Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Electrical (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/electrical/)
-   -   Power Seat relay (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/power-seat-relay-141526.html)

hduff 07-06-2008 02:16 PM

Power Seat relay

I'm re-wiring a car that uses Olds Calais seats, the drivers seat being power. The existing hacked-up factory harness uses a power relay wired so that the accessory switch must be on before power is applied to the seat motors. I suppose that the GM engineers don't want their drivers to move the seats when the car is not running. The relay does not keep heavy current from running through the switches, just keeps the seats un-powered until the key is turned to the ACCESSORY position.

I see this as an unnecessary complication in a street rod and plan to do away with it unless wiser minds than mine on HRB believe that misfortune will befall me if I wire the seats like I have every other car I've built, i.e. with a 30 amp fuse powering the seats all the time.

Other than pissing off GM engineers, am I thinking wrong?

Thanks,\
Hoyt

58Apache 07-06-2008 09:14 PM

Are you Sure?

Are you sure that one single 30amp will power everything in that seat and not be over or under fused?

I put in buckets out of a Lexus and the wiring diagram calls for 3 different fuse sizes for 3 different circuits in the seat!

Suggest you get the wiring diagram for the Olds to be sure of what you are wiring.

Steve

302 Z28 07-06-2008 09:55 PM

The one realy probably only allows the control circuit (relay coil) of the actual controlling relays (load carrying) to be energized.

This is a very good resource and merits posting again.

Vince

hduff 07-07-2008 10:19 PM

Vince -- thanks for the link. Very nice!

Steve -- The GM schematic shows the entire circuit fused with only a single 30 amp fuse. The relay just interrupts power to the circuit until you turn on the ACC switch or have the car running. Plus, it's just the one seat. Other than making the seat un-powered unless you turn the ignition switch, I can't see any usefulness for it, but I thought I'd ask.

I have Caddy Catera bucket seats in my coupe (actually made by Recaro -- 6-way, heated,leather and about $200 each -- very nice), both power. Even though GM used a single 30-amp fuse for both, I wired separate circuits and separate fuses for each seat. The drivers seat has a computer control that requires a gray wire to connect to the door switch and be grounded (door closed) before the seat will move - I just grounded it. GM engineers must be inundated with memos from their legal dept. about litigious customers who ADJUST THE SEAT WITH THE DOOR OPEN AND THE CAR NOT RUNNING!!!! Heaven forbid such things occur!!!

--
Hoyt