Power or manual brakes? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Newbie 37

Last journal entry: Three months since started
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Power or manual brakes?

Just started a 1937 chevy coupe pro street projectthat another owner started but couldnt finish.he install a manual brake master and i was wondering if there is an advantage to manual or should i go power? Fisrt time i have built a car from scratch

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Manual brakes will stop the car, manual drums will stop the car in no particular direction if wet or not properly adjusted, manual discs will usually stop straight, but require more force from the driver than power brakes to stop. I guess it is a preference thing, but I would go with power discs if budget will allow it. JMO

Kelly
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinacustoms For This Useful Post:
Newbie37 (08-03-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 12:29 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacustoms View Post
Manual brakes will stop the car, manual drums will stop the car in no particular direction if wet or not properly adjusted, manual discs will usually stop straight, but require more force from the driver than power brakes to stop. I guess it is a preference thing, but I would go with power discs if budget will allow it. JMO

Kelly
A properly designed manual disc system stops just fine. I've got factory manual discs in my 1970 W-30 and I've never felt the need for power. The M/C uses a smaller bore and the pedal ratio is different, so the brake force at the pedal is no more than needed for a power system. Only the pedal travel is longer, which is no big deal if you are used to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to joe_padavano For This Useful Post:
Newbie37 (08-04-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
A properly designed manual disc system stops just fine. I've got factory manual discs in my 1970 W-30 and I've never felt the need for power. The M/C uses a smaller bore and the pedal ratio is different, so the brake force at the pedal is no more than needed for a power system. Only the pedal travel is longer, which is no big deal if you are used to it.

True enough, I guess more travel in the pedal instead of more force is a better wording/explaination. I have gotten spoiled by the power systems, but like I said theres nothing wrong with a manual system.

Kelly
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinacustoms For This Useful Post:
Newbie37 (08-04-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 01:29 PM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:

Another thing that should be mentioned about power brakes is what kind of vacuum does the engine deliver? I'm not 100% sure off the top of my head but I believe that you should have at least 14 inches of vacuum for them to operate correctly. Some people use a vacuum canister for an engine that is borderline.

If that is an issue there are also companies that offer GM's hydraboost assist that work really well. It runs off from the power steering pump. You usually only get a couple of pumps from these systems if the engine dies and then the pedal is very hard to push to get any braking. Probably similar to a vacuum system.
The Following User Says Thank You to 64SS327 For This Useful Post:
Newbie37 (08-04-2013)

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.