Power Seat Switch Mounting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Sacred Steel

Last journal entry: The dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Power Seat Switch Mounting

I scored a real nice set of leather buckets at the junk yard today for my T-Bird. The switch is mounted in the door panel and Iím trying to figure out a way to mount them in my door panels and make it look nice. The problem is there are no mounting holes or anything to keep them in place. They just pretty much snapped in the original door panels. Does anyone have any ideas? Are there aftermarket switches for street rods out there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010397.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	25872  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

What you need to do is take off your door panels and find a good place to mount the switch opposite of an opening in the door's sheet metal. Make sure that both doors have the same opening in the same place. Then you'll need to cut out an opening in the panel and the padding that looks like the curved part towards the middle of the switch plate WITHOUT cutting the fabric on the outside of the door panel. Go to the front side of the panel and cut a slit in the fabric in the middle of that opening. Then you need to drill at least two, and probably four holes in the panel from the back side, with corresponding holes in the switch plate, again without going through the fabric on the outside of the panel. From the outside, put small flat headed bolts under the padding and under the fabric through the panel using a dab of glue to hold the bolt heads in place. Then, after the glue on the bolts dries, from the back side of the door panel, pull the fabric through and glue it to the back side of the panel. You will need to make relief cuts in the fabric at the corners of the opening to make the fabric lay down smoothly. Then mount the switch plate on the bolts, put either capture nuts or nuts with washers and lock washers on the bolts and tighten them down to hold your switch plate in place. Does that make sense, or would you like some pictures?

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Sacred Steel

Last photo:

Thanks DanTwoLakes, That does make sense and it is a very good idea that I will use. Can I drill through the switch plate without ruining it? The only thing I may do differently is instead of drilling holes through the switch plate, I will cut out a piece of 16 gauge sheet metal a little larger than the switch plate, drill the holes in that and sandwich the switch plate between the metal plate and the door panel. I am afraid that if I drill through the switch plate I may wreck it.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:56 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Not being able to see the switch plate in person, it looked like there was flat plastic at the outer edges that could be drilled through for mounting. If you can't drill through it, what you have in mind will work just fine. You could also use plastic instead of the sheet metal. Good luck.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Sacred Steel

Last photo:

Thanks again. That flat piece is actually a box about 1/2" or so high and houses the internals.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:37 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

What about mounting it in the floor beside the seat or under the front of the seat?
Shane

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.