Power or RPM, what stresses a block more? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2005, 06:50 PM
The lean mean donut machine

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Power or RPM, what stresses a block more?

I've always wanted to know what is considered the upper limit of what a block will handle as far as output, total power or highest RPM? What I mean to ask by this is, will a block be more stressed with an engine producing 400HP at 8000 RPM, or one producing 700HP at 5500 RPM, assuming they are equal blocks and displacements, and the rotating assembly is strong enough? I realize RPM seems to be the more widely accepted factor for destroying blocks due to the huge loads on the rotating assembly, but what about the enormous twisting force on the block during a high horsepower grunt?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2005, 06:55 PM

I'm guessing that as long as the rotating assemblies are "perfectly balanced" and the harmonic damper is of highest quality that the 700hp at 5500 would be more stressful on the block itself. I just figure the higher cylinder pressures are what would cause a complete block failure. Crank walk could be a problem at extreme rpm I'd guess, but have no experience with an engine making 400hp at either 5500 or 8000.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:10 PM

Last photo:

Extreme rpm will destroy a block when a rod lets go and saws a hole, or the crank breaks, or a piston skirt breaks, a valvespring/valve/retainer breaks.....starting to see a pattern?

400@8000 won't put nearly as much stress on the block as 700@5500, it will stress parts that move.

The cylinder pressure/torque needed to make 700HP at that RPM puts an incredible amount of stress on everything, including the block. It basically tries to shove the crank out of the block.

Horsepower is a mathematical product of torque and RPM. Less torque and more rpm = horsepower with less cylinder pressure pushing down on the piston. So the the block, which doesn't move, sees a lot less stress.

For example, a 200hp diesel and a 200hp 4 banger. The 4 banger might make 200hp at 7000rpm, and it only needs 150ftlb of torque to do it. The diesel makes 200hp at 2000 rpm so it might have to make 400ftlb of torque to do it.

That's one of the reasons that diesel parts are extremely large, strong and heavy compared to the little 4 banger parts.

I hope this helps you a bit.

Larry

Last edited by coldknock; 09-11-2005 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

It's rarely a block that fails.................its the moving parts that force their way through it.

Budget RVs
Old 09-11-2005, 08:56 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

In a well balanced rotating assembly the crankshaft is doing nothing more than spinning on an axis and as long as you have good lubrication it could do that all day long.

That being said...I would think high horsepower would be more of a factor.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:16 PM
The lean mean donut machine

Last photo:

Yes, this helps me a lot...

Maybe I won't worry so much about my block coming apart from simply revving a good rotating assembly.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.