Hot Rod Forum banner

power steering on 50 jeepster

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  retired 56 
#1 ·
can I put power steering on a 1950 willys jeepster, If not I am going to get rid of it. Thank you

#2 ·
Sure you can! Well, maybe. You should have a Saginaw steering box. Is it tight around the box, or is there a bit of room (about 2" between existing steering box and engine)? It there's some room, you can bolt a Saginaw power steering box in it's place. You'll need to drill a couple holes in the left frame rail, and you'll need to cut the steering shaft off and weld an end on to bolt to the power steering box "rag" joint. This is easier than it sounds. If there's room for the power box it's not to difficult. You'll have to fab a bracket for the PS pump, but that shouldn't be to hard.

I did this on a 63 Rambler, but I swapped a newer engine in that had a PS pump. What engine does your Jeepster have -- the F-head four or the 226 L-head six? Or has it had an engine swap?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.