Hot Rod Forum banner

power opening truck bed cover?

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  D M N 
#1 ·
i have been thinking about constructing a bed cover out of aluminum. What i think would be really cool would be if I could have it open at the push of a button. I will probably need some linear actuators. Where can I get these or are there some cheaper alternatives? What about those new minivans with the power opening rear hatches?
any ideas would be great
thanks
Jim

#3 ·
Iv been \/\/anting to do the $ame thing \/\/ith my ford pinto getting $ome linear actuator$ to lift up the hood. I \/\/a$ even thinkin of an alternitave like u$ing po\/\/er \/\/indo\/\/ motor$ to lift the hood or air cylinder$. There$ many alternative$ and different thing$ you can u$e ju$t gotta think and look a little. Anyone el$e have any idea$ plea$e po$t up. Here$ the link for the air cylinder$ or \/\/hatever u \/\/anna call em.
\/\/ \/\/ \/\/.bimba.com $orry keyboard got $tuff $pilt in it

#7 ·
ChrisMiddleron said:
Can you describe the type of bed cover you have in mind im lookin for ideas to. www.bamba.com
http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/power_stuff.html
^-sells tonneau lift thingyz
for actuators you can look on ebay or jus about anywhere
well i have an 89 chevy truck that I am building with hot rod styling and also a 51 chevy pickup that I would like to build one for. I plan to make a frame out of 1" box tubing and then lay some sheet aluminum over it. Thats the basic idea. I may end up sticking some styrofoam under it for a little more support also. Im gunna have to brace it around the mounting points and hinges also. I just need to figure out how where to get some inexpensive actuators or air cylinders

#8 ·
You could use a set of Hood actuators off of a late model car. I believe they are a gas charged cylinder of sorts. I had a friend with a truck set up this way. It had an actuator on each side of the bed, and a push button latch at the rear of the cover. Push the button, and the cover would slowly raise up. You can find those little actuators at most parts stores.

Chris

#9 ·
i would definitely go the way turbo S10 is thinking - gas rams... these are the small-diameter, shock-absorber-looking things that often hold up hatchbacks and hoods. when compressed, they store a bunch of potential energy, so that when the latch is released they would push the cover up (assuming it wasn't too heavy and you played with the angles a bit).

you *could* use linear actuators or even pnuematic ones but really would you want to go to the trouble? a whole bunch of wiring to contend with, they aren't small, and they AREN'T cheap! the only benefit they'd have over gas rams is that you could make the cover go DOWN again at the push of a button.

that's pretty unnecessary i reckon, but to each his own.

#11 ·
power opening bed coverI make a

I build and install a reverse opening hood kit for the '53 - '56 Ford F-100 p.u. These things are not the lightest thing in the world - but I'm sure your aluminum cover will be considerably lighter. I use a unit I buy from a parts store and it works fine with proper adjustments. The unit is a gas strut from Carquest. Item no. Strongarm no. 4800; cost is approx. $26 - 27.00 each. I use 1 unit on the hood. Also pick up carb linkage ball studs to mount the unit as they normally don't come with mounting hardware. To figure mounting areas - install your lid - get in the bed and pull the lid down - make measurements - check strut length (open and closed) verify that strut is within all limits and install. Write these measurements down so that when your friends see your lid and want one - you can build and install it like a pro.
Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.