Power! -- No power? -- Power!!!! No Power???! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2005, 04:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Power! -- No power? -- Power!!!! No Power???!

Exactly what the title says...

Sometimes whilst driving my fine automobile..... - 1985 Monte Carlo with a 1975 Chevy 350 and 1975 THM-350...

Well..... I just changed the heads on it and did a bunch of things I never did like I should have, like new header gaskets, collector gaskets, new oil stick, etc.. bunch of stuff

I believe the timing is off just a tad bit, but I'll sort that in time.

When flooring it, sometimes the secondaries open, and sometimes they don't.... and this puzzles me!

For the last 8 months or so, they always came right on.... -- I've had the car for 3 years.. and to be honest, except for the last 8 months.. they've always been weird.. Sometimes they kick in, others they don't... it's like... a random thing that I just don't understand! Currently, the engine revs high, but not high enough to kick the secondaries open on the carb.... and I'll bet you anything in 2 days it'll work again, and then stop working in a week for a day or 2.....

95% of the time the trans is kicking into 2nd (I know coz I'll throw it there myself just to make sure the kick-down is working)... but... argh!!! my passing power is gone at the moment.. I feel like the carb has a sign on it saying "Out to Lunch back in 2 days"

Any ideas?

All are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2005, 09:54 PM

Last photo:

I'm imagining this is puzzling you lot just a much as it does me?
Old 05-14-2005, 10:15 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

What kind of carb.?
Old 05-14-2005, 11:05 PM

Last photo:

1985 Rochester QuadraJet w/ Electric Choke
Old 05-15-2005, 07:03 PM

Last photo:

bump bump bump
Old 05-15-2005, 07:06 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Have you checked for vacuum leaks.?.....your air valve on your secondaries runs off vacuum as does your modulator valve on the tranny.....just a thought.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:09 PM

Last photo:

I did have a major leak out of the EGR..... which I have since fixed, other than that, I don't honestly believe there are any leaks.

If anything, all incoming and outgoing air is accounted for now.. with the new gaskets on everything and all.... i just don't get it <grin>
Old 05-15-2005, 07:41 PM

If thats a vaccum Secondary carb check your vaccum Diaphram that could cause it, you might have a small rupture in the diaphram... Uhh Also sounds that maby your car isent getting loaded anymore too in a way..... Vaccum Secondary carbs operate when the engine is under load...

I dunno much about Q-Jet carbs, I've seen some and held some but never opened one up... I've mainly done Smaller Rochester 2 barrels, Holley and Edelbrock 4 barrels (Still working on my Holley 650 Vac. Secondary)
I also noticed how you worded the Title "Power! -- No power? -- Power!!!! No Power???!" Is your accelerator Pump working perfectly?

Well check on those two things and hopefully that helps man

I'll keep thinking about it and if I come up with anything else I'll post
Old 05-15-2005, 07:52 PM

Check the timing again lol Just tought about it and There is a chance that off timing could possibly cause it...
Old 05-16-2005, 03:02 AM

i'd check the vaccum first for leaks or simply go to the parts store and take a piece of vaccum hose off and in with you and get enough to replace all or most of it.the second thing is that quadrajets have whats called an eccentric cam on it right between the two back barrels on top of the carb.its kinda oval shaped so as it rotates around it gets higher on one side and opens your back barrels.had it happen to me in an SS/RS 68 camaro 396/375.its hell not to be able to open the back barrels on a car like that.you can go to the junk yd.and probably find one.you can go to chevy high performance and super chevy magazines on line and find many quadrajet rebuild stories to help you with it.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:30 PM

Last photo:

Would you guys believe its working perfectly so far all day today?
I really don't get it, lol..

I'll check over my vacuum lines again in a few days.... --After adjusting those valves on the engine... it left me a nice mess, so when I clean everything up, I'll check that out.

What I meant by power---no power -- wasn't.... anything with the accelration--- it accels smooth from bottom to top... just doesnt always get that "load on"... perhaps humidity? I hear that can effect things like this and might account for it workin durin the winter and not so much in the summer?

its just passing power that i sometimes loose, or... as I use it.... flying power =P

as for a new carb.... i was considering getting the carb re-built.. found a place that only wants $155 for it..... they re-chromate it and everything..
http://www.carburetorusa.com/

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.