Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - power steering
Thread: power steering
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2002, 07:45 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post power steering

OK, guys, here's the deal...'40 Buick Super coupe(think 40-41 Chevy,only heavier), fairly heavy car at about 3500lbs, small block 350, FatMan complete stage II front stub assembly, Mid-80's MustangII power rack, GM power steering pump from an early '70's Caddy, already installed the aftermarket "valve" to slow down the steering and correct the pressure from the GM pump to more match the Ford power rack. It's better, but still steers too much like a go cart...way too quick for me. I don't want to run manual steering on this car, it is not a "hot rod", it a cruiser with all the bells and whistles made for doing the hi-way thang, not the drag strip and I don't like to wrestle the steering in close quarters. Anyone have a clue what to do next to make the steering more user friendly??? Is there any way to adapt the new style "assisted steering" set ups like on vehicles now or is that type steering a computer related thing? The assisted steering style works like power steering at slow speeds but with more speed, the steering reverts back closer to a manual model..it has "computer controlled" written all over it, maybe someone knows for sure....PACO