power rack and pinnion? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 03:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I see you also posted a link,It wouldn't trust that slip joint in that application. It not designed for constant movement as that is a crash style slip joint for a steering column. There is a reason this is not a wide spread practice. I don't see how this can be safe. Tim

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 08:14 PM

Last journal entry: Motor build up 2
Last photo:

well it seems i caused a little dispute so let me ask another question on the same subject. Would the no limit kit be a good investment to do the job im looking for?
Old 03-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49fordp/u
well it seems i caused a little dispute so let me ask another question on the same subject. Would the no limit kit be a good investment to do the job im looking for?
You didn't cause it,This guy has had a problem with me on everything I post about Suspension.But that's a whole different story,As far as what you are asking,I can't open the site you posted.to let you know what I think.. The link isn't working.

And sorry for the trouble on your thread.I just see it as being unsafe,But that's just what I see...
Old 03-25-2009, 08:55 PM

Last photo:

Try that link if not its at nolimit.net under power steering. then in straight axle. A little pricey but it looks like a good set up

http://nolimit.net/prodinfo.asp?number=PS%2DSA%2D
Old 03-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Try that link if not its at nolimit.net under power steering. then in straight axle. A little pricey but it looks like a good set up

http://nolimit.net/prodinfo.asp?number=PS%2DSA%2D

It look's to be the same set up he posted,Again I don't like the idea of the slip joint.But if someone is selling it,I guess it's up to you,I don't want to be the one to tell you to do it,Sorry.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:02 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Try that link if not its at nolimit.net under power steering. then in straight axle. A little pricey but it looks like a good set up]
Yes, that looks like a good set-up, and yes I have driven a car with a similar installation. It was a Model A lowboy roadster that has seen many trips from Washington State to Bonneville and back...

To address some of the issues that have come up...
Here is a link to the Superbell axle website, probably the largest manufacturer of drop axles. You will notice they sell fully drilled steel and aluminum axles. Drilling a couple of mounting holes as long as they are not on the bends will be just fine.

http://www.rjays.com/Superbell/SB_front_axles.htm

As to the slip joint issue. The unit they use is a factory lubricated and sealed unit. With construction not unlike the slip joint on the drive line of every modern rear wheel drive car on the planet. It will last just fine. It is NOT a "crush sleeve" like a steering column. Just for the record, the portion of the column that accordions like was described is on the outer tube of the column, not the shaft. The shafts, in most cases,have plastic pins installed that shear on impact and allow the shaft to collapse independent of the column tube.

To the point of axle movement with a slip joint. The slip joint is mounted between the upper and lower u-joints on the steering linkage. It will be free to move regardless of the position of the axle in normal travel. If the axle is moving sideways in relation to the truck, as lets cut it up states, I would say you have a serious problem, like the front end is coming out of your truck because your springs broke.

Lastly, as to the spirited debate on this thread, isn't that what this site and others like it are for? If someone has an opinion and it is questioned, shouldn't an explanation be in order so the OP can make an educated decision on what to do? My apologies to folks that have gotten their feathers ruffled, and yes, I admit this is an unconventional steering system we are talking about. But with proper planning and installation, it can yield a satisfactory result. Keep in mind 49fordp/u that the rest of the front end, king pins, etc, need to be brought up to par also.

Regards,
Andy
Old 03-26-2009, 05:11 AM

Last photo:

looking at the site nolimt has instructions and it looks like the kit has everything i need to do the package and eveything looks pretty common to me. As for redoing the front end i have king pins that need to be replaced as is and have the parts just waiting to get the truck in a better place to move it to a shop to have the work done. Thanks for all the help and thoughts

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.