Power Steering 69 Camaro? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2010, 10:01 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Power Steering 69 Camaro?

On my Camaro, I have power steering fluid leaking out from under the power steering unit,"leak appears to be right at the bottom" the unit with the 2 lines going into the top. Question, the leak looks like its around a gasket that a control arm approx 8" in length is attached to, that attaches to the linkage that turns the wheels, can I pull this 8 inch arm off from the bottom of the power steering unit and just replace the gasket, groment?? The arm is only held on with a large nut, not sure what size it is, thanks in advance, I thought it was my from driver side brakes leaking fluid till I took a look this mourning, thanks Jeff J

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2010, 10:08 AM

Last photo:

I will try to post a photo so you get a better idea of what I mean, thanks. Jeff
Old 08-07-2010, 10:55 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff J
On my Camaro, I have power steering fluid leaking out from under the power steering unit,"leak appears to be right at the bottom" the unit with the 2 lines going into the top. Question, the leak looks like its around a gasket that a control arm approx 8" in length is attached to, that attaches to the linkage that turns the wheels, can I pull this 8 inch arm off from the bottom of the power steering unit and just replace the gasket, groment?? The arm is only held on with a large nut, not sure what size it is, thanks in advance, I thought it was my from driver side brakes leaking fluid till I took a look this mourning, thanks Jeff J
The "power steering unit" is the steering box. The 8" arm is the pitman arm and the shaft with the leaky seal is the pitman shaft. You can replace this seal, but it takes a little work. The nut on the pitman arm requires a large socket and is torqued to over 150 ft-lbs, so you'll need the appropriate tools to remove this then to retorque it when done. Next, the arm is pressed on the shaft and requires a pitman arm puller to remove it. Finally, the seal is pressed into the steering box. One trick to remove it is to drill three small holes equally spaced in the metal part of the seal. Screw a sheet metal screw into each and use these to pull the seal out. Be very careful not to scratch the pitman shaft. The new seal gets hammered into place using an appropriate size piece of pipe. Reverse the process to reassemble, taking care to ensure that the pitman arm goes on in the same orientation that it came off. Torque the nut.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:25 PM

Last photo:

wow, thanks that is some great help in your post, since I don't have to have the car for a driver I am lucky in the fact I can take my time making all these repairs and getting it ready for the street again, thanks alot, just knowing what the parts are called is a big help.... Jeff
Old 08-07-2010, 04:21 PM
WHO WHAT ME WAIT I DON'T KNOW.

Last journal entry: Door skins removed
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The "power steering unit" is the steering box. The 8" arm is the pitman arm and the shaft with the leaky seal is the pitman shaft. You can replace this seal, but it takes a little work. The nut on the pitman arm requires a large socket and is torqued to over 150 ft-lbs, so you'll need the appropriate tools to remove this then to retorque it when done. Next, the arm is pressed on the shaft and requires a pitman arm puller to remove it. Finally, the seal is pressed into the steering box. One trick to remove it is to drill three small holes equally spaced in the metal part of the seal. Screw a sheet metal screw into each and use these to pull the seal out. Be very careful not to scratch the pitman shaft. The new seal gets hammered into place using an appropriate size piece of pipe. Reverse the process to reassemble, taking care to ensure that the pitman arm goes on in the same orientation that it came off. Torque the nut.
another trick is to remove the seal retainer start the car and turn the steering wheel and the presser will blow the seal out with out the chance of scoring sector shaft.. oh yes install the pitman arm nut so the seal will stay on the on the shaft so you have a better idea how it goes in...
Old 08-07-2010, 04:48 PM

Last photo:

'''

thanks, didn't even know what a pittman arm was until today, all I know is the sucker is leaking,, lol,, thanks again,, Jeff
Old 08-09-2010, 08:27 PM

I canít but agree.

__________________________________________________ _______
Come visit the author latest websites on cheap jerseys and cheap nfl jerseys .you can get what you want.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.