obtain and Replace with a PROPER fuse link...from the auto parts store.

DO NOT try and jumper it..It opened for a reason..as it is required to do..jumpering it will defeat the protection, and just heat and cause a fire.

Doc
Old 08-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Burned wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57heaven
are burnt wires just something that happens with time, or is there a cause behind it?

Doc here,

Wires will become slightly discolored and very brittle over time, especially near headers or exhaust systems. and oil / fuel soaked.

Plastic and insulation will usually not tolerate any flexibility when they are in this state, If you bend it, the insulation usually shatters and falls off, leaving a bare wire in it's place. A good clue this is transpiring is the taped harness tape is sliding off the bundle and resembles goo when warm.

A Charred Black wire with "bubbly" ends usually is indicative of a problem, short, or over-current in that circuit..and requires attention to be safe. Troubleshoot it.

ANY wire Suspect should be replaced in my opinion...in a heated area, a good grade Teflon wire is a good choice. Be sure the wire gauge is correct for the current (no pun intended) circuit (which may have changed over the life of the car..aftermarket add~ons like fog lamps, big audio systems, etc..) Check the draw on that wire and gauge it, and fuse it accordingly.

Doc
Old 08-07-2005, 08:06 AM

Last photo:

GM will put connection points in the wiring harness. You cant even tell they are there. If you have a good wiring diagram(from an actual service manual) you can see what works and what doesnt and see where the bad connection point is. I had one on and 86 and after studying the manual it told me the point was in the harness 3 inches from the ash tray. I cut it open and there was the green corroded connection. It would have been almost impossible to find with out the service manual.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:22 PM

where can i get a service manual?

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.