power rack and pinnion? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2009, 04:06 PM

Last journal entry: Motor build up 2
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

power rack and pinnion?

Hey everyone did a search and didn't find what i was looking for so here i am. I have a 1949 ford f-1 pickup and have decided i want to keep my straight axle but would like to add a power rack and pinion to the straight axle. First question is, is this possible and if so how do i go about installing/ mounting it to the straight axle?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49fordp/u
Hey everyone did a search and didn't find what i was looking for so here i am. I have a 1949 ford f-1 pickup and have decided i want to keep my straight axle but would like to add a power rack and pinion to the straight axle. First question is, is this possible and if so how do i go about installing/ mounting it to the straight axle?

I really don't think it will work,And don't think I would try to make it work. Maybe someone here might have tried it, and it worked,But I don't think so. I have never seen it done.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:19 PM

Last photo:

any way to make it power stering with out putting an ifs system in
Old 03-23-2009, 05:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49fordp/u
any way to make it power stering with out putting an ifs system in
I really don't think so,But I'm not 100% sure.

Why wouldn't you want to go to IFS. Man I had a 48 Chevy that I put a clip under,That thing drove so much better,Disc brake's,and power steering,Night and day difference...
Old 03-23-2009, 05:49 PM

Last photo:

well at the moment to go to the ifs i would have to redo my motor mount. If i had the money to put the ifs in and redo everything i would but i feel it would be a step backwards at this point and time. i have disc brakes installed and thought a nice power steering set up would be great plus i need to redo all the steering to make room for my headers.

http://nolimit.net/prodinfo.asp?number=PS%2DSA%2D

this is a kit i found but this is another kit that i found that i could use instead

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mustang-II-Rack-and-Pinion,2112.html
Old 03-24-2009, 11:59 AM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

What you are proposing has been done with good success. Mounting the rack to the axle is fairly straight-forward. Measure the amount of steering arm travel you currently have or would like to have, and the overall length and select a power rack that will get you there. Some racks (like Mustang II) only need two holes drilled into the axle and the unit will bolt on. Other styles can be installed with simple to fab mounting plates. Use your imagination. Bump steer is not an issue because the rack moves with the suspension. Which brings me to the tricky part. You must install a slip joint into the steering linkage to allow suspension movement. A small driveshaft slip joint for a two piece driveline works well. Go to a driveline shop or a heavy truck parts store and see what they have. Make sure whatever slip joint you install has enough travel so it cannot slide apart at full droop of the front end. Once you have got that far, connect the rack to a P/S pump and you are home free.

A bit of work, yes, but it should be able to be done relatively cheap.

Andy
Old 03-24-2009, 12:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosborn
What you are proposing has been done with good success. Mounting the rack to the axle is fairly straight-forward. Measure the amount of steering arm travel you currently have or would like to have, and the overall length and select a power rack that will get you there. Some racks (like Mustang II) only need two holes drilled into the axle and the unit will bolt on. Other styles can be installed with simple to fab mounting plates. Use your imagination. Bump steer is not an issue because the rack moves with the suspension. Which brings me to the tricky part. You must install a slip joint into the steering linkage to allow suspension movement. A small driveshaft slip joint for a two piece driveline works well. Go to a driveline shop or a heavy truck parts store and see what they have. Make sure whatever slip joint you install has enough travel so it cannot slide apart at full droop of the front end. Once you have got that far, connect the rack to a P/S pump and you are home free.

Andy

Sure would love to see some picture's of it done then,Sure seem's to me it would put the steering shaft in a bind.I know you said a slip joint,But It would be on the wrong angle to work right.Well all I can say,Is if he does this to his truck,Good luck.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:00 PM

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:

This may not be power steering but the owner says steering is easy and it seemed to me when he allowed me to try it at a stand still. He had a 38 Willys PU with a big cast iron block hemi. He took a Unisteer from Maval. They are designed to replace a cross steer vega box. He shortened the rod and mounted it length wise along his frame so that it would push and pull on the steering arm. I have been thinking of copying this design and have also wondered if a power steer rack would do the same thing by cutting one side off. Just not sure if a power steering rack is a 2-way action.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:04 PM

Last photo:

ok so its possiable just have to get the linkage to work from what it sounds like.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
I really don't think it will work,And don't think I would try to make it work. Maybe someone here might have tried it, and it worked,But I don't think so. I have never seen it done.
Doesn't it say under your name to "Set no limits on yourself"

Check out this article, it should answer alot of questions...

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...ing/index.html

Last edited by aosborn; 03-24-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Doesn't it say under your name to "Set no limits on yourself"
You are right !!! I set ''NO'' Limit's on myself, I'm sure I have proved that enough here.. But I do draw a line on safety..You seem to follow me around a lot I see,And enjoy bumping heads with me. Well I did say I didn't see it done before..And I do stand behind not telling anyone to do it.Sorry I just don't think it's a good idea.. And if he want's to do it,That's him,Like I have said before, good luck. I'm done here..

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 03-25-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
But I do draw a line on safety..You seem to follow me around a lot I see,And enjoy bumping heads with me.
Maybe you would explain to us what is unsafe about this setup?

By the way, the only folks I follow are the ones about to go another lap down...
Old 03-25-2009, 03:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Maybe you would explain to us what is unsafe about this setup?

By the way, the only folks I follow are the ones about to go another lap down...
Well first off,A slip joint was not designed to move in and out all day long,It was designed to collapse on impact only.

And as far as this goes,Well let's just say you aren't worth answering,I'm done talking with you,I'm sure I will see you around,Since you like to try in stick your foot in my mouth every time I open it. And you can respond to this if you want,I'm sure you will !!!! Like I say before I'm done playing your little game.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

Andy
Andy ,I am sorry but that is the silliest thing I have ever heard. Are you trying to get this poor fellow killed? Mount the rack on the beam axle? slip joint? Also drilling a beam axle is very tricky so as not to cause a week spot as it takes a beating. Wow I thought I heard it all but damn! Anybody plz speak up if I am wrong but my gut and experience says otherwise.

Oh by the way a slip joint only works in a straight line back and forth. What happens if he goes in a ditch and the axle goes at a angle? Also I dont think you can find a rack with the steering shaft that is coming out if it straight,most are at an angle. I want to see pick of this if it has been done. Tim
Old 03-25-2009, 04:23 PM

Last photo:

And if I was to do this,I would think that a Cross steer rack and pinion would be the best way to make this work.Not a rack mounted to the axle.Sorry.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.